Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Happy Anniversary to Live Aid - 35 years ago. What were you doing on 13th July 1985?
Quote | Reply
13th July 1985

one of those days when most of us can remember what we were doing.....at least those over 50 and living in the UK or USA.

i had the day off work from my summer job in a department store, and watched my younger brother finish 3rd in the english schools track and field champs. Then a drive home in the family car with the concert on the radio.
Quote Reply
Re: Happy Anniversary to Live Aid - 35 years ago. What were you doing on 13th July 1985? [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Home from college for the summer and had a family get together that day, but spent a good chunk of the afternoon in front of the TV watching it. U2, Queen and Bowie where my favorite performances from London, while I also remember Tom Petty, the Pretenders and the Cars from Philadelphia. The Led Zep reunion was disappointing, also remember Mick Jagger pulling Tina Turner’s skirt off.

Whatever replies end up here will be topped by RandMart since he was there. <insert Napoleon Dynamite voice: “Lucky!”>

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Happy Anniversary to Live Aid - 35 years ago. What were you doing on 13th July 1985? [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sitting in the family room as a 16 year old watching some freaking incredible performances by Queen, David Bowie, and U2. Those were some performances for the ages.
Quote Reply
Re: Happy Anniversary to Live Aid - 35 years ago. What were you doing on 13th July 1985? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
Sitting in the family room as a 16 year old watching some freaking incredible performances by Queen, David Bowie, and U2. Those were some performances for the ages.

Yup. Same here. I was almost 17.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea. Out running?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in Tempe, AZ. Watched with my housemates at the time.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was riding a mower and weed eating, working for a buddies landscaping company in Bradenton, FL until about 4 and then went to a friends house where they were partying and watched until the end, feeling no pain.

I was 20 years old and was grandfathered in so I could still drink legally in Florida. Not that I wouldn’t have been drinking anyway.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was at a rock concert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waiting for my daughter to be born. Only a few days later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
watching it on tv.

for some reason, even though i lived in philly and enjoyed going to concerts, was never at all tempted to go to that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vaguely remember it, but I was close to turning 7yrs old.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was 11, I watched it in my parents living room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paging Randmart . . .

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not over 50 (barely).

Watched it on TV in the UK, tuned in right at the start and stayed up late into the night to watch it all. Watched mainly for Queen, Simple Minds and U2 - all bands whose music I really loved at the time and that have stayed with me to this day. I also remember the video shown toward the end of the night of Ethiopian kids affected by famine, set to The Cars' "Drive", really having an emotional impact.

Watched a decent amount of videos of concert yesterday and there were a bunch of bands I don't even remember watching.

At that time I had almost zero idea where Philadelphia was, beyond "somewhere over there in America". Little did I know then I'd eventually end up living here.
Quote Reply
Re: Happy Anniversary to Live Aid - 35 years ago. What were you doing on 13th July 1985? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I spent most of the day yesterday pulling clips from YouTube, trying to keep up with the timeline

http://liveaid.free.fr/pages/timeline-uk.html

I posted this link in the "LR Ticket" thread; I was NOT interviewed

https://www.phillymag.com/...10/live-aid-history/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Happy Anniversary to Live Aid - 35 years ago. What were you doing on 13th July 1985? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
watching it on tv.

for some reason, even though i lived in philly and enjoyed going to concerts, was never at all tempted to go to that one.

If I'm not mistaken [and there's always that risk], this was the last show *I* ever saw at JFK, and I'd been to some huge ones. They would have all-day shows - almost mini-festivals - with 4 or 5 bands on the lineup, and I would go to a couple of those each year

Quote Reply
Re: Happy Anniversary to Live Aid - 35 years ago. What were you doing on 13th July 1985? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You still haven't responded directly to the question. You are to modest.

Folks, Randmart could have responded, "I was backstage in Philly smelling Madonna and giving a cigarette to Keith Richards."

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Happy Anniversary to Live Aid - 35 years ago. What were you doing on 13th July 1985? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
You are too modest.

Yeah, well it's been told enough times, I didn't feel the need to go back into it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly don't know. Probably deployed on a fast boat somewhere in the Atlantic. In the summer of 1985 I would have been attached to the USS Scamp (SSN-588) and was probably either sleeping or standing ERS/EWS. If we were in port I was probably either trying to fix the old girl so we could deploy or enjoying time with my wife and that didn't involve watching TV back then. There were no kids in the picture yet.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 years old at the time. My memories are quite fuzzy. My oldest brother was 16 and may have been watching. I doubt very much that I gave a crap. Likely I was outside playing with my friends.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Happy Anniversary to Live Aid - 35 years ago. What were you doing on 13th July 1985? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:
watching it on tv.

If I'm not mistaken [and there's always that risk], this was the last show *I* ever saw at JFK, and I'd been to some huge ones. They would have all-day shows - almost mini-festivals - with 4 or 5 bands on the lineup, and I would go to a couple of those each year

JFK was a spectacular dump of a stadium, but damn I saw some good concerts there. I was lucky enough to live 40 minutes away in high school, so we saw Live Aid and a bunch of other festivals, plus U2 and Pink Floyd before it shut down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to be out of state or country doing some sort of pro triathlon race. I recall this thing happening, but most the bands were not that interesting to me at the time, I was a generation before them. Except for Led Zeppelin, and that is what I recall wanting to see, but never did. My usual plans were to be at a race site at least 3 days to a week ahead of time, and was pretty unplugged from media the whole time, except for catching a movie the day before to relax..

I did see the Queen movie recently, and it was fantastic. Now wish I was in a place to have watched that concert, will have to settle for the documentaries about it now..
Quote Reply
Re: Happy Anniversary to Live Aid - 35 years ago. What were you doing on 13th July 1985? [MikeH in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:
JFK was a spectacular dump of a stadium, but damn I saw some good concerts there. I was lucky enough to live 40 minutes away in high school, so we saw Live Aid and a bunch of other festivals, plus U2 and Pink Floyd before it shut down.

I'm sure we were at a lot of the same shows, then

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent the entire day and into the night riveted to the TV. The fact that the big-name performances towards the end were for the most part total misfires mattered not one bit; there was a big, fat rainbow over the entire proceedings and Bob Geldof and Midge Ure were on pedestals 100 ft high. Has there been a definitive doc on the day made yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Happy Anniversary to Live Aid - 35 years ago. What were you doing on 13th July 1985? [alltom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alltom1 wrote:
Has there been a definitive doc on the day made yet?

The fees for the rights to the footage would be insane, I'm guessing

Quote Reply