Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 15 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you? How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 15 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my goals were to continue to use healthy coping skills (5/7) and bike more. I rode fewer miles than last week, but I did ride twice. Oklahoma is HOT, by the way...

M: 7.1 mi run + 1000m swim
T: 7.5 mi run + 1400m swim
W: 10.5 mi run + 700m swim
T: 34 mi bike
F: 11 mi run + 600m swim
S: 7.8 mi run + 1000m swim
S: 47 mi bike

goals this week are the same as last.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay cool and hydrated!

I'm still recovering so no goals last week.

One fun thing from last week was my first adventure/scavenger hunt-esque run. It's put on by an orienteering group and to ensure physical distancing etc there was an app we downloaded and used to "punch" the checkpoints. It was a good hour spent in a new to us park. Some pictures here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBa5ZBbldSp/

Still taking it a day at a time this week so no goals as such. Hope the rest of the women are well.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 15 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved orienteering (and the orienteering community).

I have spent the last two days trying to convince myself to do something more active than walking. I've failed miserably.

The kids are at each other all the time - so much screaming/crying/yelling. I'm so done with it. No word on when I'm going back to work at the lab, but the kids are going to daycare the beginning of July. I'm kind of anxious about it, but we can't keep going like this.

Booked a condo in Canmore over Canada day. New scenery and new places for the kids to ride their bikes. When I told them today, they immediately started making lists of stuffies/toys they wanted to take. :P

My amazing friends snagged backcountry reservations for 4 nights at the end of July - I'm soooo excited.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 15 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Walking is cool now! https://www.outsideonline.com/...comeback-coronavirus

Some good positives in there, Canmore, daycare, backcountry! You got this, one day at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 15 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Walking is cool now! https://www.outsideonline.com/...comeback-coronavirus

Some good positives in there, Canmore, daycare, backcountry! You got this, one day at a time.

This is funny. I'd be more impressed with my walking, but it's a daily activity for me (thanks dog!).

I'm impatiently waiting on more info about our swimming pools reopening - but it sounds like it will be a while, maybe July?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*sneaking back in after I started posting, coronavirus happened, work shit hit the fan, and I fell off the face of the earth with some things*

These past couple months have been a crazy ride. I'm a professor and the spring semester turned into one of keeping my head above water. The summer is...not the normal break that I usually get, since my university is being hella vague and slow about our plans for the fall. I know I'm going to have to adapt my teaching, but not knowing what to do is really frustrating. And I'm going up for tenure, so work is just a giant ball of "get as much research done as I can now, write down ideas for teaching, and get your tenure packet together."

The one constant has been training. Running, riding, and now swimming has gotten me outside almost every day, kept a tiny bit of structure, and is basically the reason I haven't completely lost it yet. As of right now, 3 of my races are currently a go starting at the end of July...TBD if a) that holds and b) I decide to do any of them.

This week:
Mon: 1:10 intervals ride/strength
Tues: 50 min speed interval run, 30 min swim
Wed: 1 hour recovery ride, 10 min brick, strength
Thurs: 1:05 run with tempo repeats/30 min swim
Fri: 1:50 ride with hill repeats/strength
Sat: 60 min run with hill repeats

I'm dialing back some of the volume and focusing on more intensity in the workouts right now. I finally told my coach that I've managed to lose weight (this has been about 3 years of utter frustration, and for the longest time I didn't want to say anything because I'm so afraid it's a fluke), but in tracking, it looks like I hit a plateau right when we started increasing volume. I've got a little bit of time before I *need* to add more volume, so he was really awesome about being willing to drop the volume down and work in some new things. Hopefully this nudges me off the plateau.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 15 Edition [IronScholar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yo everyone! Sounds like most of us are humming along "tickety boo," as my English relatives say (I get a lot of good ones out of them).

Scheherezade, I'm so glad you found an adventure that works with your recovery! Been thinking about you.

TC-5/7! Great job!

EDBB--I know so many parents who are struggling right now. I'm so sorry! And glad that you're thinking about getting out of Dodge for a little bit. Canmore is one of my favorite places.

IronScholar--I'm also a prof, and can confirm that last semester was so crazy. My university is being equally as difficult. They have conveyed plans that seem somehow both a bit vague and whimsically complicated, involving specific room capacities and social distancing guidelines that I'm absolutely unconvinced will be followed once we get a bunch of late-stage adolescents who have been cooped up for six months all on the same campus together. AND, we're supposed to figure out how to teach under these new circumstances, AND accommodate anyone who wants to remain at home, AND be prepared to return to fully online teaching at the drop of a hat. In the meantime, I have no idea how they expect me to get tenure WITHOUT A LIBRARY. As an historian, it's not just my home institution's library that I'm lacking, but I really need to see archival documents in research libraries around the country that aren't opening, so, yeah. It's a shitshow. So, I'm with you. I'm glad that you're "dialing in" your volume to better work with your own goals.

I'm all right. I did everything I set out to do last week. I'm struggling to run in the heat, which happened last year too, so I'm taking it extra easy and playing around with nutrition. None of my current goals are currently affected by lower run volume or shorter distances, so the workout changes are no big deal at the moment. Gah I want to swim again!

M: Long ride (DONE!)
T: Long run plus leg strength (Soon to be done!)
W: Threshold ride
Th: Ride plus short brick run
F: Run speed work
Sa: REST!
Su: short run and swim strength

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 15 Edition [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BingTri wrote:
Y They have conveyed plans that seem somehow both a bit vague and whimsically complicated, involving specific room capacities and social distancing guidelines that I'm absolutely unconvinced will be followed once we get a bunch of late-stage adolescents who have been cooped up for six months all on the same campus together. AND, we're supposed to figure out how to teach under these new circumstances, AND accommodate anyone who wants to remain at home, AND be prepared to return to fully online teaching at the drop of a hat.

ALL OF THE ABOVE.

I also think that they are being complete assholes to the students. They've said it will be a mix of online classes, hybrid classes, and in-person classes, and they aren't going to know the final decisions until August 1. Except in reality, most of the in-person classes are going to force the students in to some hybrid online format, because, for example, my class of 32 is in a room that will only hold 8. So they're going to have to do some rotation where only certain students come on certain days, and if it's not your day, you're doing the class online.

I would be furious if I were a student.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 15 Edition [IronScholar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that Hybrid teaching stuff is a whole other bag of poo. We are apparently finding out our teaching situations today (in-person, hybrid, or online). They're releasing the information about classrooms and such. The thing is, because I'm in music, we need specialized equipment (pianos, white boards with musical staffs on them, document cameras to project musical scores on a screen, etc.). So, it's just going to be a clusterfuck. I am lucky, though, as I don't do labs or lessons or anything else that really requires super expensive sciency stuff or in-person lessons.

I'm not really going to worry about it until August, partially because it's what I always do to allow myself some space for my own research, and partially because so much can change between now and then. But when I do, I just start slamming my head on my desk over and over again.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply