Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I got a very deserved lesson in footpath-sharing etiquette this morning and I feel so ashamed.
Quote | Reply
Not sure what I'm looking for here aside from I just need to talk about this. I've been riding my bike in laps around the local footpath (made for walking, biking, etc.). There's a dashed yellow line down the middle so people can go both directions. Now that the weather is nicer, the path has gotten busier, plus there are signs up of "how to practice social distancing while on the path." One of the items is "warn people when you are near them." So if I'm coming up on people walking, particularly people with dogs on leashes, I've been saying "on your left" or "bike" (which I thought was more informative for dog-owners, because there are some dogs that really seem to think bikes are fun things to chase). In retrospect, just plain "bike" is maybe a little less polite. (It takes so much less energy to say...)

I also assumed - incorrectly - that the fastest-moving thing had the right-of-way. In retrospect, this seems very stupid to have assumed. So, in the situation this morning, I was approaching a couple with 2 dogs going in the same direction I was, and those people were about to pass a person going in the opposite direction. I said "bike!" because of (a) the dogs and (b) my incorrect assumption that I have some magical right-of-way. The guy holding the dog leash said "you don't own the bike path" and this is what made me feel ashamed. He is ABSOLUTELY right. It's totally unfair of me to expect others to hop out of my way when I can just as easily slow down and wait until I can pass freely on the left.

I appreciate that the guy pointed it out because now I can be more polite - and I totally was for the rest of the ride - but I just feel so ashamed that I didn't realize all of this on my own. I really have been trying to do my best to share the space and not scare people by zipping by them.

So now I know, and I can do better, but feel very ashamed and also sort of not-smart.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I got a very deserved lesson in footpath-sharing etiquette this morning and I feel so ashamed. [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't even biked outside. All these people on "my" trail, I don't have the patience for it and so have done all my biking on Zwift.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: I got a very deserved lesson in footpath-sharing etiquette this morning and I feel so ashamed. [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to give you a hug right now. I know they aren't your thing, so that might be the wrong thing to say, but it's how I feel.

You weren't trying to be a jerk, you were trying really hard to do all the right things.

Everything is generally awkward and confusing right now. A lady and I had a "you go, no you go" moment at the grocery store the other day and she commented that is like trying to play Tetris. Everyone is trying to fit in the "right" spots.

Take it as a learning moment and try not to beat yourself up.
Quote Reply
Re: I got a very deserved lesson in footpath-sharing etiquette this morning and I feel so ashamed. [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm feeling a lot better now. I really was trying my best. I learned something. I'm allowed to make mistakes.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"you don't know what you don't know until you don't know it."
Well done. Lesson learned and thank you for sharing.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad that you took this as a learning experience, and you can set a good example for others using this knowledge.

Also, you may want to check out the speed limit for the path as well. I know every multi-use trail I've ever been on has a bike speed limit of 15mph even though it may not be overtly posted out there.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: I got a very deserved lesson in footpath-sharing etiquette this morning and I feel so ashamed. [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, you may want to check out the speed limit for the path as well.

Yes, this.

I always assume that everyone (other cyclists, walkers, drivers, EVERYONE) is an idiot and will do something stupid. And one thing about coming up behind and passing someone - I always say, "Passing - stay right". If you say, "On your left", the vast majority of people hear "LEFT" and will tend to move that way, which you don't want.

I'm sure you next ride will be much better. And yes, I'm also jealous that your pool is open.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You learned and that's what is important. Honestly - I would keep saying "On your Left". Generally if I hear that from someone, it means it is a bike or at least someone going faster than I am at the moment.

Yes, on shared use -walkers have right of way to "vehicles" (bicycles, rollerblades, etc).

I live near an area that has track cycling and a pretty developed cycling racing culture - there is an awesome bike path (at least the width of a standard interstate lane) that has three marked lanes (one way). One lane (widest) is for cycling, the middle is for things like roller blading and the "slow lane" is for walking/running. They use this paved loop for criterium races and people go there for a really safe place to train and do harder workouts on their bike without worrying about cars (it's 1 mile long). The thing was designed for road cyclists.

Be always aware and ready to react. I've had people move "to the left" if I announce "on your left" - not sure why this happens. Headphones have also become a giant problem and people can't hear you. Also - kids on bikes are highly unpredictable and at the area I mentioned above, people will have their kids (little ones with training wheels) out in the bike lane while they walk in the walking lane. I've had people get mad at me for riding my bike at 20+mph while their little ones are wobbling along - in that case I reminded them that this was for fast cyclists and that in reality the safest place for kids on training wheels should be in the walking lane.
Quote Reply
Re: I got a very deserved lesson in footpath-sharing etiquette this morning and I feel so ashamed. [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah, I will look into the speed limit. I had no idea such a thing might exist. The good news is I'm a slow enough cyclist that it wouldn't always be problematic...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are being very gracious and humble in having learned that bikes must yield to pedestrians, always.

That being said, I have to put in a pitch about hiking trails used by bikes, runners, walkers, dogs, equestrians. I am not sure legally but for safety reasons, I think equestrians should always have top claim. It is really dangerous to have your dog run up to a horse, your kid run up to a horse, you biking fast around a corner of the trail and startling a horse coming toward you. Proper biking etiquette around horses is to slow down, call out to the rider, ask them if they would like you to stop while they walk their horse past your bike.

And for those of you (myself included) who hike with your dogs, if your dog is off leash and also dragging their leash, it doesn't matter "she's/he's friendly". You MUST have your dog under complete control around horses and bikes. I can't tell you how many idiots think it's ok for their dog dragging a leash to run up to my mountain bike. I try to explain to them that the leash could be entangled in the spokes etc. Or my friend is trail riding her horse (at a walk) when a dog runs up to the horse and the owner says the dog is friendly. Maybe the horse is spooky and hasn't been around dogs much.

Please have some courtesy and common sense.

OK done with my pet peeve for today (pun intended).
Thanks for listening.
BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: I got a very deserved lesson in footpath-sharing etiquette this morning and I feel so ashamed. [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point about horses. Where are you that horses are common on trails?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eastern Massachusetts...
Quote Reply
Re: I got a very deserved lesson in footpath-sharing etiquette this morning and I feel so ashamed. [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please don't feel bad, you learned something and that's great! And you called out, some people don't even do that. I live near some normally quiet paths that have been overrun these past few months and I feel like a ping pong ball out there.

I find that saying "behind you" works. I've already slowed down and they can do their little jig after they jump out of their skin, and then I'll ride in whatever spot they leave open. :)

As others have noted, when you say "on your left/right", all they tend to hear is the direction and 9 times out of 10 that's the way they jump. Especially now that we're dealing with people not used to using, much less sharing, trails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edit: just saw this was from May! Hope you've been having happier times on the path since.
Last edited by: kiki: Jun 21, 20 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: I got a very deserved lesson in footpath-sharing etiquette this morning and I feel so ashamed. [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have, thanks.

Quote Reply