Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you have a needle and thread and know how to use it?
Quote | Reply
I’m curious how many people have a needle and thread and know how to sew a somewhat straight line?

The comments online regarding this mask order are acting like taking and object and pushing it in and out of something repeatedly is rocket science. I mean if it was none of them would exist.

So, could you sew a mask from an old shirt? Even if you had to consult YouTube?

I made one by hand while watching tv in less than an hour and have been wearing it daily. It has a pocket I stuff a few tissues in before heading out and throw them out before washing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a needle and thread and know how to use it? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I have that. And pro tip if you want extra durability or in a pinch you can use dental floss

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a needle and thread and know how to use it? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
I’m curious how many people have a needle and thread and know how to sew a somewhat straight line?

The comments online regarding this mask order are acting like taking and object and pushing it in and out of something repeatedly is rocket science. I mean if it was none of them would exist.

I made one by hand while watching tv in less than an hour and have been wearing it daily. It has a pocket I stuff a few tissues in before heading out and throw them out before washing it.

I could and I have a couple needles/thread in my backpacking kit and used them a couple times while hiking to fix things. But since my wife quilts I will let her do this by machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have needle and thread in the house. I, personally, lack the skills to sew a button.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a needle and thread and know how to use it? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Yes I have that. And pro tip if you want extra durability or in a pinch you can use dental floss
Yes and the needle eye must be wide enough for the dental floss to fit through. If one can’t hand sew and can use and iron, buy a roll of stitch witchery to seal the folds.

Quote | Reply
I'm self taught but I've sowed a tail back on my sons stuffed fox and stitched a few watch straps together. I'm sure I could figure out how to make a mask, however I have some N95's left over from cleaning up all the mouse poop from the squatters in my garage last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but it doesn't surprise me how helpless some people are. I once had to train someone how to use a push broom (I wish I was joking).

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a needle and thread and know how to use it? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Yeah, but it doesn't surprise me how helpless some people are. I once had to train someone how to use a push broom (I wish I was joking).

Did they try to pull it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. I learned how to sew when I was a kid. I gave my sewing machine away when I moved to Tennessee but every time I watch Project Runway it makes me want to start sewing again so I ordered all new stuff and I’m waiting for it all to arrive. Then I will brush up my skills making masks and then later, some clothes.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a needle and thread and know how to use it? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
j p o wrote:

Did they try to pull it?

Kind of. It was back in college working at McD's. She was college age. She had never seen one. Had grown up well off and sheltered. They told her to sweep the lobby. She got the broom and was just dumbfounded. Also couldn't figure out how to get the stuff into the dustpan without just scattering it. She was not bright to say the least. (I tried really hard but I can't not say this, why is it I think if was married to a Trump that she would be put in charge of nuclear weapons?)

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a needle and thread and know how to use it? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
j p o wrote:

Did they try to pull it?

Kind of. It was back in college working at McD's. She was college age. She had never seen one. Had grown up well off and sheltered. They told her to sweep the lobby. She got the broom and was just dumbfounded. Also couldn't figure out how to get the stuff into the dustpan without just scattering it. She was not bright to say the least. (I tried really hard but I can't not say this, why is it I think if was married to a Trump that she would be put in charge of nuclear weapons?)

I had a junior Sailor on a ship who was out painting the bulkheads on the forward part of the ship. I was talking to him when I realized something didn't look quite right. Turns out he was painting with the plastic wrapping still on his paintbrush.

Lots of people out there with zero common sense or basic skills. I attribute this to many factors, one of which is that we've all but stopped teaching practical life skills in schools.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Youtube. There is pretty much a video on how to make anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a needle and thread and know how to use it? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
j p o wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
j p o wrote:

Did they try to pull it?

I had a junior Sailor on a ship who was out painting the bulkheads on the forward part of the ship. I was talking to him when I realized something didn't look quite right. Turns out he was painting with the plastic wrapping still on his paintbrush.

Lots of people out there with zero common sense or basic skills. I attribute this to many factors, one of which is that we've all but stopped teaching practical life skills in schools.

I don't consider myself that old and even I had to take home education in 7th grade where one of the modules was learning how to sew, including using a sewing machine to make basic clothing items. One of the other modules was cooking/baking. You had to eat what you made, so it was advantageous to perform at least marginally well. I made some pretty tasty cinnamon rolls.

And yes, I have a needle and thread, use them all the time for basic repairs, clothing or otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you have a needle and thread and know how to use it? [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’ll, I remember taking this in junior high and high school, mostly cooking (I still love to cook) but also sewing. Haven’t done it in ages but I wouldn’t mind trying it again to get the basics down.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our in-house production of fabric masks began today and we'll be ramping up over the weekend. We're using a sewing machine though, not needle and thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a needle is just a small, very skinny tool. IMaybe more people can't sew is because it's long been women's (and ok sailor's) work. So lots of men and post-70s women think "nope not for me" (same with cooking in a surprising number of younger women I know)

anyway, simple home sewing costs a fortune if outsourced, It's easier just to learn the basics.
Last edited by: kiki: Apr 4, 20 1:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife owned a bridal shop and made custom dresses. So she could make stylish masks for us.

In middle school we had to take home ec which included sewing. I could figure it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and no.

We had “home ec” back when I was in middle school so I have sown before. I would assume a little time on YouTube would get me up to speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My grandfather used to darn his own socks.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

Geesh...

Don't you know that duct tape works better than needle and thread?
Quote Reply