Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

California numbers
Quote | Reply
I live in Michigan, our numbers are pretty big, and we have had stay at home for a few weeks now (I have lost count I think its 3 weeks).

Wondering how California numbers are staying so low.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: California numbers [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think CA will see a surge. Population dense areas like SF have been hit hard. Additionally, we have two communities that may see a massive outbreak: homeless and illegals. The homeless are being gathered up and put into hotels. Together. Secondly, we have a massive population of illegals who are less likely to seek medical care and they have generations living together in small housing / concentrated neighborhoods.

LA is very spread out and much of CA is quite rural. Perhaps some early actions/decisions will pay off, but I’d say give us two or three weeks and we shall see.
Quote Reply
Re: California numbers [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how are they going to get all of the homeless out of those hotels and who is going to pay for the cleanup when this passes?
Quote Reply
Re: California numbers [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
//going to pay for the cleanup when this passes? //

Taxpayers. Maybe another gas tax is in order. We have something like $1/gallon in taxes here so even if gas were free it’d cost $1/gallon in CA, so what’s another $.20/gallon gonna hurt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like some other places, no tests (or results) no numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Silicon Valley, and we quickly moved to "shelter in place" as soon as a few cases appeared. The biggest growth in cases is happening in the LA area. Hopefully numbers will start to drop everywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CA may yet see big numbers but Newsom and mayors shut things down pretty quickly. They were fortunate that it hit Seattle first.

Plus the folks in the big cities also listened the experts and not the President. SF in particular is also a place where many can work from home so they didn’t drag their feet.

Compared to NYC, CA cities are also much less dense.
Last edited by: torrey: Apr 3, 20 16:20
Quote Reply
Re: California numbers [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
//going to pay for the cleanup when this passes? //

Taxpayers. Maybe another gas tax is in order. We have something like $1/gallon in taxes here so even if gas were free it’d cost $1/gallon in CA, so what’s another $.20/gallon gonna hurt?
The homeless taxes people are paying may finally be put to some good use other than for the additional homeless trash hauling they are currently paying for. Most of the homeless will go inside if they are cold, tired and/or can’t buy booze whenever they want. The drug addicts will still be out. The undocumented population will never be true and yes, they will not seek medical help if ill.

Quote | Reply
So I live in MI for last 4 years, have a house in CA (as well as Ops center there with 100+ employees)....so I can see both sides.

CA shut down almost immediately. MI/midwest, has not....well not really. CA everyone has face masks. I posted in another thread but I was in the drive-thru in a Chick-fil-A yesterday & zero face-masks and no social distancing.

We've had more confirmed cases of C19 in our MI office, which closed one week prior to the order, than we have had in our CA center.

Why? No idea....that will be the ??? that needs to be solved. Weather, indoor/outdoor, proximity, Intl airport + auto industry-China connection/% of fat people (seriously, that seems to one of the leading indicators for <60).....I don't know, but that MI has a 5x greater (now) per 100k than CA does. Then again ditto FL.....but I have a feeling that is about to change for the worst.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in Oregon we shut down a little behind WA and San Francisco, although we had some of the earliest cases in the US. But our shutdown seems to have been effective, we have been holding pretty steady on daily new case count for about a week now. Our ER situation is a significant drop in total ER admissions- about half the normal amount, and a decreasing percentage of them being COVID19 related since a peak about 3/15. The "new cases by date of onset of symptoms" looks flat or decreasing since about 3/19 (those numbers change retroactively as new cases come into the hospital that had symptoms start earlier). The only thing that looks "in the red" right now is low inventory of PPE.
Quote Reply
Re: California numbers [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
So I live in MI for last 4 years, have a house in CA (as well as Ops center there with 100+ employees)....so I can see both sides.

CA shut down almost immediately. MI/midwest, has not....well not really. CA everyone has face masks. I posted in another thread but I was in the drive-thru in a Chick-fil-A yesterday & zero face-masks and no social distancing.

We've had more confirmed cases of C19 in our MI office, which closed one week prior to the order, than we have had in our CA center.

Why? No idea....that will be the ??? that needs to be solved. Weather, indoor/outdoor, proximity, Intl airport + auto industry-China connection/% of fat people (seriously, that seems to one of the leading indicators for <60).....I don't know, but that MI has a 5x greater (now) per 100k than CA does. Then again ditto FL.....but I have a feeling that is about to change for the worst.

Dr. Birx on today's press conference praised California and Washington, saying their efforts may have successfully flattened the curve and she was hopeful that as other areas have cranked down, they might not follow NY's numbers.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: California numbers [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
torrey wrote:
CA may yet see big numbers but Newsom and mayors shut things down pretty quickly. They were fortunate that it hit Seattle first.

Plus the folks in the big cities also listened the experts and not the President. SF in particular is also a place where many can work from home so they didn’t drag their feet.

Compared to NYC, CA cities are also much less dense.

CA is also built around car drivers. Less mass transit in this situation is a good thing.

Uhm you did see I asked about Mi v Ca.. In Michigan when we hear mass transit, we call the folks with the pickup trucks, cause we assume you got a mess of dirt or something to move. That or its some sort of mobile church.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well no one is out of the woods as of yet, but we listened to our LA mayor and state Governor, both who acted pretty quickly when they saw things going south. And I have to say, even the far right in our state is on board, I have never heard so many compliments for these two guys, and mostly without the political bullshit that usually goes with it. Churches are closed and doing online gatherings, none of the crap we are seeing in Fla and others republican strongholds. And I was out today and people were almost all wearing masks, and most with gloves too.

The big box stores are working like a well oiled machine, letting just a few folks at a time, keeping social distancing at every step, and cleaning up almost constantly. It was my first foray in over a week, was quite hesitant, but very proud of what I was seeing out there as a rule. I do worry about some of the hispanic community, they have a harder road to travel when everything just shuts down. We have rounded up the homeless, and are actively trying to mitigate the prison populations. Every major group is being looked at, and something is being done, and has been for quite sometime now.

Of course if you want to get political, one can cherry pick some thing here or there, the lone paddler at Malibu made the national news today I see. But that is a far cry from a couple weeks ago when the beaches were just overrun with all the folks cooped up in their homes with no where else to go. We saw the problem, then hit it was a sledge hammer, a whack a mole of every type of gathering you could think of.

I hope it all works out for us, we have 40 million people, more than a lot of countries. It seems like we are not near the worst news nationally each day, and other spots seem to jump ahead of us with their own spikes happening. Probably a very good thing our last governor had the foresight to start that rainy day fund too. Probably never envisioned it would be used the very next year though, but 20 or so billion doesn't hurt when something like this hits your state..

Something I saw today, must have originated somewhere in the sunshine state;

California leads the way again...
*A RECAP OF THE LAST THREE WEEKS*
AMERICA: Oh my god! Coronavirus! What should we do?
CALIFORNIA: Shut down your state.
AMERICA: Wait... what? Why?
CALIFORNIA: Because 40 million people live here and we did it early, and it’s working.
NEBRASKA: Whoa... whoa... let’s not be hasty now. The President said that this whole coronavirus thing is a Democratic hoax.
CALIFORNIA: He also said that windmills cause cancer. Shut down your state.
TEXAS: But the President said that we only have 15 cases and soon it'll be zero.
CALIFORNIA: The President can’t count to fifteen nor even spell it. Shut down your state.
NEW JERSEY: Us too?
CALIFORNIA: Yes, you guys too. Just like when Christie shut down the bridge, but it’s your whole state.
FLORIDA: But what about all these kids here on spring break?? They spend a lot of money here!
CALIFORNIA: Those kids invented the Tide pod challenge. Shut down your state.
LOUISIANA: But wait let’s have Mardi Gras first. It entertains people.
CALIFORNIA: It also kills them. Shut it down.
GEORGIA: Ok well how about we keep the state open for all of our mega churches? Maybe we can all pray really hard until the coronavirus just goes away!
CALIFORNIA: Which is working like a charm for mass shootings. Jesus told us to tell you to shut down your state.
OKLAHOMA: What about the tigers?
CALIFORNIA: What about a dentist. Shut it down.
WYOMING: Hold up, maybe we should go county by county like the president said.
CALIFORNIA: Stop acting like there are counties in Wyoming. There are no counties in Wyoming. Wyoming is a county. Shut it down.
PENNSYLVANIA: But big coal.
CALIFORNIA: But big death. Shut it.
WEST VIRGINIA: But we were the last state to get coronavirus!
CALIFORNIA: And don’t make us explain to you why that was. Shut it down.
NORTH CAROLINA: But the Republican National Convention is coming here!
CALIFORNIA: SHUT... OK, fine, do what you want.
Quote Reply
Re: California numbers [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty that was good.. but note Michigan not there. We have That women running the state. We have had stay at home orders for 3 weeks. No Oakland county were it started is one of the wealthiest counties in America so... then it rolled into Detroit.. It will be interesting to read the after as to why Michigan seems to be getting hit so bad..

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: California numbers [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

Dr. Birx on today's press conference praised California and Washington, saying their efforts may have successfully flattened the curve and she was hopeful that as other areas have cranked down, they might not follow NY's numbers.

Anyone hear what she said about Colorado today? I missed the call but just saw a quote in an article that we were named with Michigan and Chicago as an area of worry. I thought we were doing pretty well- but it’s been getting into senior care centers pretty quick. I just didn’t expect to be called out as an area of worry. Curious if there was any context around it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our testing is lagging way behind. Can’t crow yet
Quote Reply
Re: California numbers [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our testing is lagging way behind. Can’t crow yet//

Of course, it has been horrible, and nation wide too. But not sure the states could do much about that, especially early on, so all pretty much in the same catch up boat. And no crowing here, just some old fashioned hope. Hope that we at least did the best we could without proper testing, which of course will end up being the difference between us and the Asian countries that implemented it from the gun. We can at least try and be the best of the worst outcomes here in the states, at least those bigger ones that got the full brunt of this early on..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I certainly am happier I live in CA than many other states which have failed to take any action. I don’t always agree with the policy but I sure won’t forget Newsom’s quick and decisive action.

I think it puts us in a much better position than TX or LA or GA

I just don’t think we are able to judge the efficacy of that action until we get data
Quote Reply
Re: California numbers [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I certainly am happier I live in CA than many other states which have failed to take any action. I don’t always agree with the policy but I sure won’t forget Newsom’s quick and decisive action.

I think it puts us in a much better position than TX or LA or GA

I just don’t think we are able to judge the efficacy of that action until we get data

Not to interrupt the back patting.

https://www.latimes.com/...ospitals-ventilators
Quote Reply
Re: California numbers [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Jerry Brown fucked us

I’m still happy that CA did what it did early. And still happier I am here that in that dipshit De Santis’ state.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 4, 20 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: California numbers [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
H- wrote:

Anyone hear what she said about Colorado today? I missed the call but just saw a quote in an article that we were named with Michigan and Chicago as an area of worry. I thought we were doing pretty well- but it’s been getting into senior care centers pretty quick. I just didn’t expect to be called out as an area of worry. Curious if there was any context around it.

I don't recall Colorado being mentioned. Colorado's numbers are about 2/3 of Florida (where I am now). But at 1/4 population Colorado is worse. My son mentioned that two of four of his college classmates who went skiing a few weeks ago in Colorado got covid19.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Something I saw today, must have originated somewhere in the sunshine state;

California leads the way again...
*A RECAP OF THE LAST THREE WEEKS*
AMERICA: Oh my god! Coronavirus! What should we do?
CALIFORNIA: Shut down your state.
AMERICA: Wait... what? Why?
CALIFORNIA: Because 40 million people live here and we did it early, and it’s working.
NEBRASKA: Whoa... whoa... let’s not be hasty now. The President said that this whole coronavirus thing is a Democratic hoax.
CALIFORNIA: He also said that windmills cause cancer. Shut down your state.
TEXAS: But the President said that we only have 15 cases and soon it'll be zero.
CALIFORNIA: The President can’t count to fifteen nor even spell it. Shut down your state.
NEW JERSEY: Us too?
CALIFORNIA: Yes, you guys too. Just like when Christie shut down the bridge, but it’s your whole state.
FLORIDA: But what about all these kids here on spring break?? They spend a lot of money here!
CALIFORNIA: Those kids invented the Tide pod challenge. Shut down your state.
LOUISIANA: But wait let’s have Mardi Gras first. It entertains people.
CALIFORNIA: It also kills them. Shut it down.
GEORGIA: Ok well how about we keep the state open for all of our mega churches? Maybe we can all pray really hard until the coronavirus just goes away!
CALIFORNIA: Which is working like a charm for mass shootings. Jesus told us to tell you to shut down your state.
OKLAHOMA: What about the tigers?
CALIFORNIA: What about a dentist. Shut it down.
WYOMING: Hold up, maybe we should go county by county like the president said.
CALIFORNIA: Stop acting like there are counties in Wyoming. There are no counties in Wyoming. Wyoming is a county. Shut it down.
PENNSYLVANIA: But big coal.
CALIFORNIA: But big death. Shut it.
WEST VIRGINIA: But we were the last state to get coronavirus!
CALIFORNIA: And don’t make us explain to you why that was. Shut it down.
NORTH CAROLINA: But the Republican National Convention is coming here!
CALIFORNIA: SHUT... OK, fine, do what you want.

Truly excellent. And spot on.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply