Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Virtual School
Quote | Reply
So my daughter's school district has decided to go virtual for the rest of the school year. Sounds like a trend. This is in Denver Metro area. Sounds like many of the districts got together to day and decided this.
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual School [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
So my daughter's school district has decided to go virtual for the rest of the school year. Sounds like a trend. This is in Denver Metro area. Sounds like many of the districts got together to day and decided this.

My wife is a grade 2 teacher. She's been spending all this week learning the online system they'll be using. School starts online Monday for the kids and parents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our school is going to start 'distance learning' on an app called Classroom Dojo.

Not sure how this is going to workout. At this point I see my non-work hours working on schooling with my 1st grader. Older kids I can see it working out but will be hard with younger kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:

Same here. We're in Littleton, but JeffCo School District. We've been doing distance learning since the week of March 16, though. We figured this order was coming. So far, it's been working out fairly well.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual School [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Our school is going to start 'distance learning' on an app called Classroom Dojo.

Not sure how this is going to workout. At this point I see my non-work hours working on schooling with my 1st grader. Older kids I can see it working out but will be hard with younger kids.

A couple of my wife's kids don't even have computers at home. Not sure how that's gonna work out.
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual School [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:

A couple of my wife's kids don't even have computers at home. Not sure how that's gonna work out.

We just finished week 3 of online school. IF the school has the resources, they will (should) send emails or texts or phone calls to parents asking about access to tech and internet then will check out appropriate tech and possible hot spots to those in need. We had kindles, but after a week realized they weren’t working well, so we got 2 Chromebooks for the older kids and an iPad for the kindergartener from the school. They made a world of difference. If the schools or districts don’t have those resources, I have no idea how online school would work. My sister works for Clark County School District (Las Vegas), and apparently the district just bought 45,000 Chromebooks to get up and running for those who need the tech.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:

My wife is a 2nd grade teacher and they have been doing this for a week. She still has 4 parents who have not even looked at the portal yet regardless of phone calls and e-mails. She does read aloud videos and gives lessons on video and then has her e-mail and phone number as contact if they have questions. It's quite a bit of work.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Virtual School [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:

Classroom Dojo is what my wife uses during the school year. She says it's pretty easy to work with. With the younger kids its going to be how much hands on time the parents have. It will be tough.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:

Same, cherry Creek School Disctrict here.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:

We're on week 4 of online learning. Its working pretty well. They had to have a parents only session to teach the parents how to use MS Teams but other than that its been pretty easy. My 8 year old is pretty fluent in Teams now. They are also doing fun things for the kids like 'boys' lunch, birthday meetings for someone's birthday, etc.

I'm not postive but I believe some school districts aren't doing anything because not everyone has a computer and/or Internet so if everyone can't do it, then nobody can do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:

At my wife's school, each grade level got together and created packets for the kids and they are being distributed similar to the lunch programs. That way, even those without computers can work on them and then call if there are questions. The big thing is, they are only reviewing previous work, there is no new instruction going on.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have been remote learning for 3 weeks now. The governor decided over a week ago that we would stay virtual for the rest of the year statewide. A few day ago, they decided that they can waive mandatory instruction days and end classes two weeks early. They are going to have two sets of grades, a letter grade based on work up to March 13th and Pass/Fail for everything after.

So far remote learning is a bit of a joke. They had a quick few days to setup the first three weeks with the possibility that we would return after Easter. The goal was to just maintain skills. My 4th grader had to complete some work assignments using Google Docs and she was graded on those. She also had a daily lesson plan consisting of things like watch this Khan Academy video today and this other video tomorrow. They have two hours of "office hours" which are optional if they want to talk to their teachers. My second grader got sent home with a packet of 100 or so math and writing worksheets and we were told to try to get her to do a few each day and read for 30 minutes.

Now that we are set on distance learning for the rest of the year, they plan on more actual instruction time with video conferencing. Might be an improvement, but I suspect we will go from ~1 hour of effective work a day to 2. The rest of the day we fill in with additional stuff. Really trying to get them to learn typing skills.

They had a survey before he last day of actual school to see who needed computer resources and we picked up a laptop that weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our school district just handed out 6,000 chrome books to kids across the whole district. We start distance learning Monday. My older 2 kids will be fine, and I’m comfortable with a “sink or swim” attitude with them. Different story with my youngest.

Bitch session: My youngest’s teacher sent an email yesterday afternoon labeled “Thur/Fri work.” So, my son did some of it yesterday evening and the rest today. No mention of a zoom class session today.

I received an e-mail moments ago that we missed a zoom session today. She says next Monday’s session will be at the same time. She doesn’t give the actual scheduled start time of it. WTF? Can I get all important information at the same time and from the same source?

I’m sure I’m a bitch for bitching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
School gave out tablets to kids who didn't have any devices.

My concern is overall, your going to have parents who don't value education, don't speak English, or are just not there. The education gap is going to be huge come next school year. I'm hoping my daughter doesn't plateau.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We’re in St. Vrain just north of Boulder. They have not called it for the year yet. My daughter is really hoping they don’t miss field day.

They do 30 min video call at 9 then have about 2 hours of required work and a bunch of optional work. The first two days we had some technology related melt downs but now it’s pretty smooth. I usually let my 4th grader FaceTime with a friend to do some of the optional work. Her GT teacher is putting out riddles for them to solve and it’s fun listening to the giggle trying to solve them. As an only child I try to make sure she gets at least one FaceTime visit with a friend if not two.

It seems like they are doing a good job given what was thrown at them. But it’s a charter school so parent involvement is more uniform than other places. They made sure everyone had a device and connectivity. They are blasting WiFi in a lot of school parking lots - so you am sit in your car and do work if you have connectivity issues.

All work is supposed to be posted by 4pm the day before it is due at 6 pm.
Quote Reply