Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Walmart > Amazon
Quote | Reply
Let me be upfront I do not generally shop at Walmart in person as there isn't one close and when I have gone I've felt out of place. But their website/online ordering and availability so far has impressed me. I mean really impressed me. If they get the two day free shipping thing done they will become my go to first site and Amazon will move to the entertainment column on the ledger in my head. I find this to be an interesting development.
Quote Reply
Re: Walmart > Amazon [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Let me be upfront I do not generally shop at Walmart in person as there isn't one close and when I have gone I've felt out of place. But their website/online ordering and availability so far has impressed me. I mean really impressed me. If they get the two day free shipping thing done they will become my go to first site and Amazon will move to the entertainment column on the ledger in my head. I find this to be an interesting development.

I have a Publix and Wal-Mart in my general are. Publix would cost me an additional $47-62 per week based on exact purchases. Wal-Mart, which feels like I’m back in the Basin and makes me use hand sanitizer 3x as much, does a great job with my online ordering and keeps me happy on my bi-monthly trip. If I was still on the rig I may not pay attention to the extra costs but now that I’m a teacher, I definitely try to limit my costs.
Quote Reply
Re: Walmart > Amazon [Dadbod123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dadbod123 wrote:
windywave wrote:

I have a Publix and Wal-Mart in my general are. Publix would cost me an additional $47-62 per week based on exact purchases. Wal-Mart, which feels like I’m back in the Basin and makes me use hand sanitizer 3x as much, does a great job with my online ordering and keeps me happy on my bi-monthly trip. If I was still on the rig I may not pay attention to the extra costs but now that I’m a teacher, I definitely try to limit my costs.

But publix sandwiches......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Dadbod123 wrote:
windywave wrote:

But publix sandwiches......

That Wal-Mart “almost expired” meat hits different. Publix is definitely a nicer option outside of the wallet consideration
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a chain of grocery stores called HEB. Their supply chain has been way more efficient than anyone else.

While Whole Amazon Foods employees are striking, HEB employees seem to be taken care of.
HEB has implemented sanitizing systems to enter their stores.
I've been impressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Walmart has what Amazon doesn't: choice.

Want to shop at a store? Come to a Walmart.

Want to order online, and pick it up in 2 hrs? Hello, handsome.

Want it delivered? We can do that, yup...

Nothing is all or nothing, not everyone will always want delivery, no matter the speed... Walmart seems to get that...
Quote Reply
Re: Walmart > Amazon [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
We have a chain of grocery stores called HEB. Their supply chain has been way more efficient than anyone else.

While Whole Amazon Foods employees are striking, HEB employees seem to be taken care of.
HEB has implemented sanitizing systems to enter their stores.
I've been impressed.

Central Market keeping stock as well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know. I don't have one nearby. They don't find their way out to the 'burbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
I don't know. I don't have one nearby. They don't find their way out to the 'burbs.

They're in the burbs of Dallas. Just assumed they were all over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:

They're in the burbs of Dallas. Just assumed they were all over.

Austin and surrounding areas have only one single Central Market (that I'm aware of).

On HEB, I've been impressed with them also.

Quote Reply
Re: Walmart > Amazon [Dadbod123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dadbod123 wrote:

That Wal-Mart “almost expired” meat hits different. Publix is definitely a nicer option outside of the wallet consideration

How cruel! You are stealing from the mouths of innocent lions and tigers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree re Walmart’s variety. Variety of products, variety of shipping/pickup options.... I tried the order online, parking lot delivery for the first time last week for groceries. It was pretty great if I’m being honest.
Quote Reply
Re: Walmart > Amazon [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering HEB owns Central Market I would assume they are keeping up. Central Market was one of the few redeeming qualities of Texas...

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
A while back there was talk of the "Amazon takeover" how they had branched out. Someone smarter than me (not a high bar to meet) said that Walmart was the true power in this move, and IS Amazon's main competition, AND Amazon would lose out. Walmart branched out their companies they were buying for product, AND with all of their stores in place, their hard infrastructure is set. All of those stores are "fulfillment centers" and can get and ship most anything form the closest store and get it to you quicker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's amazing how the tables have turned. It wasn't that long ago Amazon was losing money year after year and nobody thought there was any way they could compete with the likes of retail giants like Walmart who would crush them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HEB for the win! Went to the store today for the first time in about 10 days and loaded up a full cart for the family. There was only one thing on my list that wasn’t in stock - pull and peel licorice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Let me be upfront I do not generally shop at Walmart in person as there isn't one close and when I have gone I've felt out of place

How so?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Walmart > Amazon [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
Let me be upfront I do not generally shop at Walmart in person as there isn't one close and when I have gone I've felt out of place

How so?

Have you ever gone shopping in the clothes dept? Literally 90% of it is XL or larger. I'm not sure if they even carry small size. You're lucky to find a stack of medium. Stacks and stacks of XXXL though.
Quote Reply