Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How bad is this for the kids? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My kids are okay-ish. 8 & 3. The three year old asks me every day if it's a "daycare/school/work day". I know he misses the interaction with other kids.

My 8 year old loves school. He misses his friends/teachers/extracurriculars.

The weather here sucks right now, we are in middle of winter temps with more snow on the way. That doesn't help either.
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is this for the kids? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
One of my colleagues has a son who is a senior and an exceptional rugby player on a team that is nationally ranked. He is quite good, but, going to a college next year without a program. So, this was he final shot at playing a sport he really loves at this level. Things like that are a bummer and I certainly can sympathize.

I loved playing football. Knew I wasn't good enough to play in college, but, did well at my high school level. That's the only thing that would have hurt losing. Prom, graduation, all that stuff - meh. But, missing my final year of sports would have sucked.

I was fortunate I got to do a state final last year in basketball. My friend was set up to go this year. He's pretty bummed but they'll just put it off until next year. However, there are several small schools in the state who have had seasons of a lifetime and will never be able to realize their dreams. I would have been crushed if it had happened to me.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is this for the kids? [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
My daughter is graduating from college this Spring. Three weeks ago it was announced that convocation has been moved to August. At least for now.

But (stand-by for back door brag), she did get into a fully funded PhD program at one of our fine state institutions about two days later, so graduation being moved is almost a non issue for her, as she was immediately vaulted to cloud nine.

My daughter finishes grad school in May and graduation is supposed to be in July. No word yet on if it gets pushed out more. She's aced grad school and will graduate with honors, much different than undergrad, so she's pretty bummed.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is this for the kids? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
I have a high school and college kid.

High School - taking it in stride, but his team won the state fencing tournament the Saturday before schools closed, so that was great. Other sports ended later and didn't have the Championships.

College - Not happy, doing his work, but misses dorm life.

Labs for both - the teachers are doing them and they kids have to watch the labs.

Jobs - (not applicable for my kids) - that's the scary question in my mind for all the kids graduating.

Fencing? In High School??? What kind of upper crust private school are you sending him to??

Nope - just the public high school in our town. 1'st, 2'nd and 3'rd place in the team event were all public schools.

The top 3 kids (and 5 of the top 6) in the individual tournament were all from public schools as well.

At one time when he was younger, my son (now in college) was taking fencing classes at a local studio. He really liked it (but had to give it up when the studio moved to an adjacent town and we couldn't fit it into his schedule as easily).

Anyway, I recall while waiting one time glancing up at a bulletin board article they had posted which did the math on probabilities of gaining a college scholarship within a given sport based on number of high school participants and scholarships offered. Fencing was the leader...by a LOT.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Apr 2, 20 14:02
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is this for the kids? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Anyway, I recall while waiting one time glancing up at a bulletin board article they had posted which did the math on probabilities of gaining a college scholarship within a given sport based on number of high school participants and scholarships offered. Fencing the leader...by a LOT.

What about the "Probability of gettin' some" leaderboard?

(I respect fencing, just making a joke).
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is this for the kids? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Anyway, I recall while waiting one time glancing up at a bulletin board article they had posted which did the math on probabilities of gaining a college scholarship within a given sport based on number of high school participants and scholarships offered. Fencing was the leader...by a LOT.

Are you saying a swashbuckling pirate doesn't "get some"? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Are you saying a swashbuckling pirate doesn't "get some"? ;-)

Only during sabre. Foil and épée are for aristocratic dandies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Its very misleading. I've seen that as well. But not many schools offer fencing, lots of clubs do, so the denominator is understated.

Then the schools that offer fencing are Ivy League, similar priced schools (which almost all give scholarships) and a few others.

And even 1k on 50k is considered "scholorships", but........doesn't make it free or even affordable for a lot of people.
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is this for the kids? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Its very misleading. I've seen that as well. But not many schools offer fencing, lots of clubs do, so the denominator is understated.

Then the schools that offer fencing are Ivy League, similar priced schools (which almost all give scholarships) and a few others.

And even 1k on 50k is considered "scholorships", but........doesn't make it free or even affordable for a lot of people.

Aahh...I see. I remember being a bit disappointed when he stopped, mostly for that reason.

No matter though (and backdoor brag here), he ended up being a National Merit Scholarship Finalist anyway :-)

Quote Reply
Re: How bad is this for the kids? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Anyway, I recall while waiting one time glancing up at a bulletin board article they had posted which did the math on probabilities of gaining a college scholarship within a given sport based on number of high school participants and scholarships offered. Fencing the leader...by a LOT.

Probably as high as being a triathlete :)
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is this for the kids? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My little man (kindergarten) doesn't care. His mom can't seem to get him to wear clothes. I hear he runs around the house in his undies, playing with his [things that transform, whatever they are called] and Legos. He does do his counting (to 100 four times the other day) and practices his spelling and reading. His sister is in 2nd grade and has a genetic deficiency and is non-verbal but goes to regular school (with a couple of hours working with her paraprofessional). She asks every day if she can go to school because she loves it and her para.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is this for the kids? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
My little man (kindergarten) doesn't care. His mom can't seem to get him to wear clothes. I hear he runs around the house in his undies, playing with his [things that transform, whatever they are called] and Legos. He does do his counting (to 100 four times the other day) and practices his spelling and reading. His sister is in 2nd grade and has a genetic deficiency and is non-verbal but goes to regular school (with a couple of hours working with her paraprofessional). She asks every day if she can go to school because she loves it and her para.

That is why I love teaching 2nd grade.
My children are 12 (daughter) & 14(son). We are all getting along really well. I think the social isolation has actually mellowed my daughter (the 12 year old). She frets and fusses over junior high social issues and typical school pressure. Now there is nothing to fret over. No one has a social life so she is not missing anything and she is practically drama free. It's actually been pretty interesting. She misses her friends a lot but she is treating the rest of us with a much better attitude. My son enjoys time to himself so he doesn't really care too much about the social isolation. My kids are sharing the xbox and building worlds on Minecraft together. My son is teaching my daughter how to shoot a bow and bb gun. We've been fishing and gone for hikes in the woods. Besides the fear of a pandemic hurting my friends and family, this has been a peaceful time for us as a family.

My 2nd grade class is breaking my heart though. I get messages daily from students about how they miss school, miss me, miss their friends. I was choking back tears all afternoon today over notes from students while my own children are laughing at how ridiculous I am lol.
Quote Reply
Re: How bad is this for the kids? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
My sister has three little ones (5-6 years) and for them this isn't that big a deal as they were only going to school part time anyway. They are also lucky because there are three of them and they can at least play (fight) with each other. But I can't help but think of how tough this must be on the high school and college seniors and missing out on once in a lifetime things.

Prom?

HS Graduation?

HW senior year sports (since so many HS kids play sports as compared to college)

Jobs for graduating seniors?

Anyone in lab sciences (Chemistry, Biology, Physics) unable to graduate now because you can't do labs on-line.

I haven't really heard anything in the media yet about how these kids are dealing with it, but maybe that was because it is only now evident that this likely goes through May and probably June. How are your kids doing?

My neighbor has “parented” an exchange student the past two years. Last year was Pablo from Spain and this year was Quirin from Germany. My son became best friends with both of them. Pablo was able to stay the entire school year last year and my son still Snapchats with him daily. Quirin is flying home tomorrow because of COVID19 and my son is losing another best friend. My son is 15 and has basically lost two beat friends in consecutive years. I’ve noticed my son has responded different this year to Quirin’s situation and is more upset/angry. Grades, classes, prom aside, there are definite relationships that are being cut short and whether we want to admit it or not, the reality is that COVID 19 has an impact on all of us
Quote Reply

Prev Next