Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I know what to do...Cut ER doctor's pay
Quote | Reply
https://www.bostonglobe.com/...h-cuts-compensation/

Idiots. (Sorry I couldn't find something more palatable, suggestions welcome)

This is happening multiple places around the country. ER visits are down because who the hell is going to the ER unless they really need to (although the argument to reduce ER access presents itself but I digress) meaning billing is down. Although pay didn't go up when ER visits go up (RVU aside).

At what point do ER docs just say fuck it? I'm done. I'm stressed and endangering myself every shift with suboptimal conditions and protection and now not even get paid what I was supposed to be.

(Anothet aside this business model annoys me. The whole surprise ER bills is a result of this model).
Quote Reply
Re: I know what to do...Cut ER doctor's pay [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hospital administrators are very good at their jobs

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that it is right, but you could see how this would happen as revenues are way down when elective surgeries are down and people are avoiding hospitals. My son mentioned it was very quiet in the ED 2 weeks ago (northern NJ near NYC). the people who normally show up at 3am for a sore shoulder who could have seen a regular doctor during office hours, just stopped coming in. Originally, his ED did not see the Covid-19 patients, but now they are handling a lot of these patients before they get a bed in ICU or other floors. So the place is very busy now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The article did mention withholding bonuses which I presume occur when billings are higher than normal. A lot of it I suppose depends on the economic model of the group. If it is purely a doctor group which pools billings and then pays out at an hourly rate there would not be as much money to pay out. Or if it was a not for profit hospital they might be stuck too. If you read the article less in demand doctors in the groups are being given unpaid furloughs so they are getting a big nothing sandwich. The solution might be some form of socialized medicine (gasp). Just don't copy the Canadian model.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Apr 1, 20 14:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/27/metro/coronavirus-rages-doctors-hit-with-cuts-compensation/

This is happening multiple places around the country. ER visits are down because who the hell is going to the ER unless they really need to (although the argument to reduce ER access presents itself but I digress) meaning billing is down. Although pay didn't go up when ER visits go up (RVU aside).

At what point do ER docs just say fuck it? I'm done. I'm stressed and endangering myself every shift with suboptimal conditions and protection and now not even get paid what I was supposed to be.

(Anothet aside this business model annoys me. The whole surprise ER bills is a result of this model).

I also heard that many other health workers where getting laid off because elective surgeries are way down. Thousands of health workers are sitting around with nothing to do because we canceled all the procedures they were supposed to be doing...now they're getting fired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you fucking stoned?

Yeah, people across the board are being asked to take pay cuts to make sure as many people as possible get through this shit.

My company has a plan in place to go 75%n than 50% of salaries if need-be (we are a salaried company, all of us) rather than lay-offs.

I spent close to 6 hours this weekend working on a spreadsheet with Honey to try to figure out how to adequately and fairly reduce hours for her and her techs (she runs CT in the local hospital here in the sticks of NH).

Man, it sucks, it really does, for any and all of us - especially those like Sphere who are smack in the thick of this shit. But that's the reality - paycuts for all, or layoffs for a lot.

New reality... wake me when it's over, please...
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: I know what to do...Cut ER doctor's pay [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
Are you fucking stoned?

Yeah, people across the board are being asked to take pay cuts to make sure as many people as possible get through this shit.

My company has a plan in place to go 75%n than 50% of salaries if need-be (we are a salaried company, all of us) rather than lay-offs.

I spent close to 6 hours this weekend working on a spreadsheet with Honey to try to figure out how to adequately and fairly reduce hours for her and her techs (she runs CT in the local hospital here in the sticks of NH).

Man, it sucks, it really does, for any and all of us - especially those like Sphere who are smack in the thick of this shit. But that's the reality - paycuts for all, or layoffs for a lot.

New reality... wake me when it's over, please...
- Jeff

No I'm not stoned but pretty sure your "company" is different than oh I don't know being a fucking ER doctor in a pandemic. Hey you think it's a great idea to fuck over ER docs and staff while I don't. Let's agree to disagree.
Quote Reply
Re: I know what to do...Cut ER doctor's pay [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
windywave wrote:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/27/metro/coronavirus-rages-doctors-hit-with-cuts-compensation/

I also heard that many other health workers where getting laid off because elective surgeries are way down. Thousands of health workers are sitting around with nothing to do because we canceled all the procedures they were supposed to be doing...now they're getting fired.

Apparently the administrators of my wife's hospital's health system announced to the employees today that they (admin) would be taking a 15% or 20% salary reduction because of the drop in electives impacting revenue. No word of anything similar in relation to docs/nurses. Yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you suggest they do?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: I know what to do...Cut ER doctor's pay [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Whom?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Whom?

Hospitals.

As others said with no elective surgeries there is no revenue. After a few months the hospitals will struggle to make payroll. So best thing to do is reduce payroll of higher income employees to keep the lights on and pay the lower level employees who have less disposable income.

The stimulus package has relief to help hospitals but it may take a while to get that money.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Apr 2, 20 0:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your reading comprehension implies you're stoned.

Gave an example as to what we are doing, then an example as to what honey's hospital is doing.

No one should be fucked over. But if there isn't money coming in, makes it difficult to pay it back out. Hopefully if someone ends up light throughout this bullshit, they get made whole once we're back out the other side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:

Gave an example as to what we are doing, then an example as to what honey's hospital is doing.

No one should be fucked over. But if there isn't money coming in, makes it difficult to pay it back out. Hopefully if someone ends up light throughout this bullshit, they get made whole once we're back out the other side.

After all this is said and done hopefully some smart people will sit down and figure out how to build capacity for when these things happen. Our town of 40000 is fairly well off because we have alot of generalists. We have family docs who do emerg and their offices are not busy so they can do more emerg. We have internists who do ICU offices are not busy so they can do more ICU. Family docs who do inpt care who can manage the non icu pts who are covid positive. Thirty years ago we were even better positioned in that regard. Some places have all their ICU work done by critical care so if half their workforce gets sick they are screwed.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: I know what to do...Cut ER doctor's pay [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
windywave wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Whom?

Hospitals.

As others said with no elective surgeries there is no revenue. After a few months the hospitals will struggle to make payroll. So best thing to do is reduce payroll of higher income employees to keep the lights on and pay the lower level employees who have less disposable income.

The stimulus package has relief to help hospitals but it may take a while to get that money.

This is not the hospitals but the staffing firms. Almost every ER is outsourced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:

All of my knowledge is not contained in that article. If you think the way to motivate the tip of the spear is to cut pay we shall have to disagree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to your American capitalist dream. Enjoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never once used the term "motivate" so not sure where you even pulled that from.

My point is that these are unknown and difficult times. There's a chance everyone across every board may be forced to take a reduction in pay, because without money coming in, it's really difficult to pay it back out.

Quite frankly, it'd be great if no one lost a dime, and I'd never advocate for anyone to loose money/hours. But that simply may end up being the reality for the short term.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
I never once used the term "motivate" so not sure where you even pulled that from.

My point is that these are unknown and difficult times. There's a chance everyone across every board may be forced to take a reduction in pay, because without money coming in, it's really difficult to pay it back out.

Quite frankly, it'd be great if no one lost a dime, and I'd never advocate for anyone to loose money/hours. But that simply may end up being the reality for the short term.

There are alternatives to cutting pay right now as the wave is about to crest. Especially since the impact probably hasn't filtered through yet because of a lag in billing and collecting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
jkstevens wrote:

All of my knowledge is not contained in that article. If you think the way to motivate the tip of the spear is to cut pay we shall have to disagree

Yeah, no matter what the situation, it does not seem smart to cut the pay of the people on the frontline of this disease. These docs, and nurses, are (in many places) dealing with a crush of patients potentially infected with this virus. Every patient encounter involves extra steps because of all the precautions involved, but many hospitals also have inadequate supplies. So, these same frontline personnel are fearing for their safety and also the possibility of taking it home to their families?!?! And then you go and cut their pay as well?!?!

I know a local ER doc who told me his hospital was asking him to come back in for extra shifts because 1-2 of the others are out in quarantine because of possible exposure. Even with them offering him extra hourly pay, he told them "no". He said "I'm mentally and physically exhausted from dealing with this. Every day I walk in to that ER, I don't know if I will leave exposed and then carry it to my family. If I'm going to keep my immune system decent, I cannot work myself to death while dealing with this potential virus risk".

So this is not your typical "every body else is taking a pay cut so they should as well". The hospital/community at large best find a way to keep these docs and nurses paid. These are the guys and gals who would save you or your kid's life. If they are not there, then we are all screwed.
Quote Reply
Re: I know what to do...Cut ER doctor's pay [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply