Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: T.P. Demand [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fear for our neighborhoods when the bored teenagers stuck at home gain their freedom and access to the TP stockpiles.
Quote Reply
Re: T.P. Demand [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

My wife said she is tarting to get worried about our TP supply. We have at least 24 rolls in the house and should be good for a month.
Quote Reply
Re: T.P. Demand [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
I went to Sams

the one area where i think our leaders and our corporations have really let us down is in not mandating safe conditions for both workers and customers in the places we are forced to go.

I think the same thing everytime I go to the market. Cashiers with no masks or gloves in close proximity to hundreds of customers each day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
Slowman wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
I went to Sams

can i hijack? i'm still pissed about my last trip to sam's club. you know how they check your receipt as you leave. 30 or 40 meters long line, and you were forced into a compressed space. i had mask and gloves, but nobody else did in my science-is-for-pussies community, and i was pretty enraged that a company that is clearly profiting mightily off this virus would place the health of their customers at peril for fear somebody would abscond with a pilfered bag of broccoli forets.

the one area where i think our leaders and our corporations have really let us down is in not mandating safe conditions for both workers and customers in the places we are forced to go.

What the heck do gloves do for you?? I need to find the article asking everyone to stop using gloves, and it went into details about why hospitals use gloves going from patient to patient but why it made NO sense to where gloves in public. With or without gloves don't touch your face, and wash your hands when you get home. The gloves "may" hold the virus longer and allow for better spread (this varies by virus and unknown for this one).

https://www.msn.com/...shopping/ar-BB11YPuZ

the shopping cart, mostly, but anything i touch. if gloves don't matter, then why is frequent hand washing the (supposed) single most useful thing you can do?

Really, Ok lets break this down.

Not going to go into the chem. can find an article or two of the mechanism, but the simple thing. Coronavirus breaks down very simply and easily in the presence of soap. simple soap and water will destroy the virus. THATS WHY YOU WASH YOUR HANDS, to kill any virus on your hand before you touch your face and breath it in, Which is why you are told STOP TOUCHING YOUR FACE.

So lets go shopping... I don't know when you put on your gloves, lets assume as you leave the house, and then take them off (properly unlikely) just before you walk in the door. All the rubber glove has done has put the germ on your glove instead of your hand, every time you touched your face that trip you risked infection. now you get home, improperly take the gloves off (I believe the article above said 80% of trained workers cross contaminate when removing there gloves). So you came in from shopping with out gloves, and of course washed your hands, but if you wore gloves you might think hey I can do these other things cause my hand is clean, but since you took them off wrong, probably not.

This virus does not absorb through the skin. Gloves do nothing, wash your hands and dont worry about it.

Oh and where did you put those contaminated gloves when you got home?

The article pretty well explains why wearing gloves is pointless.

The best one are the cashiers wearing them, yet they wear 1 pair all day. cross contaiminating everything, touching there faces thinking I am safe I have gloves on. The gloves do not repeal the virus and as mentioned some viruses attach better to the latex then they do to skin, so your running the risk of more germs on the glove then on your hand.

Wash your hands leave the gloves for the medical people who don't want to infect johnnies open wound.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use gloves like an airlock. Don't touch anything you normally touch with the gloves while you are wearing the gloves. Put them on when I get out of the car at the store. Wear in the store. Remover after I put the cart away and place in trash at store. Proper removal is essential. Wipe down anything the gloves touched. Wash hands when I get home.

I also find that wearing purple gloves also helps remind me not to touch my face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Slowman wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
Slowman wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
I went to Sams

can i hijack? i'm still pissed about my last trip to sam's club. you know how they check your receipt as you leave. 30 or 40 meters long line, and you were forced into a compressed space. i had mask and gloves, but nobody else did in my science-is-for-pussies community, and i was pretty enraged that a company that is clearly profiting mightily off this virus would place the health of their customers at peril for fear somebody would abscond with a pilfered bag of broccoli forets.

What the heck do gloves do for you?? I need to find the article asking everyone to stop using gloves, and it went into details about why hospitals use gloves going from patient to patient but why it made NO sense to where gloves in public. With or without gloves don't touch your face, and wash your hands when you get home. The gloves "may" hold the virus longer and allow for better spread (this varies by virus and unknown for this one).

the shopping cart, mostly, but anything i touch. if gloves don't matter, then why is frequent hand washing the (supposed) single most useful thing you can do?

Not going to go into the chem. can find an article or two of the mechanism, but the simple thing. Coronavirus breaks down very simply and easily in the presence of soap. simple soap and water will destroy the virus. THATS WHY YOU WASH YOUR HANDS, to kill any virus on your hand before you touch your face and breath it in, Which is why you are told STOP TOUCHING YOUR FACE.

So lets go shopping... I don't know when you put on your gloves, lets assume as you leave the house, and then take them off (properly unlikely) just before you walk in the door. All the rubber glove has done has put the germ on your glove instead of your hand, every time you touched your face that trip you risked infection. now you get home, improperly take the gloves off (I believe the article above said 80% of trained workers cross contaminate when removing there gloves). So you came in from shopping with out gloves, and of course washed your hands, but if you wore gloves you might think hey I can do these other things cause my hand is clean, but since you took them off wrong, probably not.

This virus does not absorb through the skin. Gloves do nothing, wash your hands and dont worry about it.

The best one are the cashiers wearing them, yet they wear 1 pair all day. cross contaiminating everything, touching there faces thinking I am safe I have gloves on. The gloves do not repeal the virus and as mentioned some viruses attach better to the latex then they do to skin, so your running the risk of more germs on the glove then on your hand.

Wash your hands leave the gloves for the medical people who don't want to infect johnnies open wound.

in that case, why is the medical community using protective gowns for covid care? they're not operating on folks. they're not infecting patients, they're hoping to not get infected. yes, they move from patient to patient, but the patients already have it.

we can go back and forth over this, but, is it okay if i wear the goddam gloves?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to derail the fascinating back and forth on gloves but just got back from a store in Seattle area and they had so much TP they used the endpoints of aisles to stock all of it. Costco has it in stock too. I think we are passed the TP peak, you guys will shortly follow, I'm sure. Every family, outside of DavHamm, should be ok soon, maybe within 2 rolls time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
Slowman wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
Slowman wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
I went to Sams

in that case, why is the medical community using protective gowns for covid care? they're not operating on folks. they're not infecting patients, they're hoping to not get infected. yes, they move from patient to patient, but the patients already have it.

we can go back and forth over this, but, is it okay if i wear the goddam gloves?

Did you read the article? It explains why a dr. or nurse or any medical person, going from room to room wears and changes that protective gear with each new patient and why that is different then you going to the store.

Wear what ever the hell you like, I really don't care. But some of the pics I see of people with rain ponchos on and plastic bags over their heads, is very funny and ridiculous. Its not a contact disease. I wonder how many of the people wipe down the boxes and container, and their mail. A much higher chance of getting it that when then whatever they think there rain poncho is protecting them from. And for the record, yes I have a sterilization procedure we go through for mail, packages and other stuff we buy. 1st rule if we don't need it for 3 days let it just sit in the garage till we do. But if it must come in we sterilize it. so its not like I think this thing is a joke its just wearing a glove provide no additional protection. (With the exception possibly of being a reminder not to touch your face)

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: T.P. Demand [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Not to derail the fascinating back and forth on gloves but just got back from a store in Seattle area and they had so much TP they used the endpoints of aisles to stock all of it. Costco has it in stock too. I think we are passed the TP peak, you guys will shortly follow, I'm sure. Every family, outside of DavHamm, should be ok soon, maybe within 2 rolls time?
Please send some to Eastern NM. Haven't seen TP (nor paper plates, paper napkins, paper towels, facial tissue) for the past 2-3 weeks.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: T.P. Demand [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Residential TP usage up about 40% do to everyone staying at home. Seems the issue may simply be due to that and supply chain.

https://marker.medium.com/...hortage-c812e1358fe0

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
I went to Sams

Home delivery and self checkout.

Also meters? Did you move to Canada or is that a Freudian commie slip? ;)

I have not been to Costco for three weeks. Had one instacart delivery. Honestly I'll pay a premium not be amongst the masses, I can self check out, and the store opens at 6AM.

I have seen asshats trying to make off with a case of booze and a big screen TV (independent incidents when I lived in the city)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

If I go shopping, before I exit my car I put on latex gloves and a mask. I don't touch my face while shopping. When I return from the store, before I get to the car I remove and dispose of the gloves and use sanitizer on my hands after loading the shopping in the car.

When I get home I wipe down the bag handles with disinfectant and same for the food packaging, washing my hands before and after.

I'm not sure why you think wearing gloves in this way would not have any effect.
Quote Reply
Re: T.P. Demand [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
mattr wrote:
Which bidet seat did you get. Was thinking about getting one. Did you get one that blows dry air on your bum after so you don't need to use any TP?

I installed this one at Christmas https://www.amazon.com/...tClose/dp/B00UCIOX2Q

It has been a pretty nice thing to have when there are no paper products to be had.

I was thinking of getting that one also. Need to get a plug near the toilet first. Can you really go wipeless with one of these?
The way my daughter keeps plugging up the toilet, I may end up getting two.
Quote Reply
Re: T.P. Demand [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
j p o wrote:
mattr wrote:
Which bidet seat did you get. Was thinking about getting one. Did you get one that blows dry air on your bum after so you don't need to use any TP?

I installed this one at Christmas https://www.amazon.com/...tClose/dp/B00UCIOX2Q

It has been a pretty nice thing to have when there are no paper products to be had.

I was thinking of getting that one also. Need to get a plug near the toilet first. Can you really go wipeless with one of these?

I don't go wipeless. Not to share too much but one quick wipe to start then before I use the dryer one quick wipe to dry off some. If you don't mind sitting there with warm air blowing up you butt you don't have to do that and can just let it blow for a couple minutes.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:

The Toto Washlet A-100

https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
j p o wrote:
mattr wrote:

I have the A-100 versus the C-200. The difference appears to be a butt dryer and a pre-mist. The price difference appears to be around $100.

I ran a test this morning. I did my business and then ran the sprayer immediately afterwards. I then took some TP to dry and look to see if it missed something. It was fairly clean, so I would say it is pretty effective.
Quote Reply
Re: T.P. Demand [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it normal to have a 120v outlet right behind your toilet?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: T.P. Demand [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Is it normal to have a 120v outlet right behind your toilet?

Probably not. When we built our house I directed where we wanted outlets for electrical, cable, and phone (OK< it was 2007, who knew I wouldn't have a landline any more). I made sure to have one in the closet thingy where the toilet was.

They made fun of me at the time but I have never regretted putting in extras at all.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: T.P. Demand [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just went this morning to do the weekly grocery run and was happy to see an almost full aisle of TP and paper towels.
They had some last week but not much and just some industrial looking store brand. We didn't need it then, but are getting close to the point now, so I decide to go ahead and get the 24 roll Angel soft.

just went out to the utility room and was floored by the smell of lavender. Dammit!!!!! Allergies are killing me with the pollen so high and no one in my family would be able to handle it.

Set it out by the curb and posted on the neighborhood google group and it was gone in under 5 minutes. Better luck next trip, we should be good until then. Can't believe their cranking out double packs of that crap in these times of TP Armageddon.
Quote Reply
Re: T.P. Demand [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uhmm.. my TP showed up today.. Im so ashamed. Worse I was "at work" so wife brought the damn box in the house.. so now its sitting in the family room, maybe in a week or so I will touch it and take it downstairs. LOL

Still can't believe you folks are going into stores... Yuck.. walmart curbside pickup tomorrow.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the caregivers at my mom’s assisted living has really gone above and beyond. I heard her talking about being almost out of TP- so I brought her a pack. I did not foresee the gifting ability of TP even a month ago.
Quote Reply

Prev Next