Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mirena IUD for dysmenorrhea/ iron deficiency?
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I started using an IUD about 5 weeks ago in the hopes that it would improve very heavy periods and the subsequent iron deficiency that I've been battling for the last 4 years. When I am not diligent about taking iron (100 mg /day of iron bisglycinate) my ferritin sinks to 8 or so. I have been taking it for 7 months and have only bumped it up to 25 (an improvement - but I'd love to see it higher). Anyhow, I am hoping the IUD will help but have been quite uncomfortable ever since it was placed and I'm wondering if anyone else has some helpful insight into whether these side effects are normal. I have been bleeding for the past five weeks, and I understand this is to be expected, but I have also been so bloated that my pants don't fit. My workouts have also been very, very, flat and I feel winded on the slightest hill. I'm also feeling slightly depressed. It's been a five week bout of Monster PMS. I would very much appreciate if anyone has experience to share. Does this pass? I'm training for a 50k in June and a little worried. Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena IUD for dysmenorrhea/ iron deficiency? [mercedesm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no experience with an IUD, but I do have experience having my hormones checked.

Are you getting a second and third opinion about this? Do you see an endocrinologist instead of an OB/GYN.

What you describe does not sound normal at all for your level of fitness. University hospitals can offer top-level care if you’re able to get to one if money is an issue.

Good luck and keep us posted.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything you describe about your workouts is how a friend (and elite athlete) felt after getting her Mirena - flat and winded. She eventually had it removed. All is fine now.

And while I never thought I had symptoms when I had my Mirena (i had 2 for a total of 8 years). I bet you can even find posts about me raving about it here in this forum. However, once I removed it this summer, I can only say I feel 150X better than I did with it. My bloating and GI issues are almost non-existent now. I had so many issues and went through loads of testing and medications to never find relief. It is like night and day now that the Mirena is removed. I am also seeing improvements in workouts but that could be because I am not in constant stomach pain. It also appears that the Mirena was also a trigger for cystic acne cause I have had no issues since it was removed. The only thing that has gotten worse is my menstrual migraines. The progestrone in the mirena did seem to help balance the progrestrone decrease at the start of mensuration. I still had them with the mirena but they are a dad bit worse now. I am working with my functional doctor and neurologist to find a solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena IUD for dysmenorrhea/ iron deficiency? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a helpful suggestion. Perhaps I should consult with an endocrinologist, as I have only been seeing my primary care provider about these issues. I'm going to look into that and see if I can have hormones checked. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Mirena IUD for dysmenorrhea/ iron deficiency? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing your experience. In my search through the forum, I have found almost exclusively rave reviews of the Mirena so I was really hoping it would be the key to alleviating heavy periods/ anemia. I'm glad to hear that you feel better after having it removed and that it made all of the other issues you were having go away. It's hard to decide how long to stick it out in the hopes that it gets better. I'm very tempted to simply get it removed so I can train properly (and at least not be bloated/bleeding constantly). I hope you find a solution for your migraines as soon as possible. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I would provide an update in case it could be helpful for someone else searching the forums for help re: mirena/ heavy periods. I checked in with my Dr. and she recommended taking the IUD out, as she felt that continuous moderate bleeding for 6 weeks indicated it wasn't working well for me. Thanks to everyone who provided helpful insight!
Quote Reply