Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: do you recline? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
sphere wrote:
”Ok using your argument....
I paid for a seat that should not have your seat bruising my knees. 6' 4" 38" inch inseam. “

That’s not a me problem. That’s a you, and the airline problem, just as it would be for me if I were inconvenienced by the passenger in front of me. There’s no reasonable expectation for me to not use my seat as intended and purchased.

There are (at least) 2 ways to look at it: one is the individual-centered view that “I bought a reclining seat, therefore it’s my right;” and the other is a more humanitarian view that “exercising my right causes someone discomfort, therefore I will chose not to exercise it.”

My beautiful long legs have opened my eyes to the reclining seat issue. If I wasn’t personally affected, I might think like you.

Or, an alternative might be to look at the scenario. if I notice that Andre the Giant is sitting behind me, I'll refrain. if someone asks politely, I'll refrain. Under normal circumstances, I'll recline if I feel like it. If someone starts pounding their fists into my seat, I'm definitely reclining, whether I really wanted to or not.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: do you recline? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
ike wrote:
I would like to see some airline experiment with a section that is no-recline or, alternatively, recline-friendly. Part of this problem arises when there is a mix of recliners and non-recliners in consecutive rows. My approach reduces that problem or, at least, creates clear expectations. Sort of like having a quiet car on the train. That seems better than asking strangers to work/fight for some resolution on each flight.

Or they could experiment with having different price structures for differing amounts of room. Have premiums for rows where you aren't as cramped down to the rows where you have to sit with your knees tucked under your chin.

Right now your choice is Roman slave galley or first class. And most flights I've been on don't have first class either.

It'll never happen. Empty seats are the kiss of death. It's why most domestic flights eliminated first class. People are cheap, even when it comes to personal comfort. Cross-country or international flights are about the only places you see ranges such as "coach comfort" or "coach plus" and even those are not offered on all airlines.

I'm not talking about comfort. Just rows that have an extra inch. Maybe premium rows with 2.

They could make the regular priced rows even worse. Put scratchy upholstery, lights that don't work etc. People have gotten used to paying for bags and now carry ons. This is the next frontier.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: do you recline? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
sphere wrote:
”Ok using your argument....
I paid for a seat that should not have your seat bruising my knees. 6' 4" 38" inch inseam. “

That’s not a me problem. That’s a you, and the airline problem, just as it would be for me if I were inconvenienced by the passenger in front of me. There’s no reasonable expectation for me to not use my seat as intended and purchased.

There are (at least) 2 ways to look at it: one is the individual-centered view that “I bought a reclining seat, therefore it’s my right;” and the other is a more humanitarian view that “exercising my right causes someone discomfort, therefore I will chose not to exercise it.”

My beautiful long legs have opened my eyes to the reclining seat issue. If I wasn’t personally affected, I might think like you.

Or, an alternative might be to look at the scenario. if I notice that Andre the Giant is sitting behind me, I'll refrain. if someone asks politely, I'll refrain. Under normal circumstances, I'll recline if I feel like it. If someone starts pounding their fists into my seat, I'm definitely reclining, whether I really wanted to or not.

If someone is in such a poor mental state that he pounds on the back of my seat, I would take pity on him and lift the seat. Most people would do that only in a fit of despair and unhappiness. It’s not my job to avoid rewarding uncivil behavior. I’m not his mom. It’s my goal to see the humanity in every person and have compassion. So, I would feel pretty good about lifting the seat and being kind to that bozo.

Traveling is oftentimes stressful. I don’t know all the circumstances for someone’s travel. Maybe someone is flying to a funeral. Maybe someone is acutely missing his babies. And you know, there is a lot of unspoken communication. I receive smiles and silent acknowledgment when I chose not to exercise my rights in favor of helping someone out. Traveling becomes really enjoyable when it is full of the give and take of considerate actions.
Quote Reply
Re: do you recline? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
ike wrote:
I would like to see some airline experiment with a section that is no-recline or, alternatively, recline-friendly. Part of this problem arises when there is a mix of recliners and non-recliners in consecutive rows. My approach reduces that problem or, at least, creates clear expectations. Sort of like having a quiet car on the train. That seems better than asking strangers to work/fight for some resolution on each flight.

Or they could experiment with having different price structures for differing amounts of room. Have premiums for rows where you aren't as cramped down to the rows where you have to sit with your knees tucked under your chin.

Right now your choice is Roman slave galley or first class. And most flights I've been on don't have first class either.

It'll never happen. Empty seats are the kiss of death. It's why most domestic flights eliminated first class. People are cheap, even when it comes to personal comfort. Cross-country or international flights are about the only places you see ranges such as "coach comfort" or "coach plus" and even those are not offered on all airlines.

I'm not talking about comfort. Just rows that have an extra inch. Maybe premium rows with 2.

They could make the regular priced rows even worse. Put scratchy upholstery, lights that don't work etc. People have gotten used to paying for bags and now carry ons. This is the next frontier.

I like the idea, I just do not think it would catch on. People have gotten used to paying for bags and carry ons because there is no choice. But, people are cheap. I am often stunned how few will pay for upgrades. What you are talking about is an upgrade.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: do you recline? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
ike wrote:

I’m confused. Many US airlines already do this (extra couple inches of room in some rows).
Quote Reply
Re: do you recline? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
ike wrote:

I’m confused. Many US airlines already do this (extra couple inches of room in some rows).

Was going to say the same thing. I'm sure I've paid an extra $100 for 2" before. And I will say. Worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: do you recline? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
I'm sure I've paid an extra $100 for 2" before. And I will say. Worth it.

Your wife told me she'd pay this too! :D
Quote Reply
Re: do you recline? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
knewbike wrote:
I'm sure I've paid an extra $100 for 2" before. And I will say. Worth it.

Your wife told me she'd pay this too! :D

It was her idea. I'm the cheap one. :0
Quote Reply
Re: do you recline? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
j p o wrote:
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:
ike wrote:

Was going to say the same thing. I'm sure I've paid an extra $100 for 2" before. And I will say. Worth it.

I must not fly enough. Or else book my tickets too late to be able to get the better rows.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next