Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mormon prepper insanity
Quote | Reply
Has anyone been following the Mormon doomsday fanatics, who’s spouses died under strange circumstances just before they married, who’s kids haven’t been seen since September.

https://www.google.com/...and-tylee-ryan%3famp

My mother-in-lawlgot caught up in this prepper bullshit a few years back and as part of that, knew the husband who’s now involved here. Fortunately, she came to her senses and realized how batshit crazy it was, but it did make for some interesting times in our family, seeing her kids take sides, etc.

#religion
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Feb 7, 20 10:16
Quote Reply
Re: Mormon prepper insanity [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im not seeing the connection to religion in the story.. what am I missing here?
Quote Reply
Re: Mormon prepper insanity [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.google.com/...tml%3foutputType=amp

Here’s another article that explains it more. They’re both Mormons or former Mormons who still believe in many of the Mormon truth claims, one of which teaches that we are in the last days before Jesus’ second coming. They’ve taken those teaching to an extreme, or as some might say, to their logical conclusion, that if we’re in the last days, then we need to prepare for Armageddon by hoarding guns and supplies, moving off the grid, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it.. thanks..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've read the reports. I suspect the children are dead. I also suspect they will learn the consequences of defying court orders. They appear to think they are in control. When it comes to the issue of the minor children and their whereabouts and safety, they aren't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they think we are days away from the second coming... What will hiding out in a cave with a few guns and cans of spam do? Do they think Jesus won't find them or something?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both of the new couples ex's die and they're married weeks later? This story has all the makings of a Dateline special. Does anyone think the woman really died of "natural causes?"
Quote Reply
Re: Mormon prepper insanity [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. It’s fascinating. There will be some tv true crime show or movie. And it’s slowly playing out in real time.

Not only did both spouses die, but the woman’s spouse was killed by her brother presumably in self-defense (the self-defense argument was accepted by law enforcement at the time, but is being now reevaluated in light of what has since happened) who then mysteriously died.

The husband claimed to have had a vision that his wife was going to die. And he apparently had told others of this vision at the time. She then dies, and he married Vallow a couple weeks later.

And then the kids disappear.

As much as all of this is fucked up, what may have happened to the kids is the most disturbing of all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ny-wife-mormon-doomsday-missin-kids-idaho-deadline-20200131-btaw77epjnfcjikabv66o6z3pq-story.html%3foutputType=amp

the world is ending in July, 2020? What day and time; I need to get my hair and nails done for the Rapture 😉🤪🤣

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Mormon prepper insanity [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ny-wife-mormon-doomsday-missin-kids-idaho-deadline-20200131-btaw77epjnfcjikabv66o6z3pq-story.html%3foutputType=amp

the world is ending in July, 2020? What day and time; I need to get my hair and nails done for the Rapture 😉🤪🤣

Don’t forget, clean underwear and shave your pubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the kids went missing from Idaho, so this is a regional story that has been covered heavily on local news. I can't recall seeing it in the national news, but I could have easily missed it. As others have said, I fear the worst for the children. If what I fear has happened, that they killed them, I really hope they don't get away with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Mormon prepper insanity [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
If they think we are days away from the second coming... What will hiding out in a cave with a few guns and cans of spam do? Do they think Jesus won't find them or something?

I think in Christian mythology there’s some extended period of time post apocalypse, 1000 years?, before Jesus comes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to high school with Lori. The family seemed normal at the time....

To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Reach high, think big, work hard, have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Mormon prepper insanity [Number2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Number2 wrote:
I went to high school with Lori. The family seemed normal at the time....

I wouldn’t doubt that they were normal. If fact, her family seems baffled and troubled by her turn. But I also think this is what a high demand, apocalyptic religion can do to some people, especially one with fundamentalist tendencies.
Quote Reply
Re: Mormon prepper insanity [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im not either... To me this is a sad story of people that clearly have some mental issues.

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

She was arrested in Hawaii -
https://www.foxnews.com/...i-on-several-charges

and this from yesterday.... random people tracking/stalking the couple
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBvGPhqm3b4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

My mother-in-lawlgot caught up in this prepper bullshit a few years back and as part of that, knew the husband who’s now involved here. Fortunately, she came to her senses and realized how batshit crazy it was, but it did make for some interesting times in our family, seeing her kids take sides, etc.

#religion

I'll admit I'm fascinated by the apocalyptic/prepper phenomenon.

Every once in a while I'll watch something on Youtube, which then kicks off its algorithm to show me more of the stuff. It usually only takes a few videos and reading the comments for me to get uneasy about the level of crazy involved. You have to sift through a whole lot of over the top nonsense to get what might be some useful information that would apply to the likely (but still absolutely unlikely) situation where it would come in handy. Most of these guys seem to be operating on the working theory that Armageddon is right around the corner (or at least are willing to exploit people working on that assumption).
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Feb 21, 20 5:55
Quote Reply
Re: Mormon prepper insanity [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She fall into the danger zone in the hot-crazy chart.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Mormon prepper insanity [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The prepping rabbit hole is quite interesting. I always find the mile high reasons for prepping to make sense. Here in Wyoming with I-80 closed for snow the grocery store starts looking bare after 3-4 days. Another example is up the hill from my house the water main broke leaving the far end of town without water for 2 days.

The Lake Erie bloom that contaminated water for a couple weeks in the last couple years is another example of a short term problem.

These things are not the end of the world but if you extend them out to 10-20 days things can get crazy fast. I would like to do a better job of keeping 1-2 weeks of food and supplies ready. Not because I believe Armageddon is coming but more because I do not want to be that person that buys 10 gallons of milk and 10 loves of bread.

Of course with any prepping video they talk about specifically why they are prepping.... something along the lines of a fly bites the last elephant and the power goes out so not everyone is cooking pancakes on their roofs and mad max style gangs are roaming the streets.
Quote Reply
Re: Mormon prepper insanity [Dougie2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dougie2008 wrote:
Of course with any prepping video they talk about specifically why they are prepping.... something along the lines of a fly bites the last elephant and the power goes out so not everyone is cooking pancakes on their roofs and mad max style gangs are roaming the streets.

I frequented a Homesteading forum, mainly for food growing info., and they had a prepper type forum.

It was fun to read the frequent posts about the signs of imminent "economic collapse" or social chaos (after all, Obama had been elected). The hard-on many of them had for the end of times that was just about to happen was something to see. Of course that was about a decade ago...
Quote Reply
Re: Mormon prepper insanity [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Dougie2008 wrote:

I frequented a Homesteading forum, mainly for food growing info., and they had a prepper type forum.

It was fun to read the frequent posts about the signs of imminent "economic collapse" or social chaos (after all, Obama had been elected). The hard-on many of them had for the end of times that was just about to happen was something to see. Of course that was about a decade ago...

I belonged to a survivalist thread for a while. It made for good clean fun. I frequently pointed out that during the 70's people claimed that Russian tanks were hiding in the Detroit salt mines... I found out that people don't like to have their reality questioned.....

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Mormon prepper insanity [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Dougie2008 wrote:

I belonged to a survivalist thread for a while. It made for good clean fun. I frequently pointed out that during the 70's people claimed that Russian tanks were hiding in the Detroit salt mines... I found out that people don't like to have their reality questioned.....

No, I found trying to rationalize with them was pretty pointless.
Quote Reply