Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calf cramps swimming
Quote | Reply
Recently I have had to cut some kick sets short due to calf cramps. Have been doing workouts that have me doing warm up, then some easy drills, then base intervals (like 200s on short rest) followed by a set of 8x50 all out on 20' rest. Then a kick set and finally cool down. The last two I have had to stop the kick set due to cramping. I assume it is because the 8x50 nearly kills me and then I cramp. I also have a weak kick, but it won't get any better if I have to cut the kick sets short. Any advice? Move the kick sets earlier in the workout? FWIW it is not uncommon for me to also get some cramping at the end of the swim during races (HIM and IM). I am MOP swimmer, swimming 2-3 times a week (5000-75000 m/week now) and in my base training.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Calf cramps swimming [vaughandvm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personal preference, I like having kick sets before the main set. I don't really see the point of doing it afterwards (unless it's easy warmdown). I really want to set things up to SWIM well in the main set, so for me, pulling and kicking gets done beforehand.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Calf cramps swimming [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take HotShot or yellow mustard before the swim and see. Taking a magnesium pill a day helps as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I started swimming, I frequently got cramps as well. I never found anything to cure it...except that as I swam (and kicked) more they just went away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How flexible are your ankles? In college, it seemed like the people who cramped more in their calves had flexibility issues. Think about how taxing it is on your feet and ankles to provide the flexion necessary to a proper kick with your toes pointed all the way down. Maybe it's not the reason since this is a recent development.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that you're tired and not in good 'kicking' shape, which lead to the cramps. Kicking should be treated in the same light as a drill and done earlier in the set. Then the work. Then the mini-work. Then the cool down.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this problem for many years so much so that I would never swim after running or biking due to massive calf and hamstring cramps. The solution for me was increasing my flexibility and the use of magnesium based topical solutions. Try the product called "Theraworx" foam, I originally bought it for my wife's foot cramps but tried it myself and the stuff worked miracles for me. I have been able to do more brick workouts and have experienced quicker recovery from hard efforts. Also no more waking in the middle of the night with leg cramps that ruin your training plans for the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vaughandvm wrote:
Recently I have had to cut some kick sets short due to calf cramps. Have been doing workouts that have me doing warm up, then some easy drills, then base intervals (like 200s on short rest) followed by a set of 8x50 all out on 20' rest. Then a kick set and finally cool down. The last two I have had to stop the kick set due to cramping. I assume it is because the 8x50 nearly kills me and then I cramp. I also have a weak kick, but it won't get any better if I have to cut the kick sets short. Any advice? Move the kick sets earlier in the workout? FWIW it is not uncommon for me to also get some cramping at the end of the swim during races (HIM and IM). I am MOP swimmer, swimming 2-3 times a week (5000-75000 m/week now) and in my base training.

Thanks

This might sound stupid, but try pushing off the wall a bit easier throughout your sessions. Apparently this is one of the reasons your feet/calves can cramp in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you cross train, I think increased jump rope and flutter kicks pointing your toes could help.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Calf cramps swimming [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
vaughandvm wrote:

Thanks

This might sound stupid, but try pushing off the wall a bit easier throughout your sessions. Apparently this is one of the reasons your feet/calves can cramp in the pool.

This.

In addition to magnesium and increased stretching, I found that pushing less aggressively helps. We race in open water and so pushing isn’t essential anyway. My swim times are slightly slower in training but I’d rather finish a workout than cramp up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I get calf cramps while swimming, I often KICK to get rid of them. I relax my feet and let my ankles flop a bit more while I’m kicking. The tension carried in my calf from pointing my toes needs to be relieved by relaxing. Additionally, I dorsiflex my foot when pushing off the wall, which can help, as well. I also agree with Jason about moving the kick sets earlier in the workout, before the main set. It helps to get the heart rate up, and gets me ready for the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vaughandvm wrote:

Thanks

Are you running before swimming. Running hard before swimming can do it. Biking beforehand can also do it. Also is the pool cool? You can almost guarantee, that if you take a group of campers and send them on a long bike with short brick that if you take them to the pool and make them swim hard a few people are going to cramp for sure.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Calf cramps swimming [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
vaughandvm wrote:

Thanks

This.

In addition to magnesium and increased stretching, I found that pushing less aggressively helps. We race in open water and so pushing isn’t essential anyway. My swim times are slightly slower in training but I’d rather finish a workout than cramp up.

Agree with this as well. I can tell when my legs want to cramp and then I stop pushing off the wall altogether sometimes. If you think about your push off the wall, we probably really tense our calves and point our toes. It's probably what causes it

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like you’re doing a TrainerRoad plan and likely swimming or biking a lot too. I don’t know any solutions other than to move the swim to before the other activities whenever possible and avoid pushing off the wall too hard. Also, I make sure to stay as hydrated as possible and keep a bottle of water poolside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you doing the kick set with fins?

I had a similar issue and consulted a PT. His opinion is that people are more likely to experience calf cramps while swimming when their toes are pointed. His technical explanation (in my own layman terms) is that your calf is at the extreme when your toes are pointed. I dorsiflex my feet to ward off an oncoming cramp. Pointing your toes is the opposite of dorsiflexing. Wearing fins intensifies the extreme position. My PT believe this so much that he advises triathletes not to wear fins.

I concur with others that I'm more likely to get calf cramps if I ran the same day. Especially if it was a hard run or longer than my current run endurance supports. My worst experience, one that left my calf sore AF for a couple days, was that I ran 7 miles in the morning then did a competitive hour swim in a 25 yard pool. It was a ton of turns.
Quote Reply