Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why do young people like Sanders? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Shit, for a second there I thought we were talking about how Trump got elected. The only difference between the age groups being the level of hypocrisy.
Not at all similar. And you're right, the younger groups are very hypocritical.
To borrow from Jim Morrison, I wish we could burn this shithouse down.
It seems like the 2 main parties are trying to out-stupid each other.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do young people like Sanders? [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
It's simple. He promises free stuff. That's his appeal to my voting age son.
When I ask how will it get paid for, he shrugs.

This says more about you than it does your son.
How exactly is that? My son went on about all the free stuff. I asked him how it will get funded.
I'm guessing you don't have children over the age of 11.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do young people like Sanders? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
It's simple. He promises free stuff. That's his appeal to my voting age son.
When I ask how will it get paid for, he shrugs.

This says more about you than it does your son.

How exactly is that? My son went on about all the free stuff. I asked him how it will get funded.
I'm guessing you don't have children over the age of 11.

I have a son 28 and a daughter 25. We talk about this stuff all the time and have since they were teenagers. If they like a specific politician or platform they tell me why. If they can't answer then I'll tell them to research more and get back to me. I want them to use their critical thinking skills to come to a conclusion. I have swayed them and they have swayed me on different issues.

When you ask who is going to pay for it, do you know what the proposals are or how they say it will be paid for? Do you discuss this further with him? Do you tell him your view or do you discuss your view? Maybe he's just trying to push your buttons.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do young people like Sanders? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
schroeder wrote:
Universities who are always pushing for 'diversity' seem to stop at diverse points of view especially when it means hiring more conservative professors.

I don't agree. In the university departments where it matters most (political science, history, economics) is where there is the most political diversity and the most push for political diversity. In the sciences, there are very few conservatives but political views in the sciences are not taken into consideration (or even known) when hiring. Yes, a potential candidate in biology who doesn't believe in evolution would likely not be hired if he had somehow published papers containing these views -- that person would never even make the first cut unless it was at a very conservative, religious school.

In the liberal art colleges the numbers are staggering...
Mitchell Langbert, an associate professor of business at Brooklyn College, published a study of the political affiliations of faculty members at 51 of the 66 liberal-arts colleges ranked highest by U.S. News in 2017. The findings are eye-popping (even if they do not come as a great surprise to many people in academia).
Democrats dominate most fields. In religion, Langbert’s survey found that the ratio of Democrats to Republicans is 70-to-1. In music, it is 33-to-1. In biology, it is 21-to-1. In philosophy, history and psychology, it is 17-to-1. In political science, it is 8-to-1.
The gap is narrower in science and engineering. In physics, economics and mathematics, the ratio is about 6-to-1. In chemistry, it is 5-to-1, and in engineering, it is just 1.6-to-1. Still, Lambert found no field in which Republicans are more numerous than Democrats.
True, these figures do not include the many professors who do not have a political affiliation, either because they are not registered at all or because they have not declared themselves as Democrats or Republicans. And, true, the ratios vary dramatically across colleges.
None of the 51 colleges had more Republicans than Democrats. According to the survey, more than a third of them had no Republicans at all.

Interesting. I wonder how this compares to universities. The ratios in the sciences are what I said - very few conservatives. I'm very familiar with university hiring in the sciences and hiring committees look at area of research, publications, and teaching, not politics so I'd guess it has to do with the ratio in the pool of applicants. You're right though, Political Science, history and economics should not be so lopsided. The funny one is religion - 70-1? What about all the catholic liberal arts schools? Georgetown, ND, BC, Gonzaga, Holy Cross, Villanova - all good schools and I assume have a lot of Jesuits in the religion depts. But I guess the Jesuits are the most liberal priests. Anyway, I wonder if anyone has looked at the same ratios for the pool of applicants.
Quote Reply
Re: Why do young people like Sanders? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
Their parents didn’t have cell phones. And a whole bunch of other costs. Give those things up and you’ll lower your cost of living.

Personally I think a LOT can be managed by picking more affordable schools and intelligent majors with actual marketability.

Having said that, its not cell phones that are making them poor. An Iphone X held on to for 5 years costs about $17/mo. Sure, you'll need a service, too, but they really aren't any more expensive that land line plans were back in the day, and much cheaper once you consider long distance charges.

There’s more than just that. Some people have cut cable but they have an internet bill to pay. On top of that they “need” Netflix and Prime and Disney+ and...

Optional expenses are much higher now than when we were young.

I have a 55” TV. Do I need a 55” Tv? Hells no. Did my Dad ever pay $1000 for a fucking TV? hells no. (Inflation yada yada, I get it). I have Two TVs that I once paid $1000 for.

Growing up we had a colour TV my Dad won in a contest and a black and white TV my great aunt gave us. It was fine.

We had a 3 bedroom house with one bath and 5 family members. It was fine.

There was no internet. We had a very very basic cable package. And a land line. It was fine.

When you went out you carried a quarter in case you needed to use a pay phone. It was fine.

My point is that we have so much stuff that we don’t need. We pay way more than our parents ever did. Why? Because we “need” it.

No we really don’t.

How many pay phones do you see? Of that handful, how many still work?

I just bought a 55” smart TV for under $400 in Canuck bucks. That stuff has never been cheaper in relative terms. Did I “need” a 55”? No, but it really didn’t cost that much more to get that compared to a 32”, and I expect to hang onto it for a minimum of 10 years. $35 a year for the TV isn’t really making a dent in anything.

On the other side, young people are less likely to own a car than our parents were. That’s actually a significant expense, unlike a $300 TV or a cellphone.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next