Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Captain Obvious Says Don't Wait to Get Help
Quote | Reply
I was sitting by my desk last night thinking about how the holidays might have been if my daughter had killed herself last February. Not a pleasant thought, but there it was. Some of you might be in or near her situation, or maybe you know someone that could be. My daughter fooled her therapist and us. She looked fine from the outside. Inside her mind was telling her to kill herself because she had so much mental anguish.The meds she was on were not working, but she never let on.

Long story short after a 10 days stay in a psychiatric hospital she came home. We were on pins and needles for months. Numerous people here sent messages of support which I am forever thankful for.

Fast forward 10+months later and my daughter is a healthier person. We got her on the right meds over time which was the most important thing for her well being. She sees a therapist weekly. She's running now, got into the National Honors Society, got accepted into ASU and was recently accepted to into their Nursing Program. I feel that I am the luckiest father on the planet.

Some of you may be in a similar situation to my daughter 10 months ago, or maybe you know someone who could be. You or they have to know you are not alone and there is hope. Plenty of people here, including myself, have been through all kinds of mental and physical health situations. We are here for you. Drop us a PM if you feel the urge. There are 800 numbers with caring people you can call. You can walk into just about any hospital if you feel like you are going to do harm to yourself or others. I want to tell you again you are not alone. It may feel like it, but please talk to someone and don't hold back on how you feel. If you know someone that could use some help reach out to them. You and they are worth the effort. Really.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Captain Obvious Says Don't Wait to Get Help [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I was sitting by my desk last night thinking about how the holidays might have been if my daughter had killed herself last February. Not a pleasant thought, but there it was. Some of you might be in or near her situation, or maybe you know someone that could be. My daughter fooled her therapist and us. She looked fine from the outside. Inside her mind was telling her to kill herself because she had so much mental anguish.The meds she was on were not working, but she never let on.

Long story short after a 10 days stay in a psychiatric hospital she came home. We were on pins and needles for months. Numerous people here sent messages of support which I am forever thankful for.

Fast forward 10+months later and my daughter is a healthier person. We got her on the right meds over time which was the most important thing for her well being. She sees a therapist weekly. She's running now, got into the National Honors Society, got accepted into ASU and was recently accepted to into their Nursing Program. I feel that I am the luckiest father on the planet.

Some of you may be in a similar situation to my daughter 10 months ago, or maybe you know someone who could be. You or they have to know you are not alone and there is hope. Plenty of people here, including myself, have been through all kinds of mental and physical health situations. We are here for you. Drop us a PM if you feel the urge. There are 800 numbers with caring people you can call. You can walk into just about any hospital if you feel like you are going to do harm to yourself or others. I want to tell you again you are not alone. It may feel like it, but please talk to someone and don't hold back on how you feel. If you know someone that could use some help reach out to them. You and they are worth the effort. Really.

Glad things are working out and I hope they continue the same way. Good luck to you and your family.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
//I was sitting by my desk last night thinking about how the holidays might have been if my daughter had killed herself last February. Not a pleasant thought, but there it was. Some of you might be in or near her situation, or maybe you know someone that could be. My daughter fooled her therapist and us. She looked fine from the outside. Inside her mind was telling her to kill herself because she had so much mental anguish.The meds she was on were not working, but she never let on.//

Your/your daughter's story really hit home with me. I have two daughters, one is a junior in college (UofA/Nursing) and my younger is a freshman, also at the UofA. (I think we can still remain LR friends? ; )

Because of what you were going through, I sat with each of my daughters and had a deep conversation about how they are feeling. My older daughter began talking about very high levels of anxiety, not sleeping, etc. I always knew she had anxiety issues but they weren't so severe that we took any action, in fact, we largely blew it off as normal teenage angst. She got frustrated trying to tell us that she just gave up and figured she'd deal with it. She hasn't been suicidal but probably right on that edge at times. After listening to her we did find help for her, specifically on how to best manage stress and anxiety. No meds, but she's improved so much just managing day to day stress.

So, just know that we are also here for your and family and that you and your daughter are also having a positive effect on others in ways you wouldn't know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! I want to say something but am at a loss for words. I am glad things are better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so happy to hear that your daughter got the help that she needed and needs. I have been down that road and it's an uphill battle everyday. It's really nice that you keep not only her, but others in your thoughts.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for posting this. The Christmas holidays can be tough for some people, this is a good reminder to be kind to ourselves and check in with our loved ones.

I've found a lot of support here this year. Thank you all for helping me stay sane!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is good news. Best wishes to you and your family for continued self value and care.
Quote Reply