Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I came ( ) this close to being part of a bumper.
Quote | Reply
I was walking out of a store and a car was moving from my left to right. As he passed I started to walk across the parking lot behind him. The guy hit the brakes, dropped it in reverse and started backing up. I dove out of the way. Yes, literally dove. I pulled the shit out of my right calf and all my groceries went flying. He stopped, pulled left into a row of spots and pulled into a spot. I got up and picked everything up and hobbled on to my car.

He got out of the car and started to blame me for not seeing his backup lights. Are you fucking kidding me? Who expects a maniac to throw it in reverse? He wasn't in the row of spots yet, he backed up because he saw an open spot in the row he was passing.

I should never have gotten up. Or I should have called the cops. My calf is black and blue along with my foot where the blood pooled down. Why didn't I think of calling the cops at the spot instead of a half mile down the road? Hindsight and all that!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: I came ( ) this close to being part of a bumper. [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I am glad you are OK. Rejoice in knowing that ahole lives a miserable life and will never know true happiness. ;)

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: I came ( ) this close to being part of a bumper. [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Wow, I am glad you are OK. Rejoice in knowing that ahole lives a miserable life and will never know true happiness. ;)

I'm also happy knowing he lives part of his life in Jersey. Damn snowbird!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: I came ( ) this close to being part of a bumper. [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Rejoice in knowing that ahole lives a miserable life and will never know true happiness. ;)

I like to think of myself as an optimist, but I always find lines like this a bunch of hokey bull shit. Just IMO.

That ahole might go home to a super attractive, attentive, loving wife, yacht, summer home, and have nothing bad ever happen to him. Nor will it ever cross that person's mind that they're a douche nor that they aren't happy, in fact he probably loves his life and might feel perfectly happy.

I'm glad the OP is ok. But, if Duterte executes drug dealers I think we can do better with inherently dangerous drivers. Maybe caned in public, or shame them on Twitter/Facebook. I dunno. But shit's ridiculous sometimes out there, and it's because there aren't any real penalties handed out that'd make people think twice.

Give a minivan mom of 4 a ten year prison term for texting and killing someone and you'll start to grab people's attention behind the wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: I came ( ) this close to being part of a bumper. [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
Rejoice in knowing that ahole lives a miserable life and will never know true happiness. ;)

I like to think of myself as an optimist, but I always find lines like this a bunch of hokey bull shit. Just IMO.

That ahole might go home to a super attractive, attentive, loving wife, yacht, summer home, and have nothing bad ever happen to him. Nor will it ever cross that person's mind that they're a douche nor that they aren't happy, in fact he probably loves his life and might feel perfectly happy.

I'm glad the OP is ok. But, if Duterte executes drug dealers I think we can do better with inherently dangerous drivers. Maybe caned in public, or shame them on Twitter/Facebook. I dunno. But shit's ridiculous sometimes out there, and it's because there aren't any real penalties handed out that'd make people think twice.

Give a minivan mom of 4 a ten year prison term for texting and killing someone and you'll start to grab people's attention behind the wheel.

How did you get from Nova almost getting hurt to giving a minivan mom 10 years in prison? Ah, that's the optimist in you.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you are alright and safe. You are correct, no one would expect any vehicle to back up in front of an entrance like that. That's just someone who thinks the world revolves around them.

And I think you did not lay on the ground and call the police then is that you are not confrontational. Plus, there's that adrenaline surge from avoiding getting run over.

Take care of that calf.
Quote Reply
Re: I came ( ) this close to being part of a bumper. [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noodle_soup wrote:
Glad you are alright and safe. You are correct, no one would expect any vehicle to back up in front of an entrance like that. That's just someone who thinks the world revolves around them.

And I think you did not lay on the ground and call the police then is that you are not confrontational. Plus, there's that adrenaline surge from avoiding getting run over.

Take care of that calf.

You are like the 10th person to say that.

I have an appt tomorrow. I can't stand the pain. It's really bad I just know it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get the license plate number? I don't think it is too late to call the police and report this. If you have an injury then that driver is responsible for your medical care. It doesn't matter whether you saw his reverse lights or not. A pedestrian has the right of way in a parking lot - drivers don't have the right to drive towards people and expect them to get out of the way. In fact you have the right to walk in front of a moving car (assuming they have time to stop) in a parking lot.

Report it to the police. Feel free to take the worst case view, e.g. this was a "hit and run" because he caused an injury and damage to property and then left the scene without reporting it or giving you his information. You did ask for his information, right? If not it's probably because you were in shock/pumped up on adrenaline and not thinking well. The extent of your injury is just now becoming apparent and you are realizing you have material damages that you need to purse recovery from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

I'm also happy knowing he lives part of his life in Jersey. Damn snowbird!

HEY!!!!

Glad you're reasonably OK, Nova and one of "us" didn't run you over

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask the store if they have security cameras covering that area. They may but, the recordings may not be preserved for very long.
Quote Reply
Re: I came ( ) this close to being part of a bumper. [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't get any info. I didn't think it was that bad, until today.

I'm reasonably sure I tore the muscle where it attaches to the achilles. There is a slight indent at the spot and my calf is black and blue.

I'm screwed!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Security cameras are everywhere. I bet the whole incident was recorded from a couple of different points. Go back and look around. Ask businesses. If you file a complaint, the cops might be able to get copies. Good luck.

Glad you weren't seriously injured.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Re: I came ( ) this close to being part of a bumper. [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
Ask the store if they have security cameras covering that area. They may but, the recordings may not be preserved for very long.

That's a good idea.

It probably sounds like a hassle. But I think it is important to follow through, just in case. Or at the very least, report it to the store as an incident so there is a record of it. Just in case.

Hope the doctor's visit tomorrow goes smoothly.
Quote Reply
Re: I came ( ) this close to being part of a bumper. [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noodle_soup wrote:
ike wrote:

That's a good idea.

It probably sounds like a hassle. But I think it is important to follow through, just in case. Or at the very least, report it to the store as an incident so there is a record of it. Just in case.

That's out. I'm going to the ER right after work. I can't handle the pain anymore.

Wanna hear something funny? I'm at work in an ER right now, but we don't have an MRI machine, only CT, so I'm going to the main hospital just in case they want an MRI

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
Wanna hear something funny? I'm at work in an ER right now, but we don't have an MRI machine, only CT, so I'm going to the main hospital just in case they want an MRI

That IS funny

It's kinda like working at Subway, but going to Wawa to get a hoagie for lunch

Keep us posted

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noodle_soup wrote:
ike wrote:

That's a good idea.

Called the non emergency police. I have to go in to make a report. I did call the plaza and they do have cameras.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are doing all the right things as well as getting your injury looked at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a complete waste of my time. I knew I should have just roughed it out and let it be.

The Er came in for 8 seconds, touched my leg and left. Said he was going to give me something for pain, that was 30 minutes ago

Now I’m mad at myself and the world. How quickly things turn

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think getting it checked out was good. If the ER doc thought it was more serious, they would have sent you for more diagnostics, no?

At least you can put your mind at ease that it wasn't a 'traumatic' injury. Remember to ice it though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:-(
keep us updated. so sorry. glad it wasn't worse.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noodle_soup wrote:
I think getting it checked out was good. If the ER doc thought it was more serious, they would have sent you for more diagnostics, no?

At least you can put your mind at ease that it wasn't a 'traumatic' injury. Remember to ice it though.

I think the doc thought I was a drug seeker and didn't give two shits about my leg. I'm the perfect picture of a seeker, I take Celexa for my depression and clonazapam for my anxiety. That is the perfect combo for drug seekers. I am of course NOT seeking pain meds, I am trying to get some answers to if I have to be concerned about my leg.

I was in terrible shape yesterday, but I think I feel better today. I guess time will tell.

Quote Reply