Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach?
Quote | Reply
Per month?$ How much shall I expect to pay? Looking for medium to a higher end coach prices ie Purple Patch, Siri L. Etc.

Or PM me please with ballpark # and if you would recommend their services. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.purplepatchfitness.com/11matt

$1500/month. I believe the rate for Joel Filliol is similar. But with those coaches besides being able to afford it you need to be able to get in since they have very few (if any) openings.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
250 to 350, unless you get a celebrity...
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:

$1500/month. I believe the rate for Joel Filliol is similar. But with those coaches besides being able to afford it you need to be able to get in since they have very few (if any) openings.

OMG wasn’t expecting some people pay that. Affluent and should be investigated 😂
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:

Can I just buy one day for $50?
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach? [matate99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matate99 wrote:
Benv wrote:

Can I just buy one day for $50?

$50 strictly gets you the trucker hat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Benv wrote:

OMG wasn’t expecting some people pay that. Affluent and should be investigated 😂

The scary part is that ballroom dancing lessons at Arthur Miller with the few events they do per year, end up costing that much per year. And that's not for some top elite dance coach, either, that's for joe average ballroom dance coach who is local.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
thatzone wrote:
Benv wrote:

The scary part is that ballroom dancing lessons at Arthur Miller ...

I had no idea he could dance

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've hired one of recommended by TrainingPeaks find a coach service for $150/month. I had 0 understanding of what triathlon is and didn't know slowtwitch existed.
I definitely got my money worth of advice and learned hundred little details about a new sport.

But I think he was not really able ( or didn't have time ) to understand how to push me correctly and how to read my feedback. I got overtrained and hated the workouts.
If I ever going to look for a coach again, I'll have to be prepared to pay more.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach? [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Price does not = quality. Shop around and talk to the prospective coach. Really understand what the service offering is and make sure yourself and the coach mutually respect that.

When athletes and coaches start getting unhappy with each other it is often due to misalignment in understanding the offer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$250-$400 per month is what you'd pay for a quality coach who isn't ripping you off.
If you're getting coached by a "Name" for over $400, almost for sure you're getting ripped off. Unless you're a top end pro. If that's the case, you'll probably get some good coaching.

I've seen some complete malpractice by "name" coaches for pro's that you'd think would be getting actual attention. More than one has already been mentioned.

That said, there are a few name coaches who provide quality coaching to AG'ers. They are usually spoken of highly on this board (by Ag'ers), and they are usually fully booked.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach? [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good topic for this forum. My experience -
  • $1200/Quarter ($400/month)
  • Coach is a former pro, with multiple Kona finishes as a pro
  • Service includes weekly personalized workout plans, tailored to my work/life schedule, laid out in detail in TrainingPeaks.com.
  • Periodic in person swim or run sessions
  • Crisp weekly calls to check in on progress, recovery, plans.
  • In depth pre-race advice and planning
  • The occasional much needed kick in the butt. E.g., - "We agreed to do X, you did Y, WTF!!" :)

I couldn't ask for more. I mostly need the structure and accountability that a good coach provides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unpopular opinion but coaching is overrated. Most of us are tri junkies and there are plenty of resources out there to put together a great plan. At the end of the day, no one knows yourself better than you.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach? [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If a "coach" just gives you workouts, you are absolutely correct.

But a real coach does more than that; tailors the workouts to you, identifies blindspots and guides you through them. I have KQ'd 3 times self-coached. Have a coach now for the first time in my life (for 4 weeks now) and I'm feeling better, training better, and going faster on a lot less work. Totally worth it for me!

My coach is a current Asian Ironman professional, sub 9 finisher and lives in the same city as me and even before coaching we trained together. So that is a HUGE added bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, Purplepatch is anywhere from $100 - $1500 per month depending on the level of communication you are looking for. $1500 is for 1:1 coaching directly from Matt with a very high quantity of weekly communication/education.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's your coach? I'm in Chiang Mai great place to train but not a lot of crew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Per month?$ How much shall I expect to pay? Looking for medium to a higher end coach prices ie Purple Patch, Siri L. Etc.

Or PM me please with ballpark # and if you would recommend their services. Thank you!

I've found it most cost efficient to say you want to use their services, have them to your house for the initial consult, and nab 'em! All the free coaching you'll ever need that way.

Quote Reply
Re: What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach? [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree with what you said. if they just provide you with workouts and there's little communication between coach and athlete and the plan is not customized to the needs of the athlete then might as well just get a prepackage plan. for me, I don't have KQ goals but I do a lot of different events between triathlon, gravel races, running events, etc. and attempting to manage those by myself is a bit challenging. I've improved every year in my races while training fewer hours and staying healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach? [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:

I'll be there for a week next month, what's the best way to train? Can you rent a proper bike there?

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
Unpopular opinion but coaching is overrated. Most of us are tri junkies and there are plenty of resources out there to put together a great plan. At the end of the day, no one knows yourself better than you.

Disclaimer: I coach triathlon

That said...

If a coach is just throwing workouts at you without customization, then you might as well just use a plan downloaded from the internet. If you have been at it a long time you might be able to build the knowledge to develop your own plan. However I know plenty of people (some Kona qualifiers) who have straight up told me they don't actually understand the gory details of the process, don't care to learn the gory details, and would rather their coach figure it out for them. There are plenty of people who simply want the responsibility of figuring out what they should do for training to be outsourced so they can focus on other things.

I can tell you from my own personal experience that despite the fact that I am fully knowledgeable enough to build a very good plan for myself, I would not be able to coach myself. I rely on my own coach to keep me in check. I don't need accountability to actually do the work. My motivation is my own and I don't need help there. What I do need help with is keeping my enthusiasm in check, and also to keep my failures in perspective. If I was my own coach, I might be tempted to re-do a failed workout, or improperly reschedule a missed workout. Maybe the workout was only a failure in my mind because I was only holding 245 watts instead of the target 250 watts. I rely on my coach to keep the irrational part of my brain from declaring failure on something when in reality that ride was still perfectly acceptable. I need my coach to prevent me from going off the deep end trying to fix something I perceive as a weakness (maybe my FTP is too low for my tastes) and losing focus on other things (like if I decide to try to raise my FTP, but end up losing run fitness as a result because I backed off running). Basically when things go a bit off-piste, the rational part of my brain goes away and I need someone to tell me to slow my roll. I am certain if I were to try to build my own plan I would subconsciously either make it too easy (because a swim that hard doesn't sound like much fun in the winter), or make it too hard (hey I am trying to KQ here!) and possibly hurt myself. I wouldn't even really know I was doing it.

From my perspective as someone who coaches others, building a plan is the easy part of my job. That isn't remotely a challenge, even for a "complicated" plan that includes many different races and types of races. It's everything else that goes around the plan that is the hard part. Sometimes it's simply knowing when workouts need to move around to accommodate "life" things and when they need to be chalked up as missed. It's knowing when a workout is truly a failure and talking an athlete off a ledge. It's keeping athletes uninjured, but if injuries do occur, knowing how to maximize the capability they still have while they recover from the injury. There are a ton of other subtle things that go in to coaching someone else that you cannot always do for yourself despite having the technical knowledge for building a plan. I am sure there are people who are perfectly capable of designing their own plan and sticking to it, and able to rearrange it appropriately when needed, staying rational when things don't go right. I am not one of those people. I am great at doing it when I can stay disconnected and rational as I can for my own athletes, but when my own training is concerned that's a different can of beans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:

Sam Hsieh, who in turn is coached by Dylan McNeice.

If you are interested send me a PM and I can pass the information along.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s the going rate for a good/great tri coach? [frebay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frebay wrote:
vanchize wrote:

I'll be there for a week next month, what's the best way to train? Can you rent a proper bike there?

I brought my bike but you can rent a bike good road bike from a few shops. Affluent cycling community here. Best place to train is the 700 year stadium. Olympic pool, tracks, trails to run on with hardly anyone around.
Quote Reply