Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WeWork Investments by Firm
Quote | Reply
Will one of you investment experts explain how this happened? Was it just wishful thinking? No oversight? It just wasn't a couple of bucks lost. And it speaks volumes as to who is an "expert".

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: WeWork Investments by Firm [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually encouraged that mine did the best out of all those. Isn't it all just giant paper built bubble speculation at this point?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is one of the benefits of having an active manager;)
The stock never went public, so any funds that were invested in Wework were through some kind of "venture capital" fund managed by these firms. None of us pikers in simple index funds got stuck holding any part of this bag.

It's pretty interesting looking at some of the recent duds of IPOs (Lyft, Uber, WeWork). In the early 2000s venture capital found lots of suckers with IPOs, some of the current unicorns, not so much.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Dec 9, 19 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Will one of you investment experts explain how this happened?

FOMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Will one of you investment experts explain how this happened? Was it just wishful thinking? No oversight? It just wasn't a couple of bucks lost. And it speaks volumes as to who is an "expert".

Read Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell.

Adam Neumann is a master of deception.
Quote Reply
Re: WeWork Investments by Firm [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
Will one of you investment experts explain how this happened?

FOMO.

I did think that was possible but really? No deep analytics? No view of the books / market etc? As an outsider it gives me pause when I think about how many other deals have gone down because of FOMO.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply