Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

North Korea will not denuclearize
Quote | Reply
Shocking!!! Who would have ever thought this would happen?

Did they just give their Christmas gift early or is there something more?

So maybe our great negotiator will send another love letter and bring them back to the table? Maybe another face to face meeting without preconditions and a bunch of vague verbal agreements is in order?

https://thehill.com/...ks-are-off-the-table
Last edited by: FishyJoe: Dec 7, 19 16:10
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea will not denuclearize [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The scary think is that trump needs a foreign policy win so badly and EVERY country knows it. I shudder to think of the "deal" he is going to get ahead of next election. They are going to be able to get anything they want. It is just amazing how just plain dumb trump is, he thinks that a good relation will result in good deals. But he is so ignorant about everything that he doesn't even know what a good deal would be. Plus, making a deal with NK was going to be very hard after pulling out of the Iran deal. Why would a country make a deal with trump?

In all fairness the policy towards NK has been really flawed for multiple administrations. No administration was willing to let NK just keep what they had, nobody was willing to have a deal where NK got to keep their nuclear weapons, but could not test (nuclear weapons and missiles) any further. That deal with either Bush, Obama, or Trump would have left us in a much better position now. Bush didn't because his advisors could never accept that. Obama had some pushing for that, but Republicans would have never ever allowed it and reversed it immediately once trump won just like Iran. I actually had a bit of hope trump would pull it off based on his ignorance and willingness to make a deal.

We need to accept reality just like we accepted it with Russia and China, NK is a nuclear power now. The best we can do is freeze where they currently are at. There is no going back, that is just not reality in any near future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fake news!

There will be so much winning and deals aplenty! Fibbing Fishyjoe should be tried for treason for spreading such lies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course not. They've been working on it since 1956. It keeps people from messing with them. I wouldn't if I were them either.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea will not denuclearize [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Of course not. They've been working on it since 1956. It keeps people from messing with them. I wouldn't if I were them either.

I am surprised they haven't opened a luxury resort. With all that coastline the opportunities for Time sharing are endless. Makes you wonder what their end game really is?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea will not denuclearize [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, they have a new luxury ski resort, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...rn-civilisation.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG!!!! He must be IMPEACHED IMMEDIATELY!!!!

IMPEACH!! RUSSIA!! MUELLER!! The Constitution COMPELS us!!!

Just can’t believe that SOB got elected! OMG! We must HATE him out of office!

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea will not denuclearize [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelgirl wrote:
Well, they have a new luxury ski resort, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...rn-civilisation.html

Dang. I read this forum for posts like yours. I can't wait to send my kids to re-education, er ski camp. Thanks!

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea will not denuclearize [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
The scary think is that trump needs a foreign policy win so badly and EVERY country knows it. I shudder to think of the "deal" he is going to get ahead of next election. They are going to be able to get anything they want. It is just amazing how just plain dumb trump is, he thinks that a good relation will result in good deals. But he is so ignorant about everything that he doesn't even know what a good deal would be. Plus, making a deal with NK was going to be very hard after pulling out of the Iran deal. Why would a country make a deal with trump?

In all fairness the policy towards NK has been really flawed for multiple administrations. No administration was willing to let NK just keep what they had, nobody was willing to have a deal where NK got to keep their nuclear weapons, but could not test (nuclear weapons and missiles) any further. That deal with either Bush, Obama, or Trump would have left us in a much better position now. Bush didn't because his advisors could never accept that. Obama had some pushing for that, but Republicans would have never ever allowed it and reversed it immediately once trump won just like Iran. I actually had a bit of hope trump would pull it off based on his ignorance and willingness to make a deal.

We need to accept reality just like we accepted it with Russia and China, NK is a nuclear power now. The best we can do is freeze where they currently are at. There is no going back, that is just not reality in any near future.

So the current status quo being no better, nor worse off, than anything in past half century is the reality. Trump did give it the unconventional college try. And he will claim victory for something, no doubt, after all he does have the love letters in a shoe box under his bed. Upon the occasion of his death, I am sure they will fetch a nice chunk of change at the estate auction.

Serious question, are the letters his property for his library or are they official National Archives material?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a dotard.
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea will not denuclearize [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
So the current status quo being no better, nor worse off, than anything in past half century is the reality.

The status quo is worse than it was though. NK now has functioning nuclear weapons and missiles capable of reaching the entire continental united states. The longer we let this go on the more capable and more warheads/missiles they will have. So every year just keeps getting worse and worse.

In addition trump has hurt the credibility of any deal we could make by pulling out of the Iran deal. He has given up significant leverage already with NK by having meetings and giving NK the credibility they crave. He has echoed NK talking points like calling the military exercises War Games. It has given Kim a bunch of great domestic propaganda. He has also hurt our alliances, hurting our alliances with SK and Japan. The push for SK to develop nuclear weapons is growing.

He has somehow managed to make a bad situation even worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serious question, are the letters his property for his library or are they official National Archives materials?

Depends, were they sent through normal channels, or were they hand delivered by Giuliani, you know Trumps personal attorney. (at least for now, that is about to change big time) I know you asked for serious, but I'm actually not sure what his personal stuff that is mixed with country business is called, or how it will be archived.
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea will not denuclearize [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
gofigure wrote:
So the current status quo being no better, nor worse off, than anything in past half century is the reality.

The status quo is worse than it was though. NK now has functioning nuclear weapons and missiles capable of reaching the entire continental united states. The longer we let this go on the more capable and more warheads/missiles they will have. So every year just keeps getting worse and worse.

In addition trump has hurt the credibility of any deal we could make by pulling out of the Iran deal. He has given up significant leverage already with NK by having meetings and giving NK the credibility they crave. He has echoed NK talking points like calling the military exercises War Games. It has given Kim a bunch of great domestic propaganda. He has also hurt our alliances, hurting our alliances with SK and Japan. The push for SK to develop nuclear weapons is growing.

He has somehow managed to make a bad situation even worse.

My status quo was in the narrow sense in that NK's pursuit of a nuclear weapons on missiles short, intermediate or long always was going to happen regardless . Trump failed just as others before, only he did it differently. More and more nukes? The number will never be significant because they are not weapons to Kim (he wants only to continue as supreme leader and a retaliatory strike raining down on him would abruptly end that) , his nukes are just leverage to Kim. As for domestic propaganda help to Kim, did he need it? he can and does invent his own and brainwashes all children to love and obey him just as ardently as dear Donald.

WRT implications of our further deal making and the balance of power in the region and our alliance position, for sure trump's good cop bad cop personal transactional approach overseas makes for a tougher road ahead for his successor. So yes life will be worse. At least he was smart enough not to sell the farm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
. At least he was smart enough not to sell the farm.

Unless you count selling out. Because flying the U.S. President overseas to meet with Dear Leader with the U.S. and N.K. flags in the background as equals arguably devalued U.S. world standing. We granted the arguably worst murderous regime of the past 70 years a luxurious state visit. And the U.S. President didn't get anything except public embarrassment. If you're going to cash in U.S. prestige and moral superiority by stooping down like that, it'd sure been nice to get something in return.
Quote Reply
Re: North Korea will not denuclearize [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
gofigure wrote:
. At least he was smart enough not to sell the farm.

Unless you count selling out. Because flying the U.S. President overseas to meet with Dear Leader with the U.S. and N.K. flags in the background as equals arguably devalued U.S. world standing. We granted the arguably worst murderous regime of the past 70 years a luxurious state visit. And the U.S. President didn't get anything except public embarrassment. If you're going to cash in U.S. prestige and moral superiority by stooping down like that, it'd sure been nice to get something in return.

Loss or gain of prestige pales in comparison to selling the farm with removing all troops from the peninsula and the removal of all sanctions for an unverifiable promise to denuclearize. As unpredictable as he is, this farm was up for sale.
Quote Reply