Prev Next
Re: Beware the long dick of the law. [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man I hate those stupid billboards....
Quote Reply
Re: Beware the long dick of the law. [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:

Thanks, now I know exactly what I’m getting several of my friends for Xmas!
Quote Reply
Re: Beware the long dick of the law. [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is local. According to a friend, the dude was late to the hearing today, and the judge said "Tell you what, slick, the profession does not need you. I am going to do what I can to remove you from this profession."
Quote Reply
Re: Beware the long dick of the law. [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd rather deal with someone like this than this one attorney I was up against who was polite as ever with me but tried (unsuccessfully) to bully and intimidate one of our associates. From time to time, we get opposing counsel who think they can yell at my secretary. Our firm has an express policy of professional courtesy and it's even in our engagement letter, so that clients understand in advance that we're not going to be dicks or play games when there's a reasonable request for an extension, etc. But that goes out the window when you yell at my secretary over the phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
This is local. According to a friend, the dude was late to the hearing today, and the judge said "Tell you what, slick, the profession does not need you. I am going to do what I can to remove you from this profession."

What I read was that he wasn't "late" but was instead sitting in the gallery watching the proceedings and then finally stood up after the court called his name a time or three.

The judge likely jacked up the chances of a real punishment from the bar by getting personally involved. He should have remained neutral, assessed a strict but appropriate punishment and then let the bar get involved.

I agree with the dude's frustrations with Allstate but his tactics are all wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Beware the long dick of the law. [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Our firm has an express policy of professional courtesy and it's even in our engagement letter, so that clients understand in advance that we're not going to be dicks or play games when there's a reasonable request for an extension, etc. But that goes out the window when you yell at my secretary over the phone.

There's a defense lawyer in Louisiana I am dealing with. He's a decent guy but a hothead. He called one day and yelled at my receptionist. I emailed him and told I would not return his calls or engage him any further in the matter until he called to apologize to her. It took him 2 days but he finally did. He's been better since then.
Quote Reply
Re: Beware the long dick of the law. [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, the bar won’t care what the judge said here If there’s punishment to be had, and there is, it will be imposed regardless
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This reminds me of a video that was floating around a few years back with some lawyers in Texas basically having fist fight during a deposition,

I don’t recall opposing counsel being rude to my assistants, but have fired a client for their behavior towards my staff.

Flip it around about ten years ago I was still doing family law and had to essentially tell opposing counsel that I was not going to discuss our case with her secretary. The actual attorney wouldn’t talk to me directly and had her secretary call me to negotiate substantive issues with the case. Even emails were barb the secretary relating what Susan the attorney wanted to tell me. It was bizarre, irritating and disrespectful.

I wasn’t even sure the attorney was real until I saw her at a motion hearing because she farked up service of her disco requests. The error was a technical one that 99 times out of 100 I would either bring to counsel’s attention as a courtesy or simply answer anyway, but because I was already fairly aggravated I just ignored the requests.

I thought this might merit a call from Counsel herself, but no, just a flurry of calls and emails from the secretary which I studiously ignored. Eventually she filed a motion to compel and in my response I delineated the errors she made, how to correct it and requested sanctions for wasting my client’s money if she insisted on teeing it up for hearing vs. simply correcting her mistake. I figured that would be the end of it.

Instead, she set it for hearing. She argued I was being a big meanie. I countered that it is not my job as opposing counsel to proof her work and that it would be doubly difficult even if I wanted to as she refused to communicate with me. No sanctions, but the court did admonish her to consider actually talking to the other side before taking up time on his motion docket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
This reminds me of a video that was floating around a few years back with some lawyers in Texas basically having fist fight during a deposition,

this one:

Joe Jamail was a badass!
Quote Reply
Re: Beware the long dick of the law. [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OakCliffTri wrote:
chriskal wrote:

this one:

Joe Jamail was a badass!

That’s the one. We’re there any repercussions one way or the other?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:

That’s the one. We’re there any repercussions one way or the other?

unlikely. Those days were like the wild west.
Quote Reply

Prev Next