Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Meal delivery kits- now that plated is no longer
Quote | Reply
In addition to some fun Dave Ramsey inspired rants - I’m looking for people’s recommendations on meal delivery kits. (Don’t worry we finished our baby steps ages ago).

We have done plated 2x/ wk for probably three years and this week was the last week they are doing delivery kits.

We like to eat 30-70% of our meals in veggies- and while we have been known to add veggies we’re looking for heavy veggie content. We also have a family of three. One could take a meal for lunch- but usually we just end up eating more dinner if there’s extra- so three portion options are ideal.

My cooking knowledge and our eating variety has expanded so much- I don’t want to go back to our three meal rotation.

So- what options do people like?
Quote Reply
Re: Meal delivery kits- now that plated is no longer [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get Freshly. Food is good and there's a variety. You can pause a week or more if you are traveling (huge plus for me). Meals are in MyFitnessPal if you log food.

http://refer.freshly.com/s/Cathy442

First 6 meals for $39 for 2 weeks and I get a credit.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Meal delivery kits- now that plated is no longer [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Freshly is made meals though, you don’t cook, right? I kind of enjoy drinking a glass of wine and cooking a few nights a week- so looking for a kit that you cook. I just hate the grocery store and using half a bunch of parsley and pitching the rest later despite best laid plans.
Quote Reply
Re: Meal delivery kits- now that plated is no longer [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Thank you! Freshly is made meals though, you don’t cook, right? I kind of enjoy drinking a glass of wine and cooking a few nights a week- so looking for a kit that you cook. I just hate the grocery store and using half a bunch of parsley and pitching the rest later despite best laid plans.

I learned to cook when I was about 7. I will cook at night or on the weekends and for parties, so I do the shopping then (and get a farmers box from May-November), plus, I have a ton of cookbooks. Freshly is for work since I hate leftovers and need the convenience of having it in the work refrigerator.

I've seen ads for Blue Apron.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife just started doing hello fresh. Generous portions, you can upgrade meal choices if you want something fancy (like scallop risotto with truffle). Ingredients are top notch. Not sure of their vegetarian options, but I doubt they wouldn't have that market covered.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, wow-- I hadn't heard that Plated was stopping. We've tried Plated, Blue Apron, and Hello Fresh in the past, and I'd rank them in that order. Seemed like Blue Apron and Hello Fresh had not as many choices that we cared for. And I liked how we could add a dessert in Plated to get over the free shipping threshold. (this was all 2-4 years ago, by my best guess)
I saved all of the recipe cards of the things we liked-- have a stack about 2" thick --and I just pull a few once in a while for easy meal planning and shop from those recipes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We used Blue Apron for several years. I liked it a lot. I enjoyed the variety and learned a fair amount about a variety of cooking techniques.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Fresh was good but also expensive once you got off their discount/promo rate (or at least more expensive than we were willing to spend weekly for it), we switched to Everyplate and were very happy with it. Similar quality produce and meats, the only tiny minus was they didn't individually package the meals so you had to sort through the box for that nights ingredients...but it was such a tiny inconvenience I almost didn't want to mention it.

Great customer service too, they screwed up 2 or 3 of the meals over the course of six or seven months - forgetting an ingredient, wrong ingredient type of thing - and comped us either the whole box or a discount off the box. I think their standard rate for three 2-person meals was something like $35 a week plus shipping, just way more reasonable than the alternatives we've tried. Only reason we cancelled was our son is now old enough to have a decent sized meal and we just weren't getting enough to feed three mouths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to go to the grocery store four or five times a week and see what looks good.
Quote Reply
Re: Meal delivery kits- now that plated is no longer [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s hard with three people- plated is the only one we found that you could order three portions.

It also seems much more expensive without a bunch of venture capital subsidizing my meal kits :-) come on investors- just a hundred mil investment so I can get $8 fancy dinner delivered. It’s going to be huge!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We subscribe to Blue Apron and Hello Fresh - I should say, my wife does - I tend to prefer to cook from scratch. I find that Hello Fresh is better in terms of ingredients, quality of meats, etc. The meals have tended to get a bit repetitive - virtually every week has some version of: tacos, a Korean-esque bowl, a zatar-y middle eastern yellow chicken n' chickpeas n' raisins n' rice thingy. Blue Apron tends to require more prep, has had a steep drop in the quality of its meats and veg since it started - it seems to be the industry leader and perhaps is resting on its laurels a tad. I will say I appreciate not throwing out vegetables I'd purchased Sunday with good intentions, but had been unable to cook by the following Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've been doing Hello Fresh, the vegetarian option. But I now believe that I need to supplement it with Butcher Box in order to properly round out the meals.
Quote Reply