Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heated socks/gloves
Quote | Reply
Anyone using heated socks or gloves. My daughter is the statistician for her school football team. No matter what she wears on her feet they are always freezing while standing around during the games. Wanted to get her a pair of heated socks for next year. Also figured she could use them skiing. Looking online they seem to range from $40 for AA battery ones to $300 for rechargable ones. I don't mind spending a bit more money if I know they are going to work.

Also looking for a pair for heated gloves/mittens for my wife. She has pour circulation in her hands. Looking for something a bit dressier for her to wear around everyday and to work. Most I see online look to be a ski/outdoor work type/style.

I found a couple of sites that offer both but there are so many styles and types was looking to see someone had an actual pair they liked.
Quote Reply
Re: Heated socks/gloves [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No personal experience but coworker hunts with rechargeable ones that are expensive. She says the aa battery ones are a waste of money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing on socks but my wife has reynauds (sp) and the OR gloves work well. She’s had mittens for skiing for three years and I picked i up some gloves that are nicer for everyday use (similar to the link below). The nice thing about these is that they are nice gloves that have heat, whereas the cheap ones tend to be bad when the battery dies.

https://www.backcountry.com/...aGVhdGVkIGdsb3Zlcw==
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a fan of heated socks. The key for keeping your feet warm is keeping your core warm, good footwear and socks that don't allow your feet to sweat. You must keep your core warm, if not your body shuts down circulation to the extremities in order to keep the core warm. That is the first key. Second key is great footwear and merino wool socks. I know this is outside of your question, but I would start asking her what she is wearing in the core area first, correct that then move to the extremities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is she wearing for the game?

Just stand by the sideline heater or sit in the box upstairs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My MIL got my daughter Mount Tec heated gloves last year- so they probably have about 20-25 ski days on them with no issues.

You just have to remember to charge them.

She says they are not as warm as her other gloves without the heater on.

I have no heard her complain of cold hand since she got them- which has improved my ski experience.

A lot of my friends have the heated boot insoles- I would think those would be better than heated socks. They seem to like them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not heated, but I do love those chem-packs for the especially chilly days. I buy them at Dollarama. They're more suited to gloves than boots. My only experience with feet is way back I had heated ski boots... I always found them to be meh. I know that you can buy heated boots or insoles, too... maybe they could be a ood choice vs. socks that will go through wash cycles and potentially break down?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that heat analysis starts at the core.

I recommend a vest (Patagonia $70) over a long sleeve thermal shirt as an effective and attractive way to layer up. A wind-proof outer shell would be fantastic for her.

Next, the legs need adequate insulation. Check out fleece lined pants (Eddie Bauer $50). This style is super warm and sleek— she won’t feel like she’s wearing ugly, bulky pants. These pants are not entirely wind proof, but they come close. I have worn them to run in -10* weather.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/...fleece-lined%20pants

Mittens are generally better than gloves— need to be wind proof. A hat or head band to keep ears warm.

Heat won’t be trapped as well by tight clothing. So thick socks in regular shoes can be counter productive. I’d recommend a cute pair of Kamuk boots ($75-150) with some Smartwool socks ($20). Kamuk boots are generally waterproof and reliably cute.

If she has all this gear, her trouble will be sweating too much. She can use all or some of it as weather demands.
Quote Reply
Re: Heated socks/gloves [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She is standing on the sidelines. Weather is usually in the high 30's-low 40's so it's not like it super cold. Other than her feet she's warm. Usually has on thermal underwear (legs) then a pair of jeans or leggings over them. Long sleeve shirt, fleece vest and winter jacket. Hat on her head. Feet is wool socks and LL Bean duck boots. Boots aren't insulated. Has also tried her sneakers. I've suggested women snow boots but you have to remember, this is high school so the outfit also has to be stylish and trendy so my snow boot idea got shot down. Games usually only last about 3 hrs so it's not like the socks have to last all day.

I've got some heated insoles for my ski boots and they work well. I don't think insoles would be a good fit. At least the ones I have are meant to be permanent in the ski boots or whatever pair of shoes you put them in. My other thought with the socks is the versatility. Could wear them any cold winter day she wanted, not just the games.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have terrible circulation in my hands and feet. Making it worse, I spend a lot of time outdoors for work. Ill be working outside, heat up, my feet will sweat, then cool down. When it ships below freezing It's horrible on my feet, to the point where I get deep, excruciatingly painful bruises in my toes from being constantly damp, and the circulation being so bad, if I'm not careful.

Keeping feet dry is key, as is keeping your core and legs warm. I have work boots rated to -20*, but if I'm not watching the other things above, I still get the bruises and my feet still feel frozen.

For hands, chem packs are a good solution.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
She is standing on the sidelines. Weather is usually in the high 30's-low 40's so it's not like it super cold. Other than her feet she's warm. Usually has on thermal underwear (legs) then a pair of jeans or leggings over them. Long sleeve shirt, fleece vest and winter jacket. Hat on her head. Feet is wool socks and LL Bean duck boots. Boots aren't insulated. Has also tried her sneakers. I've suggested women snow boots but you have to remember, this is high school so the outfit also has to be stylish and trendy so my snow boot idea got shot down. Games usually only last about 3 hrs so it's not like the socks have to last all day.

I've got some heated insoles for my ski boots and they work well. I don't think insoles would be a good fit. At least the ones I have are meant to be permanent in the ski boots or whatever pair of shoes you put them in. My other thought with the socks is the versatility. Could wear them any cold winter day she wanted, not just the games.

Put the shake hand warmers in her boots under her socks on the soles. Wear two pairs of socks. A thin sanitary sock and then a heavy sock over it. At halftime go to the training room and change the heaters. If they have parafin dips do that at halftime too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually go with 2 merino's, a 180 and 260 or 320 and a shell.

Gloves with silk liners. A good glove: hestra, arc or something

Walking boots with top qual ski socks. And I'm good to go.

Below - 20 I've a rab down and phd design down mittens

Shit never gets cold with down mittens. Ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Packer season ticket holder. My mantra is - "There is no excuse for being cold at a Packer game." We tailgate 3 hours before the game and sit waiting for traffic for about 45 min after the game. So, we are in the elements for close to 8 hours. I have tried all the heated products. Most are garbage.

IMO, hands, down, the little disposable foot warmers are the way to go. Make sure she is wearing boots that are AT LEAST one size "too big." Put on a pair of thin socks, then a foot warmer on top and a foot warmer on bottom. Then thick wool socks. Then boots. I guarantee they will not be cold (so long as the boots are not too tight).

I use these: https://www.amazon.com/...TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spend a few weekends each winter dog sledding in Michigan's U.P., including a few times when the actual temperature has been -30 degrees F.

I use these boots https://www.baffin.com/...er/products/40001305 they are very expensive but work great. Cabellas has a version that is similar, but less expensive. I use a thin sock liner, then a quality expedition weight sock.

For gloves, I use these mittens https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/...-gloves&start=18

Either of these aren't very fashionable and are quite expensive but they have worked great.

I have tried various AA battery operated socks and haven't been satisfied with the results but I've never tried the $300 rechargeable variety. I also have used the disposable hand and foot warmers that JSA referenced. They work great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep the body core warm and warm blood will get to the feet and hands.

Good boots are important. Lambwool boot liners / inserts can help.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cold feet start as wet feet. Here is my drill and it has helped a lot:

Dry boots on peets boot dryer.

Let boots get cool/cold prior to putting them on

Fresh dry socks, then boots.

Wear less insulation than you think to keep feet from sweating. Once my feet sweat, I end up with cold feet.

This year I am going to start spraying my feet with antiperspirant before putting socks on.

When it is going to be really cold, I wear my Baffin Impacts, rated to -148F.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get her some Sorel snow boots and medium thickness ski socks. Sorel has some very stylish boots now. Check the weather rating and get ones that are for 0 degree or even a little colder and a good ski sock and she can be outside all damn day and not have cold feet. No need for battery operated footwear. I LIVE in my Sorels from basically now through April. Haven’t had cold feet in years and it’s gets brutally cold here at times (-40 at the extreme but in the 0 range). And if outside, I’m standing on snow.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some extra musk ox quivit I can send you. I use it in my hockey skates when we play up here (outside). I stuff it in the toes and it's so nice. It's lighter and water resistant (doesn't lose R value when wet) and compresses awesome, she'll never know she has it in. Granted, it's a bundle of hair she stuffs in her shoes, and she may not want that. But it works legit. But also, might not be the right solution. But it's free to try.
Quote Reply
Re: Heated socks/gloves [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude! That’s so nice of you. Musk ox quivit? That’s a quality offer and a quality scrabble word.

It’s my first time hearing of this stuff. Sorry I’m so obvious.
Quote Reply
Re: Heated socks/gloves [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the very few privledges of living in Nome. I have multiple hides, but as hunting season for them has been closed, now the kids and I just collect it from bushes around town. It is UNREAL warm. In fact, it has been said to me the warmest, lightest fiber on the planet (no i didn't make that up, Google it).

You know how to knit? Quivit and angora makes for a delicious scarf or hat!
Quote Reply
Re: Heated socks/gloves [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
One of the very few privledges of living in Nome. I have multiple hides, but as hunting season for them has been closed, now the kids and I just collect it from bushes around town. It is UNREAL warm. In fact, it has been said to me the warmest, lightest fiber on the planet (no i didn't make that up, Google it).

You know how to knit? Quivit and angora makes for a delicious scarf or hat!

I meant to reply earlier but your post sent me into a reverie. I don’t know how to knit. Maybe some day I’ll learn.

My dad’s cousin taught school in Nome and sent us beautiful knit gloves when I was a child. My parents sent tapes of Prairie Home Companion (RIP) to them. Nice you have internet up there. : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are buying into the warm core = warm feet line of reasoning, then a heated vest is a great way to go. I got my wife one a couple years ago, and she is addicted to it. She is a typically cold from fall to spring, and she has it on consistently during these times.
Her's is from Mobile Warming and runs on a 7.4v battery (I have no connection to them). They have a few different styles. Get an extra battery if you can. They last a 4 or so hours, but she often wears hers for much longer.
Quote Reply