Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Crows are back!
Quote | Reply
No not about the Black Crows--although it is very cool that they're back together and going on tour again!

MFing crows come in each year just as my pecans ripen around the house. It's nothing personal but I do love the pecan pies and cinnamon rolls my wife makes. So when I hear crows in my pecan trees it's game on!

Fortunately, living out in the country, I have recourse. So far I've shot three of the little fuckers this morning and Game Day isn't even on yet. I put their bodies around the pecan trees and eventually the crows get the message and move on across the county road to the many pecan trees in the cow pasture there. See now, wasn't that easy. Crows stay out of my pecan trees and I will stay out of your lives.

Crock potting some venison today for football games. Venison steak, cream of mushroom soup, apples, onions, garlic and some basic spices.

Go Army beat VMI (you better)

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: The Crows are back! [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if that's enough gun, Steve.

You may need to break out that 45-70 for Crowzilla. ;-)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: The Crows are back! [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! i fired subs for a while but actually had one bounce off a crows chest feathers. He let out an indignant cry and flew away. Now I use regular long rifle. They don't go super sonic so you just hear a "pop" and the "clack" as the bolt cycles. I usually only have to shoot three or four of the little bastards before they get the message and leave my pecan trees alone.

I love my wife's pecan pies

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crows got into my garden. I started shooting them. None anymore.

Same with Tree Rats. I've shot about 60 of them this year. I received a 'thank you' howl from the foxes. They have to eat too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am envious. Living the life killing ugly unwelcome winged creatures. reminded me of our Canadian transplanted illegal migrant geese and how encouraged I was to learn that the city of Denver took matters into their hands just like you and went about killing hundreds of those shitting nuisances. I think they balanced perspective by pulling the politically correct lever and made the birds available for homeless dining.

carry on with pride on every kill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assume that's your land beyond the trees there? SE GA, right? Living the dream except for the humidity part!
Quote Reply
Re: The Crows are back! [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We live about half way between ATL and Ft Benning--on the western side. Out in the middle of nowhere. And we like it.

I'm all hat--no cattle/horses. Although we're currently boarding a bunch of horses from Wounded Warriors program. Neighbor and I are talking about going back into the cow critter business but in a small way. Maybe 12 cows? At market weight we'd each keep one for our freezers and sell the other ten. Whole lotta fence work to do before we start that.

Here's my crockpot venison. One Venison roast; one apple; one onion; cream of mushroom soup; one can mushrooms; garlic; and various spices. Serve over egg noodles. Making myself hungry just talking about it :-)

Go Army Beat VMI !

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crows are a tough target. I'm after starlings this time of year, thousands of them after the grapes. They're skittish but less so than crows. I've been out several times and if they even catch site of me at this point, thousands of wings take to the air simultaneously and are surprisingly loud. I've got bird sh*t all over the outside of the pole barn. Thinking about upping my game with a blind.

My favorite uncle was a farmer cows, sheep, goats, chickens, and crops. He always said it's no more work to keep a whole herd than it is to have a few head.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
Quote Reply
Re: The Crows are back! [mop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IDK what I'd do what that starling problem. My aunt puts netting up over her blue berry bushes. Here I just take my losses due to bird forage and pick the blue berrys left to me. I've got 5 gal bags of blue berrys in my freezer--hell, I've got bags of frozen blue berrys from two years ago. Pecans are a different story as I've only four trees around the house--crows are more than welcome to eat all the pecans they want out in horse pasture; out in cow pasture, etc. Just not my four around the house. Eventually--each year--we come to a mutual understanding!

Cows. We are limited to how much grass/grazing land we have. Between me, my BIL and my neighbor we've 200+ acres of grazing land. But neighbors got horses; we've got the Wounded Warriors horses. So really not so much land to support cow critters. Mostly I just grow hay grass (Teff) and sell to local cattlemen. Secure cross fencing in couple of our pastures and a small-ish amount of cow critters would not be too much work. Next year we will probably do two more pigs as well. At this juncture we're up to H4 and N4 in terms of naming convention.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you’re telling us that you’ve got...wait for it...a murder of crows in your yard?

:) I crack myself up.

Personally, I have a lot of affection for crows. Smart, wily, don’t take shit from hawks who flex on their turf, wheel and dive like fighter pilots when a storm comes in.

I like pie too though, so I can understand your position. Happy hunting, and put a scoop of ice cream on the next piece of pie for me (I’m cutting weight for a jiu jistu tournament next month and it’s making me live vicariously through others’ culinary indulgences).
Quote Reply