Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any LR dems switch allegiance?
Quote | Reply
I just contributed to the Buttigieg campaign after an initial donation to Biden.

In 2008, I could not imagine America being progressive enough to nominate a black man, until Obama swept the Iowa caucus and then the election.

Not wanting to be left behind again, is America ready for a moderate combat veteran who is also gay?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Last edited by: SallyShortyPnts: Nov 14, 19 16:04
Quote Reply
Re: Any LR dems switch allegiance? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Policy, character, temperament, experience, in that order. Of all the Dem candidates, for me, Pete leads the pack in 2 and 3, while 4 is thin (still better than Trump’s) and 1 remains to be seen.

I hope he makes it to the final three. I’m more inclined to donate to his than other campaigns at present.

Edit: not a Democrat, typically split my vote among R and D, occasionally L.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Nov 14, 19 10:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not switched, as I’ve liked Buttigieg from the start.
I would vote Bloomberg too but think he’s come in too late.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really, I have stated I would vote for any the Dem nominees (except Bernie) over Trump. I have shifted slightly, and would probably hold my nose and vote for Bernie at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My stance on Pete is that he has moved way up in the VP lottery. I like him and all, but feel he has the one of the worst chances against Trump in the general. A Biden/Bloomberg ticket with Pete would be great, at least for me..
Quote Reply
Re: Any LR dems switch allegiance? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
My stance on Pete is that he has moved way up in the VP lottery. I like him and all, but feel he has the one of the worst chances against Trump in the general. A Biden/Bloomberg ticket with Pete would be great, at least for me..

Does that mean we would get a Pete v Pence debate? That could be fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Any LR dems switch allegiance? [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does that mean we would get a Pete v Pence debate? That could be fun. //

As long as Mother was in the room with him. I would suppose being in the same room with gays, would be the same as women for old Mikey...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I decide I really like one of them I guess it would be the same as changing allegiance because right now I am having a really hard time liking any of them enough to even admit it in public, never mind giving them money. I'm not sure if it is just that I have gotten old and crotchety or if these guys are not hitting the right spot. There are things about several of them I like, but too many things have been made centerpieces of the campaigns that just aren't pragmatic.

If the primary were today and I had 1.2 million votes I would have no idea who I would pick.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Any LR dems switch allegiance? [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fierceSun wrote:
Does that mean we would get a Pete v Pence debate? That could be fun.

There are two paths to a Pete v Pence debate, don't forget!

Though the path other requires Senate Republicans to get involved
Last edited by: timbasile: Nov 14, 19 12:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm blue no matter who. Trump is a criminal and a disgrace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the whole thought of switching allegiance to someone you are technically hiring to represent your views is a bit weird.

When did we go from these guys saying how they would work for us to them become personas who we back and support?

I will switch as I learn more and figure out who is going to represent me most. I might even support a few simultaneously.

I also am not really hearing anyone resonate a ton yet to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a moderate who has liked Pete for a while. However, I don't think he stands a shot at the Presidency (hope I am wrong)

1. He is short (5'8")
2. He can't court the african american vote

#1 is more of a historical context, #2 is critical for a D to beat Trump.
Quote Reply
Re: Any LR dems switch allegiance? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm ashamed to admit I haven't been following all the candidates super closely, being in MA it's not exactly going to be a defining place for the primaries. There are obviously pros and cons to everyone. Biden is experienced but flawed, Warren is great but might unfortunately suffer from whatever affliction people have that causes them to hate certain female candidates, Bernie is great but there's the age thing, like it or not. Pete seems likable from what I've seen, not sure if he has the experience needed (heck, Obama was a senator and state legislator and he was criticized for just being a community organizer). Now we've got Deval coming in, and I know from being in MA that even people here don't like him. Ultimately Warren may be the best of the bunch, I think, but I can already see the attacks going her way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm conservative, but the only D candidate that I like to listen to is Buttigieg. Its not about him being gay...its about him being Presidential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
I just contributed to the Buttigieg campaign after an initial donation to Biden.

In 2008, I could not imagine America being progressive enough to nominate a black man, until Obama swept the Iowa caucus and then the election.

Not wanting to be left behind again, is America ready for a moderate combat veteran who is also gay?

Started off as Yang gang all the way. The only state that has UBI is Alaska, and they love it. I thought that was a pretty good endorsement of his main campaign idea.

I'm now on to Buttigeig as well, but wouldn't mind Sanders as Warren if they actually win.
Quote Reply
Re: Any LR dems switch allegiance? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
I'm a moderate who has liked Pete for a while. However, I don't think he stands a shot at the Presidency (hope I am wrong)

1. He is short (5'8")
2. He can't court the african american vote

#1 is more of a historical context, #2 is critical for a D to beat Trump.

#1 is underrated unfortunately. This is a leadership contest after all. Never discount base instincts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

We can only hope. He will only get better as others falter. White America is ready. He will surprise in Iowa. His ascendancy will be rewarded with a most enthusiastic endorsement from Obama and then black americans will get onboard. Problem is that endorsement will only come after the convention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

The people who won't vote for Pete b/c he is gay are 99.5% not going to vote Dem anyway. The exception being the ?? about the minority vote.

I'm long on Pete financially.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Any LR dems switch allegiance? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

The people who won't vote for Pete b/c he is gay are 99.5% not going to vote Dem anyway. The exception being the ?? about the minority vote.

I'm long on Pete financially.

I think you are undervaluing the percentage of minority christians. You already have pastors (white and black) saying they can't support a gay man in the white house. In their estimation, it is unbiblical. We know socially conservative whites won't vote for Pete. I think his candidacy fractures the black vote. A very large percentage of that demographic is socially conservative and the church plays a pivotal role. I think the NYT had a piece on Pete's struggles courting the black vote in SC.

I'm not passing judgment on if this is right or wrong, I'm just commenting on what the data is saying. D's need to put forth their best candidate to beat Trump. And as we learned with Trump's electoral college strategy, sometimes you play the politics game and screw the rest.
Quote Reply