Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Shit, another school shooting right down the street from me... [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
gofigure wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

My middle schooler complained to me this morning that my generation (X) was the reason the earth is being destroyed by global warming. It makes me wonder if the news’ tendency to catastrophize everything is causing a failure of hope.

Bleeds will always lead. Bad events are not exaggerated, they are just broadcast to all. Our kids are subject to too much information and because they are kids, they are not equipped to handle. They need shelter from from the news of the world fallout just as my generation needed shelter from nuclear fallout.

I pretty much deprive my kids of all news— our tv is off unless we’re watching a movie. We listen to music in the car. So, my plan (I guess) is to talk about how they envision the future. What do they think is coming?

I did mention to my kids that every generation blames the previous one for screw-ups. To be fair, who else is to blame?

Maybe we need to take more hikes. Being on a dirt path can restore hope in ways that words can’t.

Not a "holier than thou" question but why? I understand the concept of wanting to shield them from what is bad in the world, however, what about teaching them the skills to deal with what is happening in the world. Personally, I believe the more information a person has the less likely they are to be scared of something and the more likely they are to be able to deal with it.
Its a tough world for the kids these days. They are bombarded with information we never had to deal with (as much as they do) so I think arming kids with the tools to deal with them early on is key.
Quote Reply
Re: Shit, another school shooting right down the street from me... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
gofigure wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

My middle schooler complained to me this morning that my generation (X) was the reason the earth is being destroyed by global warming. It makes me wonder if the news’ tendency to catastrophize everything is causing a failure of hope.

Bleeds will always lead. Bad events are not exaggerated, they are just broadcast to all. Our kids are subject to too much information and because they are kids, they are not equipped to handle. They need shelter from from the news of the world fallout just as my generation needed shelter from nuclear fallout.

I pretty much deprive my kids of all news— our tv is off unless we’re watching a movie. We listen to music in the car. So, my plan (I guess) is to talk about how they envision the future. What do they think is coming?

I did mention to my kids that every generation blames the previous one for screw-ups. To be fair, who else is to blame?

Maybe we need to take more hikes. Being on a dirt path can restore hope in ways that words can’t.

Not a "holier than thou" question but why? I understand the concept of wanting to shield them from what is bad in the world, however, what about teaching them the skills to deal with what is happening in the world. Personally, I believe the more information a person has the less likely they are to be scared of something and the more likely they are to be able to deal with it.
Its a tough world for the kids these days. They are bombarded with information we never had to deal with (as much as they do) so I think arming kids with the tools to deal with them early on is key.

I deprive them of news at home because I think tv is ugly. Seriously. I don’t like the visual or audio of it. I grew up in a house without tv, so I find it unpleasant.

Plus, we’re busy. They have homework, instruments to practice and books to read. Games to play. We get a few magazines. Subscribing to a newspaper would work for us. I will consider that.

I agree the unknown is scary. I also like tools. The mental ones as well as real ones. I’m a Maria Montessori kind of mama.
Quote Reply
Re: Shit, another school shooting right down the street from me... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
monty wrote:
My wife was watching the news, and just commented that we need to go live off the grid, and homeschool them until they enter the workforce.

The flip side to that is maybe living off the grid and home schooling will stop your kids from being a shooter. Something to think about.

I don’t know. We lived in the boonies for 2 years in Montana, and we had neighbors up the road who were living off the grid due to mistrust of society. That fear-based thinking might be a part of the problem rather than the solution.

OMG, THIS. 100%!!!!!!

Wonder what Ted Kaczynski's neighbors thought of him...?
Quote Reply
Re: Shit, another school shooting right down the street from me... [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
M~ wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
monty wrote:
My wife was watching the news, and just commented that we need to go live off the grid, and homeschool them until they enter the workforce.

The flip side to that is maybe living off the grid and home schooling will stop your kids from being a shooter. Something to think about.

I don’t know. We lived in the boonies for 2 years in Montana, and we had neighbors up the road who were living off the grid due to mistrust of society. That fear-based thinking might be a part of the problem rather than the solution.

OMG, THIS. 100%!!!!!!

Wonder what Ted Kaczynski's neighbors thought of him...?

probably why didn't he want to mail packages himself..asking if I was going into town all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Shit, another school shooting right down the street from me... [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

jesus, man. i mean this in all sincerity: why not leave? if i was having this kind of conversation with my kids with any kind of frequency we would all be packing suitcases.

Getting away from all the gun violence was a big reason for my wife and I leaving the US in 2014. We didn't want the kid growing up having to worry about all of that.

Hong Kong seemed like such a peaceful alternative...
Quote Reply
Re: Shit, another school shooting right down the street from me... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Just came up on the news, Saugus High school in Santa Clarita, which is where Dan and I swim every weekend. No details, just see a bunch of kids going out on stretchers, and they are saying male asian dressed in all black is a suspect, but still on the loose. I hate this shit...

https://www.cnn.com/...all-party/index.html

And another. It is maddening.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next