Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Deval Patrick: Come on Down!
Quote | Reply
Quote:
"I admire and respect the candidates in the Democratic field," he said in the video, but if the character of the candidates is an issue in every election, this time is about the character of the country."

"In a spirit of profound gratitude for all the country has given to me and with the determination to build a better, more sustainable, more inclusive American dream for the next generation, I am today announcing my candidacy for president of the United States."

Arguably one of the more humble candidacy announcements. I like it.
Quote Reply
Re: Deval Patrick: Come on Down! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how a relative unknown enters this late in the race and gets traction in time to matter (polling high enough to make subsequent debates, for one), though it would be interesting to see what President Obama does, with respect to endorsement, if these two are the last standing, given his close connections with both.

Edit to add: It makes sense if the end game were a Biden-Patrick ticket. Two Obama-supported candidates, established records, a safe choice in Biden to knock Trump off, while teeing up Patrick for a run in 2024. All the Dems really need is an energetic base turnout and an appeal to moderates and independents. This ticket checks all those boxes. I think that's the most plausible explanation for his late entry. It will be interesting to see how he talks about Biden as one of the front runners. If he doesn't come out firing at the top tier, Biden in particular, I'd take it as a pretty clear sign of that intention. It's a smart play if he has POTUS aspirations.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Nov 14, 19 6:03
Quote Reply
Re: Deval Patrick: Come on Down! [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a very good point about Biden/Patrick and continuity into the next election.

Re: Obama, I strongly suspect he won't endorse anyone until *after* the primaries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I'm not sure how a relative unknown enters this late in the race and gets traction in time to matter (polling high enough to make subsequent debates, for one)

He doesn't. He's too late to make any splash. Two super tuesday states filing deadlines have already passed!
Quote Reply
Re: Deval Patrick: Come on Down! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is not fit to be my President, remember why he wouldn't run?

" decided in December 2018 not to run for president, citing in a Facebook post the "cruelty of our elections process" and the impact it would have on those close to him."

Can you imagine this little baby having to face some real problems? I guess he could curl up in the corner with his blankey until they go away.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Deval Patrick: Come on Down! [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God forbid a man not put his own personal ambition above the peace and well being of his family.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
God forbid a man not put his own personal ambition above the peace and well being of his family.

What changed between his post and now? If anything, the process is crueler. I think you give this politician too much credit. He's no better than the rest of them. The time to put his big boy pants on was about 12 months ago. He has the hubris to believe that he is saving the donkeys by entering now. He doesn't have the $$$$ or recognition needed at this point to do anything but feed his ego.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really not giving him much credit at all, just suggesting that the number one cited reason a politician might be hesitant to run, or not seek reelection, or retire, might have some merit as an admirable motive.

Why did he change his mind now? I have no idea, but I'm not reflexively disqualifying him because of it. There's a fuckload of reasons why I wouldn't support a politician, but having early reservations about putting their family through the ringer isn't one of them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
sphere wrote:

What changed between his post and now? If anything, the process is crueler. I think you give this politician too much credit. He's no better than the rest of them. The time to put his big boy pants on was about 12 months ago. He has the hubris to believe that he is saving the donkeys by entering now. He doesn't have the $$$$ or recognition needed at this point to do anything but feed his ego.

One thing that has changed is that his wife had recently been diagnosed with cancer when he made his first statement. She is now reported to be healthy (or at least in remission). I can see that as a factor in deciding not to run in the first instance, and 'evolving' from that position over time.
Quote Reply
Re: Deval Patrick: Come on Down! [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
sphere wrote:

One thing that has changed is that his wife had recently been diagnosed with cancer when he made his first statement. She is now reported to be healthy (or at least in remission). I can see that as a factor in deciding not to run in the first instance, and 'evolving' from that position over time.

Thanks for posting. It does help answer the question why now?

Quote Reply