Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kids Being Recruited Into Shoplifting "Mobs" in Chicago
Quote | Reply
https://cwbchicago.com/...hoplifting-mobs.html

This is just very, very sad state of affairs. I don't know what the solution is. I have an uncle who works as a counselor in Cook County Jail and has worked as a volunteer for various community outreach programs for over thirty years. He's fostered eight kids personally (all from really bad family situations) and has mentored dozens if not over a hundred. He's hopeless at this point. As every year has ticked by I see he's become more and more disillusioned with the idea of any form of recovery or normalization for Chicago's dispossessed communities. I actually don't know what word to use there. Dispossessed isn't the right word. Chicago has had a very generous social safety net for a long time both from public and private resources. That doesn't seem to matter. It keeps stomachs full and bodies warm but it doesn't fix the fundamental problems of broken families.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Being Recruited Into Shoplifting "Mobs" in Chicago [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
https://cwbchicago.com/2019/11/kids-some-only-10-years-old-join-weekend-shoplifting-mobs.html

This is just very, very sad state of affairs. I don't know what the solution is.

Reassert sovereign immunity and let the cops beat the shit out of them? I mean Medicaid pays for the ER trip and all.
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Being Recruited Into Shoplifting "Mobs" in Chicago [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the difference between New York City and Chicago? Twenty years ago there were lots of places in New York City and Chicago I would feel very uncomfortable. Now almost everywhere in New York City seems okay. Chicago not. Chicago definitely seems to have lost the war on poverty and they have continued it longer than almost anybody.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Kids Being Recruited Into Shoplifting "Mobs" in Chicago [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
What is the difference between New York City and Chicago? Twenty years ago there were lots of places in New York City and Chicago I would feel very uncomfortable. Now almost everywhere in New York City seems okay. Chicago not. Chicago definitely seems to have lost the war on poverty and they have continued it longer than almost anybody.

Or a change in policing there that has not been done here??????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Kids Being Recruited Into Shoplifting "Mobs" in Chicago [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:

Great movie and my favorite version. The only good musical ever made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And, now, the California kids are getting on board...

https://www.foxnews.com/...ke-store-theft-merch

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Kids Being Recruited Into Shoplifting "Mobs" in Chicago [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
And, now, the California kids are getting on board...

https://www.foxnews.com/...ke-store-theft-merch

Greg

Not to be left out! Things always take a bit longer to become cool up here!

https://www.google.ca/...ith-shoplifters/amp/

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the these kids are so disillusioned and hopeless for any change in their status that brazen crimes do not have much down side. Even if they get caught, the non-existent penalties do nothing to dissuade them from more criminality. Each crime leads to more boldness and showing the others in the gang how bold you are gets more respect from the only people they can get it from.

Three weeks ago, an attractive girl I know went to Chicago with a group of about 10-12 other girls for a bachelorette party and wedding. After the usual drinking in a downtown bar, somehow this girl got separated from the group while everyone was splitting up into a few cabs. While waiting, she was snatched from the sidewalk and violently raped. She is engaged, but you can only imagine the devastating psychological impact this had on her. She isn't the same girl. That girl is probably gone forever.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply