Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [JourneyToGoPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should look into Polar Vantage V. I had a Garmin 920XT before (still have it now) and loved it. Since I switch over to Polar Vantage V, I never went back. It has built in heart rate monitor so I don't need to wear a separate one. This watch comes also with power meter which can assist you with running. Check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good points made already. Probably the most important reason to use the 935 is because you can buy a pack of luxury watch faces for a couple bucks. I’ve been wearing a Rolex Submariner face for a couple years and I always get a kick out of people noticing and acting impressed. They get a kick out of me explaining that it’s fake.

You can also make custom watch faces. Put my friend’s face on it once and slow played it. When he noticed a couple hours later that his face was on my watch, it was the hardest I’ve ever seen him laugh. It’s the simple things

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How reliable/durable is the barometric altimeter in the 935 or 945? I love my 920, but the altimeter recently crapped out like everyone else’s has. I can’t see shelling out 400-500 dollars for a new watch only to have that capability die in a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [Crash_Davis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did your altimeter crap out after a year or 5 years. The 920XT has been around forever. I think it took around 3 years for the altimeter on my 910XT to crap out. There probably isn't enough information yet about the 935 and definitely not about the 945. I have had my 945 since launch, and it is great. But I may not have my 945 in 3 years when the altimeter might decide to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tripped over a crack in the sidewalk, fell down, and cracked the face on my 920XT. It still works, but between the cracked face and Garmin no longer supporting the 920XT, I bought a new 935. The 920XT did everything I wanted, but the 935 really is better. The round/smaller/different looking screen isn't a problem. There are some whistles and bells on the 935 that you don't get with a 920XT and I don't use all of them (yet), but it has been a nice upgrade. As far as getting a 945, I don't listen to music while biking/running, so I didn't figure I needed to spend another $100 to have that capability.

Bottom line. I was happy with the 920XT and if Gamin still supported it and I could buy a new one for $100-$200 less than a 935 that's what I'd have done. But I'm glad I went with the 935.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lack of Bluetooth is my only gripe with my 920. My stages power meter won’t connect to it with ANT.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Did your altimeter crap out after a year or 5 years. The 920XT has been around forever. I think it took around 3 years for the altimeter on my 910XT to crap out. There probably isn't enough information yet about the 935 and definitely not about the 945. I have had my 945 since launch, and it is great. But I may not have my 945 in 3 years when the altimeter might decide to go.

Yes, this is a problem with the 920. It happened to two of them that I've had. I think the issue stems from using it in the pool or water a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 920xt for 5 years and the altimeter worked the whole time. Though the buttons just stopped working recently, but garmin is sending me a newly refurbished one as a replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's unfortunate that Garmin are withholding the Swim optical HR (update) from the 935 :/

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JourneyToGoPro wrote:
Chan wrote:
I'd argue the 935 is better only because the Optical HR. Yes I prefer a square face, but I find it's not terrible to get used to it.

Also I do think I'm the looks department the 935 is thinner than the 920.

The optical HR would be the only reason I would consider it and attempt to get used to the round face. I bought my wife a 735 so I'll probably try that out for a week just to see. Thus far though, I'm still holding out hope that Garmin comes to their senses and updates the 920 with an optical HR, longer battery, and thinner display.

I wouldn't get a 935 just for the Optical HR. Quite honestly optical HR is close to useless except when you are just walking around. I have a 935 and while working out optical HR just isn't close enough to actual HR. It sometimes differs by 20+.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

Yes, this is a problem with the 920. It happened to two of them that I've had. I think the issue stems from using it in the pool or water a lot.

Is there a way you can test altimeter? I'm asking you because I'm meeting a local seller to buy a used one. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
cestmoi wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

Is there a way you can test altimeter? I'm asking you because I'm meeting a local seller to buy a used one. Thanks.

Yes, you can. Go into the activity history, for a ride or run (outdoors) and look at the details of one workout. It will have "ascent" and "descent" values that look "normal." Each time my altimeter crapped out the values were pegged at 20,000ft, which is clearly incorrect unless you live in Nepal.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Garmin 920 the perfect watch? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I had a 920xt for 5 years and the altimeter worked the whole time. Though the buttons just stopped working recently, but garmin is sending me a newly refurbished one as a replacement.
My wife and I have about 3 years each on our 920xt and we both bought them used. They work flawlessly 100% of the time. I use my Suunto for running now but honestly, the Suunto falls short in a ton of categories specifically related to multisport. I wouldn't have a problem continuing to use them for years from now, it does everything I need it to. In my limited experience with multisport watches, it seems pretty near perfect to me.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply

Prev Next