Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [K_Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My event turned out to be a marginal success. It was not a profitable venture this time around, but I think I can change that next year. Rumor has it Iā€™ll be able to get my event listed on UIPMā€™s Global Laser-Run City Tour in 2020, which should help with the marketing.

I had about 45 registered participants who competed in a wide range of USATF- and USA-Pentathlon-sanctioned sprint and distance races. The first Laser-Run event was a 2 x 400 relay. There were 12 teams (24 people), which was a full capacity heat. Here is a link to some videos from the race:

https://www.youtube.com/...U9df0jXNdJJ71-Zv5bRH

I remain convinced that Laser-Run is a compelling sport that appeals to athletes of all ages. The fact that it will be featured at the end of the Modern Pentathlon event at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games is something to look forward to!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

It's been a year and a half since I made this post about the sub-sports of Modern Pentathlon and the 2019 UIPM Biathle / Triathle World Championships. A lot has happened since then. I feel compelled to post this update!

As I mentioned previously in this thread, I directed my first Modern-Pentathlon-related event in November 2019 -- a combination of a USATF-sanctioned track meet and a USA-Modern-Pentathlon-sanctioned laser-run. It was a marginal success, drawing 45 participants.

Then the pandemic happened, which made it impossible to put on any additional live events. I did manage to put together a virtual laser-run event in 2020, which drew 35 participants, including some U.S. Modern Pentathletes who competed in the U.S. Olympic qualifiers. You can see the results, photos, and videos from my laser-run on my dedicated event web site: https://dashnzap.com/.

As the pandemic restrictions started to lift in California, I was finally able put together my first full Modern Pentathlon event last Sunday in Palo Alto, CA. We had 35 participants, all of whom automatically qualified for the U.S. Modern Pentathlon National Championships, which will be held on May 21-23 in Roswell, NM.

See the results here:

https://wolfpackpentathlon.com/regional/

Kira Bardin, who won the Juniors, U19, U17, and U15 divisions of this regional event posted this video of what the competition was like for her:

Six of my club members will be competing at the National Championships, including me. We will cover the spectrum of age groups from U11, U15, Seniors (21+), Masters 50+, and Masters 60+. You are never too old or too young for this sport!

It has been really fun getting involved in this sport and helping to make it grow.

As a (former?) triathlete myself, I believe many triathletes could easily and naturally transition into this sport!

K_Man
Last edited by: K_Man: May 15, 21 20:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds way more fun than triathlon. However, if we can swim, bike, shoot, would be even better (for me, I hate running). Basically biathlon but summer-style. Hope to try it out one day!

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe something like this? I think combo events would be great.

Ps Top Secret is a great movie, if you like Naked Gun style humor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m not sure about anyone else, but the sport of ā€œLaser Runā€ sounds to me like it came from the set of ā€œMost Extreme Elimination Challengeā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
K_Man wrote:
Hi all,

It's been a year and a half since I made this post about the sub-sports of Modern Pentathlon and the 2019 UIPM Biathle / Triathle World Championships. A lot has happened since then. I feel compelled to post this update!

As I mentioned previously in this thread, I directed my first Modern-Pentathlon-related event in November 2019 -- a combination of a USATF-sanctioned track meet and a USA-Modern-Pentathlon-sanctioned laser-run. It was a marginal success, drawing 45 participants.

Then the pandemic happened, which made it impossible to put on any additional live events. I did manage to put together a virtual laser-run event in 2020, which drew 35 participants, including some U.S. Modern Pentathletes who competed in the U.S. Olympic qualifiers. You can see the results, photos, and videos from my laser-run on my dedicated event web site: https://dashnzap.com/.

As the pandemic restrictions started to lift in California, I was finally able put together my first full Modern Pentathlon event last Sunday in Palo Alto, CA. We had 35 participants, all of whom automatically qualified for the U.S. Modern Pentathlon National Championships, which will be held on May 21-23 in Roswell, NM.

See the results here:

https://wolfpackpentathlon.com/regional/

Kira Bardin, who won the Juniors, U19, U17, and U15 divisions of this regional event posted this video of what the competition was like for her:

Six of my club members will be competing at the National Championships, including me. We will cover the spectrum of age groups from U11, U15, Seniors (21+), Masters 50+, and Masters 60+. You are never too old or too young for this sport!

It has been really fun getting involved in this sport and helping to make it grow.

As a (former?) triathlete myself, I believe many triathletes could easily and naturally transition into this sport!

K_Man

Very natural, as Triathlon has become so elitist and expensive that instead of a super bike and race entries, one might as well just own a horse or two.
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in the good old Vietnam draft days my lottery number was old #5. I joined ROTC so I could stay in college. I qualified for Army Triathlon school but ended up flunking my Army physical because of childhood asthma. I submitted my 500 and 1,000, and 1,650 swim times from the past season and had to run a 2 mile time trial on the track. I was under 10 min by a tad or so I think.
With those two base sports they gave you one year to get your shooting up to speed, then they would develop your horse and fencing skills over your career. It seems with shooting you can either be world class in a fairly short period or you just don't have it. It takes years to develop college speed in the pool , equestrian and fencing. Another road un followed.
Anyway my idea back in the early 80s was to have the Worlds Fastest Triathlon. 50 meters in the pool. Go to the track venue 100meters out of blocks. Then a flying 200m on the velodrome. Interesting how a second or a few 10ths makes a big difference.
Or the "long form" triathlon. 100m in the pool, 400m on the track and a timed kilo straight out on a road. The best part of this format is that you could have the local swim team, runners club and bike club do all the venue and timing and you could hold the race on Friday of a Sunday Triathlon weekend. That way you would already have all the competitors you could handle and it would give the triathletes another event on a long travel weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

Very natural, as Triathlon has become so elitist and expensive that instead of a super bike and race entries, one might as well just own a horse or two.

Haha. Well, you don't have to own a horse to compete in Modern Pentathlon. In fact, one of the most interesting aspects of the sport is you compete on an unfamiliar horse. You get 20 minutes to mount, warmup, and do up to five practice jumps. Then you have about 60 seconds to complete a course. At the international level, the course is usually 12 obstacles with bars set at one meter in height. This creates a lot of drama, especially at international events, such as the World Championships, World Cup events, and the Olympics.

However, your point is taken in that the cost of taking horse jumping lessons is quite expensive. I'm currently spending $600+ per month for coached lessons 2-3 times per week. I cancelled my gym membership to make up for some of it.
Last edited by: K_Man: May 16, 21 16:48
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Back in the good old Vietnam draft days my lottery number was old #5. I joined ROTC so I could stay in college. I qualified for Army Triathlon school but ended up flunking my Army physical because of childhood asthma. I submitted my 500 and 1,000, and 1,650 swim times from the past season and had to run a 2 mile time trial on the track. I was under 10 min by a tad or so I think.
With those two base sports they gave you one year to get your shooting up to speed, then they would develop your horse and fencing skills over your career. It seems with shooting you can either be world class in a fairly short period or you just don't have it. It takes years to develop college speed in the pool , equestrian and fencing. Another road un followed.
Anyway my idea back in the early 80s was to have the Worlds Fastest Triathlon. 50 meters in the pool. Go to the track venue 100meters out of blocks. Then a flying 200m on the velodrome. Interesting how a second or a few 10ths makes a big difference.
Or the "long form" triathlon. 100m in the pool, 400m on the track and a timed kilo straight out on a road. The best part of this format is that you could have the local swim team, runners club and bike club do all the venue and timing and you could hold the race on Friday of a Sunday Triathlon weekend. That way you would already have all the competitors you could handle and it would give the triathletes another event on a long travel weekend.

I love the idea of super sprint distances in triathlon. In fact, part of the reason why I became totally hooked on Modern Pentathlon is my best running distances have always been middle distances. It just so happens the Modern Pentathlon race distance is 3200 meters (actually, a broken 4 x 800 with shooting in between). And, for masters, the distance is 2400 meters (3 x 800).

I also love the idea of piggybacking off of existing races. I'm currently speaking to a race organizer in Santa Cruz, CA, who holds three aquathlon / triathlon events each year about integrating an exhibition Biathle / Triathle race into one of her events. I can't think of a better way to expose people to these Modern Pentathlon sub-sports. Biathle is really just a run-swim-run aquathlon with slightly shorter distances than a typical aquathlon. Triathle adds the shooting skill component, which gives opportunities for slower athletes who are better marksmen to do well.

You can still go down the road. I started getting involved in the sport at 49, having never done horse jumping or fencing before then. It took me one year to achieve minimum competency in horse jumping to be able to compete in the 2021 Olympic selection event. In other words, I went from no experience to the highest levels of the sport in the U.S. in less than two years and at the age of 51.
Last edited by: K_Man: May 16, 21 16:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, I am 69. Me thinks I am a little late to be doing stadiums. I worry about getting bucked off my road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: "Modern Triathlon" -- yes, it's a thing [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Dude, I am 69. Me thinks I am a little late to be doing stadiums. I worry about getting bucked off my road bike.

I am guessing you would have a pretty good chance of winning the masters 70+ division at the next masters world championships. You could compete in tetrathlon if you are worried about the riding. šŸ˜
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, along with some of my Wolfpack Pentathlon Club members, just competed at the 2021 USA Modern Pentathlon National Championships, which were held on May 21-23 at the New Mexico Military Institute (NMMI) in Roswell, NM.

Check out our recap here:

https://wolfpackpentathlon.com/...ional-championships/

I think many of the multi-sport athletes on this forum would find this sport to be interesting.

K_Man
Quote Reply

Prev Next