Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: All Things UCAN + Hear How TO Uses It [cscameron82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely. I typically do ~240 calories per bottle (2 servings) during training since that consistency is nicest for my palate. During racing I go up to 4 servings (480c in a bottle) and it's pretty thick but helpful since it's a smaller amount of fluid to carry around (fewer cages needed and less weight). I've heard of others going as high as 7 servings of UCAN in one bottle (840c) but I haven't gone that high myself.

Matthew J Bach
Director - Triathlon Business
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Quote Reply
Re: All Things UCAN + Hear How TO Uses It [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben, cool backstory! Small world and it doesn't surprise me we may have interacted :-). I believe I was with Thad Beaty, singer for Sugarland, triathlon coach and UCAN fan, and with Nicole, his fellow coach. I remember having that brief conversation with you.

Sounds good about revisiting UCAN and your experimentation with combination. Happy to help troubleshoot or offer suggestions as you put together your nutrition puzzle.

Matthew J Bach
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Quote Reply
Re: All Things UCAN + Hear How TO Uses It [IronMattBach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronMattBach wrote:
UCAN works really well and is quite big in the Ultra community for the exact reasons you cite.

The consistency is thinner or really thick or anywhere in between depending on how concentrated you mix it. Even at 2 servings per 20oz it’s thick enough that I wouldn’t suggest using a hydration bladder. "

Hey, hey -- I'vew been using UCAN for about five years, mostly for long distance tris. And even in a bike bottle as part of my nutrition in an ultra. But since I bought one of those ultra vests with the little bottles that you just squeeze , I wonder whether UCAN is too thick for those bottles ... have you heard of any ultra runners using it successfully in those bottles. (I guess I just experiment, huh?)

(FY: For Ironman, I blend UCAN with kale, blueberries, coconut milk, water, protein powder and some electrolytes. No stomach issues, no bonking in dozens of races and training outings.)
Quote Reply
Re: All Things UCAN + Hear How TO Uses It [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not entirely sure what bottles you're talking about, but as long as you can remove them and give them a shake, it shouldn't be a problem. I use the gel flasks that are small, have a small nozzle and are only about 6oz and they work well. Please let me know what you learn!

That's a wild concoction!

Matthew J Bach
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Matt,

Having great success with the UCAN, but I have another question.

I have a 16 mile hilly fell run this weekend - what would be a good strategy (the run will be around 3 to 4 hours)?

My thoughts are 1 serving 30 minutes before the start then 1 bottle with 2 more servings in it to drink at hour 1 and hour 2 and then an electrolyte mix to sip on and a few emergency gels.

Thanks,

Pat.
Quote Reply
Re: All Things UCAN + Hear How TO Uses It [Avoneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat, good to hear from you and glad to hear you're having great success with UCAN!

Your approach looks great - one thing I might suggest is having 2 servings prior instead of 1. Since UCAN releases steadily over the course of well over three hours, what you take prior to the run will still be helping you later in the run. That way you don't have to carry as much with you, or can carry more hydration-type fluid (maybe that's UCAN Hydrate, or maybe something else). Not sure where you live, but if you feel you might need some extra electrolytes, you can consider adding salt or UCAN Hydrate sticks into your UCAN SuperStarch drinks. I like that you're planning to carry a few emergency gels too - I also recommend that while people are experimenting with UCAN. The last thing I want is for you to have bonked 8 miles from home and you're cursing me! :-)

Would love to hear how it goes and can help you tweak the approach based on feedback. Have fun!

Matthew J Bach
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronMattBach wrote:
Some do experience a bit of a transition but it’s typically only a week or two for your body to make the adjustment.

Will this transition period also lead to the elimination of the toxic flatulence I experienced after my first two servings this prior weekend? It was BAD. Like, my dog fled the pain cave bad.

Additionally, will eating any solids on the bike diminish or negate the effectiveness of UCAN? I'm not a doctor, but my understanding of the digestive system is liquids will pass the stomach to be absorbed in the upper intestine, however solids will be stopped within the stomach for digestion before entering the upper intestine.

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Quote Reply
Re: All Things UCAN + Hear How TO Uses It [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, happy to help with this! Some of those who use UCAN experience gas, but it's likely solvable. What flavors did you use, and did all the various flavors cause the same gas issue? The reason I ask is because the different flavors have different sweeteners and some of them can cause gas while others won't (depending on the person). Orange and Vanilla are naturally sweetened with monkfruit extract. Lemon and Cran-Raz are naturally sweetened by stevia extract. Chocolate is artificially sweetened with sucralose (but that will be phased out in favor of a natural sweetener soon). Try the various flavors and see if it happens with one sweetener but not another. If it happens with all, then try the Pure SuperStarch that has no flavoring in it. That solves it for nearly everyone. Note that by itself it doesn't taste great; it's like chalky water. Most find something to mix it with that adds flavor (but that won't cause the gas) and maybe adds electrolytes too.

Many of our users also eat solids with their UCAN Performance Energy drinks. One main reason is because they want to "chew" something after being out there training or racing for so long. I use the UCAN Bars out on training rides. I prefer straight fluid nutrition during racing since it is easier to digest. UCAN Performance Energy has extremely low osmolality, which means that it will clear the stomach very quickly which often solves issues like bloating, sloshing and bellyaches.
Hope this helps!

Matthew J Bach
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Matt. I used orange, cran-raz, and vanilla each once. Hopefully my system will adapt, but if it doesn't, I can turn a negative into a positive...it's unlikely anyone will be drafting off me for very long.

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Last edited by: weakandpuny: Feb 11, 20 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: All Things UCAN + Hear How TO Uses It [weakandpuny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd definitely suggest the plain then, since you've tried products with both of our natural sweeteners (stevia and monkfruit extract). Unless you want to keep this "side effect" to fend off the competition!

Matthew J Bach
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, for IM distance where I do not want to stop to reload bottles, what do you recommend in getting nutrition via UCAN and hydration via an alternate source? I assume I can't mix hydration tabs & UCAN into the same bottle?
Quote Reply
Re: All Things UCAN + Hear How TO Uses It [Fresh79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can actually. Lots of people, including myself, enhance their UCAN drinks with electrolytes. There are several ways to do it...
1.) Plain UCAN SuperStarch (your fuel) + your favorite flavor of UCAN Hydrate (electrolytes, zero sugar, zero calories)
2.) Your fav flavor of UCAN Performance Energy (your fuel) + UCAN Hydrate (pick a combo where flavors don't clash)
3.) UCAN Performance Energy + other electrolytes (whether that be BASE salt, SaltStick capsules opened into your UCAN drinks, Himalayan Pink Sea Salt, or whatever you like)

As far as competing in IM while not wanting to stop to reload bottles - I've never had an athlete who has needed to do that since the bottles can be pre-mixed and heavily concentrated if needed to limit the number of bottles needed. Also, note that a little bit goes a long way with UCAN, so you don't need to consume, and therefore carry, nearly as much. Most sports nutrition requires ~300c/hr to maintain energy levels, but with UCAN it's typically 80-150c/hr to optimally fuel. Here is what I do for IM:

Meal when I wake up
2 servings Performance Energy 45min prior to cannon
1 - 1 1/4 servings per hour Performance Energy on the bike (2 bottles with 3 servings in each bottle)
Gel flask with 1 serving of Performance Energy on the run (early on)
Switch to high glycemic carb of my choice during the second half of the run

You have the flexibility to create a "sludge" bottle with UCAN since no concentration is "wrong." You can make it smooth and dilute at 1 serving per 20oz, do 3-4 servings max like me, or go up to 7 (I spoke with an athlete who did that but it's really really thick at that point! like a gel)

If you plan on being out there for 13-17 hours, you might want to consider having extra pre-made bottles (maybe frozen the night before) stashed in your bike special needs.

I hope this helps!

Matthew J Bach
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronMattBach wrote:
You can actually. Lots of people, including myself, enhance their UCAN drinks with electrolytes. There are several ways to do it...
1.) Plain UCAN SuperStarch (your fuel) + your favorite flavor of UCAN Hydrate (electrolytes, zero sugar, zero calories)
2.) Your fav flavor of UCAN Performance Energy (your fuel) + UCAN Hydrate (pick a combo where flavors don't clash)
3.) UCAN Performance Energy + other electrolytes (whether that be BASE salt, SaltStick capsules opened into your UCAN drinks, Himalayan Pink Sea Salt, or whatever you like)

Thanks for that, good advice. I will try out the hydro mix. In terms of fuel, do you recommend combining both the starch and the performance energy product on the bike, or just using one type of fuel?
Quote Reply
Re: All Things UCAN + Hear How TO Uses It [Fresh79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Performance Energy is the starch (SuperStarch) plus some electrolytes and natural flavors. SuperStarch is the underlying carbohydrate for all of our products (except UCAN Hydrate which is purely electrolytes and natural flavors)

Matthew J Bach
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Matt,

Just a quick update.

I "pre-loaded" 20 minutes before my hilly 16 mile run as suggested with two servings of UCAN and carried with me nothing but and electrolyte drink for hydration (and a couple of emergency gels).

It's weird as I didn't feel "full" after two servings, in fact, didn't really feel anything, but I guess that's kind of the point.

3 and a half hours later through some mentally hilly terrain (in the dark), I got to the end.

I just sipped my electrolyte drink throughout the run and at no point did I feel hungry or the need for carbs - something I've never experienced before.

And, the worse part of it..... I always have a McDonalds after any race or long training run I do - always have, but this time, no McDonalds for me - I just wasn't hungry - most unlike me!

Not sure what else to say.

UCAN is so simple and does what it says on the tin!

Keep up the good work,

Pat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronMattBach wrote:
The Performance Energy is the starch (SuperStarch) plus some electrolytes and natural flavors. SuperStarch is the underlying carbohydrate for all of our products (except UCAN Hydrate which is purely electrolytes and natural flavors)

Matt, are there any trial offers or discount codes available? I would like to give it a try. I listened to Shoba’s interview with Bob Babbitt this morning, very interesting how the company started.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: All Things UCAN + Hear How TO Uses It [Avoneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat, Great to hear you had a solid first UCAN experience! Yep, the lack of "fullness" comes from the fact that it clears the stomach so fast (low osmolality).
Regarding the lack of intense hunger after your workout - sorry to kill your Mickey D's craving! Ha. Since your blood sugar isn't dropping to low levels (SuperStarch keeps you steadier without "bottoming out"), your body doesn't trigger your hunger urge in such a big way allowing you to make smarter recovery decisions. Still important to eat, it just doesn't have to be McDonald's or that cold pizza from last night.

Note we just recently launched our subscription program, if you are interested. The convenience of not having to reorder (just shows up at your door), 10% off on every order, free shipping, and you may get sneak peaks into upcoming product launches ;-)

Welcome to the UCAN Family!

Matthew J Bach
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Last edited by: IronMattBach: Feb 24, 20 4:17
Quote Reply
Re: All Things UCAN + Hear How TO Uses It [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to hear from you Jack; I also listened to the interview with Shoba already - she's quite the engaging and impressive woman, and I agree, the story of how the company UCAN came about is fascinating. I love working for a company that has "noble origins." Here is a code for 25% off our Tri Starter Pack, a sampling of our various formats and flavors. You can use this link to reach it since it isn't being publicly promoted on our site: https://www.generationucan.com/...starter-pack-25-off/

If you have any questions, or run into any issues. I'm here to help (I can solve 90% of them)

Matthew J Bach
The UCAN Company
matthew.bach@ucanco.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

“As far as competing in IM while not wanting to stop to reload bottles - I've never had an athlete who has needed to do that since the bottles can be pre-mixed and heavily concentrated if needed to limit the number of bottles needed. Also, note that a little bit goes a long way with UCAN, so you don't need to consume, and therefore carry, nearly as much. Most sports nutrition requires ~300c/hr to maintain energy levels, but with UCAN it's typically 80-150c/hr to optimally fuel. Here is what I do for IM:

Meal when I wake up
2 servings Performance Energy 45min prior to cannon
1 - 1 1/4 servings per hour Performance Energy on the bike (2 bottles with 3 servings in each bottle)
Gel flask with 1 serving of Performance Energy on the run (early on)
Switch to high glycemic carb of my choice during the second half of the run”

I love the idea of this fueling strategy. Seems really simple and less bottles (weight) to have to carry. It just does not seem like enough? I’m used to fueling with 270-300 calories and 65-75 carbs/hr. How do you keep fueled and energy up on, as you described, ~100 calories and 30 carbs/hr? Is it the slow release that allows you to be able to do this?

Thanks! And more questions to come! I just ordered the starter pack you linked to above!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had been having some stomach inflammation problems so switched to a lower carb paleo diet and started using UCAN. After a few weeks I have to say it is amazing. Had just a bar and one serving of drink before Cross Country ski half marathon and a bunch of 2 hour plus cross country ski workouts and I have not needed anything else during the workouts. Also combo of the diet switch and not needing something sugary and carb-ey before every workout and a many gels or bars during long workouts which upset my stomach has got me feeling overall great. I'm recovering from workouts better and I no longer have the stomach issues I had been having. Before I had to have a jolt of something sugary like a waffle bar or a gel before I could work out. I got very very dependent on constant supply of carbs all day. Changed it up in just a few weeks. Thanks! Now I will have to figure out how to fuel some of the longer stuff I have coming up later in the season like some 70.3's and the workouts that I'll need to prepare for those. I also really like the zero calorie hydration mix for one hour workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Matt,
I actually ride through Summit quiet regularly when coming out of or going into Watchung Reservation. Hoping to see you out there one day when the little ones and your (still) new job allow you to get out.

Anyhow, I am a low carb athlete and still haven't found the perfect nutrition solution for long efforts.
Would love to give Ucan a try. Any updated coupons?

Thx.
Mick

IronMattBach wrote:
Great to hear from you Jack; I also listened to the interview with Shoba already - she's quite the engaging and impressive woman, and I agree, the story of how the company UCAN came about is fascinating. I love working for a company that has "noble origins." Here is a code for 25% off our Tri Starter Pack, a sampling of our various formats and flavors. You can use this link to reach it since it isn't being publicly promoted on our site: https://www.generationucan.com/...starter-pack-25-off/

If you have any questions, or run into any issues. I'm here to help (I can solve 90% of them)
Quote Reply

Prev Next