Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rim tape, perfect for latex tubes and tubeless
Quote | Reply
Scotch (3M) 8896 strapping tape, 12 mm wide x 55 meters. One roll is enough for 12 wheels, double wrapped. 12 mm is perfect to seal the full bed without causing interference for mounting tires- see attached picture.
8896 is the same tape as 8898 with an improved adhesive which leaves no residue when you remove, meaning no clean up mess!
6 rolls for $ 22- includes shipping to continental US addresses, or $ 5.00 per roll plus shipping (about $ 4)
Message with any questions
Quote Reply
Re: Rim tape, perfect for latex tubes and tubeless [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any issues with this absorbing sealant like the gorilla tape?
Quote Reply
Re: Rim tape, perfect for latex tubes and tubeless [nublar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not tried this with tubeless, so do not have personal experience, but there are a lot of reviews on using 8898 and 8896 as a tubeless rim tape, and all of them are very positive. The 8896 is the same tape as 8898 with a better adhesive. Better because it is equal in adhesion, but leaves no residue when removed. (It is a bit more expensive). I cannot tell the difference between this, and what Princeton Carbon Works supplied with my wheels for a tubeless set up- except it is a lot less expensive :-)
One important note- you get your best result with 2 wraps, and press out any bubbles with your thumb as you apply. I initially used 24mm, but that comes all the way up and slightly under the rim bead, which makes mounting and removing tires a bit tougher. I love the 12mm, it has been perfect.

bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1125457-scotch-8898-non-filament-strapping-tape-rim-tape.html

From eBay:
Get more for less.
This rim tape, (Scotch 8896) which is tensilized polypropylene with a pressure sensitive adhesive, is the same exact stuff as several "bike branded" products for a fraction of the price. Be sure to clean your rims with alcohol before applying.
Great stuff
Works just as good as stans tape! If not better. Less than half the price of stans tape. I didn't see a negative so far.
Perfect for tubeless tire setup.
This is way better than the repair tape that is popular for tubeless setups. Sticks great to the rim with no residue if you have to pull it off, and no fibrous edges for dried sealant to stick to. Applies easily, sealed my XC wheels on the first try, and enough tape to do several wheelsets.
best tubeless rim tape I have used.
I have used several tubeless rim tapes and this one works the best for the least $. Really good.
Quote Reply