Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chinese carbon frame
Quote | Reply
Thinking of finally building that Charbon bike I’ve beeb waffling on for years. Any recommendations on which company to use? I think a while ago someone mentioned one that was cheaper than they others and used a more
Basic but still great frame. Tried searching for it but couldn’t find it.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese carbon frame [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have built a few Chinese frames. The best one I've used is DengFu R02.. I don't have it any more but I know the person who does and he still rides it hard and loves it. The only one I've had a problem with is a Yoeleo frame. The bottom bracket shell was crooked in the frame. I had built a couple others of theirs with no problem. I contacted them and they sent me a replacement. Told me to keep the frame. I still have it but it's pretty much useless. I want to try my hand at painting frames sometime so I'm just holding onto it for that purpose.

I am not a fan of the Chinese copies of other brands. But a friend has a Chinese "Bianchi" with Chinese "FFWD" wheels. I'm honestly impressed with it. I helped him build it and it went together nicely. It's too small for me so I have only really ridden it around the block, but he has put a lot of miles on it and there is no issue with the frame or the wheels. I've never ridden a real XR4 so I can't compare them. But honestly aside from this being a knockoff it's a fine bike. I'm not encouraging anyone to buy a knockoff though.

The one thing I'd suggest though is if you go with a Chinese carbon frame, go with a rim brake version. I have seen more than a couple disc forks fail under heavy braking.
Last edited by: chadtrent: Sep 26, 19 5:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a second hand Deng Fun road frame (not sure the model) as my daily rider. It creaks when standing up, but that's probably from hitting the side of a van a few months ago. Otherwise, it works great!

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a chinese gravel frame as an all around bike and right now I've got complete confidence that it'll be a quality bike.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't built one, but I spent a lot of time looking at geometries before I built my p3sl. Most are more of the short tall variety than the long low types of triathlon geometries.

That's not good or bad until you try and put your fit onto the wrong style frame. I'm a long/low type... So, there weren't very many to choose from.

Also watch out for road bikes that look like tri bikes. Ie, slack seat tubs and steep head tubes instead of the other way round.

Its also helpful to have a good idea of what your front end is going to be. Anything that has limited stem choices is going to have a big impact on frame choice.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Sep 26, 19 6:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the same thread, does anybody have recommendations for wheels? I've been looking around on DHGate, and some have better reviews than others, but nothing in depth.
Keeping an eye on the used market here and FB as well, but if push comes to shove, I'll likely order Chinese online. Looking for 40-60mm carbon wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've built up more than a few Aliexpress carbon frames. When it comes to TT frames, they tend to be on the more expensive end (compared to road frames). A friend recently asked me to get an Aliexpress TT frame for him, but I steered him towards a used Cervelo P3 frame (first generation) as they can be picked up relatively inexpensively now (we paid ~$400usd) and are likely still a faster frame than Aliexpress options. I also don't like some of the funky brake and front end options on those frames (...they'll likely cause several headaches).
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese carbon frame [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vijeet88 wrote:
In the same thread, does anybody have recommendations for wheels? I've been looking around on DHGate, and some have better reviews than others, but nothing in depth.
Keeping an eye on the used market here and FB as well, but if push comes to shove, I'll likely order Chinese online. Looking for 40-60mm carbon wheels.

I ride Far Sports 50mm carbon wheels. I am heavy, and I am not nice to wheels (not intentional) and they take everything I can throw at them. I had intended them to be my "race" wheels and switch back out to aluminum wheels for everyday riding. But they keep rolling nice and true so I don't bother switching.

I have a friend who rides some generic Aliexpress "FFWD" clone wheels with the Powerway hubs. He has probably 3000 miles on them. I put them on my truing stand a few weeks ago and they didn't need any truing. Again, I don't advocate buying copy wheels. but they are nice.

I remember at a crit race a while back a whole team was on Yoeleo wheels. I asked their mechanic about them and he said they have been as good as any other wheel. I do recommend buying from an established company like Far Spors or Yoeleo instead of just some random seller on Aliexpress or DHGate. At least then if something goes wrong you have a chance of getting some customer service.

I would be rolling around on Zipps or something like that if I could afford them, but I can't. I took a chance on carbon wheels and I have not been disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no interest in a Chinese bike these days although I've read they've been mostly reliable for many years now.
This frame is so crazy looking I thought some would be entertained.
Gotta at least give them credit for originality; looks like an electric/downhill/tri bike.
The upper frame hole would have been better are a storage box/bladder though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/...3.0.0.29bd13d2ViI11e

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vijeet88 wrote:

I bought a pair of these last year and have been pretty impressed:

https://www.amazon.com/...ant-items&sr=1-5

I have owned numerous higher-end wheelsets over the years ( zipp, hed, mavic) and have been just as happy with these. Smooth and quiet, and these are one of the only 25mm-wide wheelsets I came across. Came with brake pads, extra spokes and tool and skewers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If i was looking for Chinese carbon wheels I'd be looking at carbon speed cycle on their website or Ebay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of frame are you looking for (TT, road, gravel?) and is there a specific model that has caught your attention? Price point?

It's easy to get lost in the sea of choice, but I might be able to help if you give a little more info.

I always recommend to my friends that there are some really good deals to be had on the used market (eg.I've been watching a cervelo C3 frame sitting on the used market for weeks at $750cad) for not much more than an aliexpress special.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently gave these wheels a try. Shitty part is that they have not arrived yet, so I do not have an actual review about them yet. But I am excited to try them out. You can order them with actual Sapim CX ray spokes, and ceramic hubs (which I did both).

As far as frames go.... I don't have experience with Chinese frames, however, does anyone have experience with the Velovie frames?

- Jordan

My Strava
Last edited by: Masnart: Dec 12, 19 6:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had really good look with DengFu frames. Owned a couple. Know others that have owned some too. FM098 was the aero bike. FM66(i believe that was it) was the light weight climbing bike that i built and still ride 7 years later has been great. Built up a FM086 TT bike too. It was good, the fit just wasnt great for me. Rode Dengfu wheels at IM Tahoe, Wildflower and lots of training. Never once instantaneously caught on fire or exploded believe it or not. I dont even know if they make those frames anymore. I might even have access to a couple of frames still, depending on what you are interested in. If you do order one from them, just be prepared, you will have LOTS of back and forth and mis communication (language issues) before you feel good about it. Everything is negotiable too, or better yet find someone who already orders from them and get in on their group order.
Like I said, have owned and ridden lots of them. All were great and seemed safe. Lots of hilly miles on some of them. I dont know why, never once had a problem with anything, but for some reason now being older and having a family, i would be a little hesitant to use the wheels again. Again, not really sure why. But i still ride the frames all the time.
Quote Reply