Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will a treadmill fit?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to possibly purchase my first treadmill to get me through my winter running. However I'm concerned about the ceiling height in my house.We are in the process of redoing an old home built in 1920 the ceilings aren't very high. Does anyone know roughly how much headroom I need and does anyone make I guess for lack of better terms a low profile treadmill or one with a low deck?
Quote Reply
Re: Will a treadmill fit? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how many inches from floor to ceiling is your space

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And how tall are you?
Quote Reply
Re: Will a treadmill fit? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5-11 and best case scenario maybe have 90 inches from floor to ceiling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I'm 5-11 and best case scenario maybe have 90 inches from floor to ceiling

If this is the case, I'd think you'd be ok. I find that I don't get as 'vertical' when running on my treadmill as I do when outside. I think that most treadmills have a deck hight in the 6-8" range, so if you are around 6' that would put you standing on a treadmill at around 80 inches or so with shoes on. Even at a decent incline you should still be ok.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grab some dimensions off the websites of the treadmill brands you're looking at and try and find something with a low deck.

You could also grab a few cinderblocks and some wood to simulate the height and see if you feel claustrophobic.

If you want to go extreme, you could always remove some of the ceiling drywall between the joists
Quote Reply
Re: Will a treadmill fit? [Benyak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benyak wrote:
Grab some dimensions off the websites of the treadmill brands you're looking at and try and find something with a low deck.

You could also grab a few cinderblocks and some wood to simulate the height and see if you feel claustrophobic.

If you want to go extreme, you could always remove some of the ceiling drywall between the joists

I was wondering about doing that in the basement accept removing chunks of joist so that I would have better head room down there I'm assuming I could have someone come in and tell me what I need to do to shore up the joists in other ways by butting them up once I remove part of them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would refrain from removing pieces that literally support the floor above your head to make room for a treadmill.

It'd be easier to remove the floor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my treadmill in an upstairs bedroom that has a sloped roof. I've got 89-1/2" ceiling height at the front of the treadmill, 85-1/2" about where I run and 82-1/2" at the rear of the treadmill. I'm 6' 0" tall and no problem at all with ceiling height, but I'm also somewhat of a "shuffler" and don't bounce a lot when I run. I think you'll be fine with 90".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Benyak wrote:

I was wondering about doing that in the basement accept removing chunks of joist so that I would have better head room down there I'm assuming I could have someone come in and tell me what I need to do to shore up the joists in other ways by butting them up once I remove part of them

I wouldn't remove anything structural, strictly the ceiling tile or drywall that's between the joists.

Sounds like from what the other post was you should be ok
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I'm looking to possibly purchase my first treadmill to get me through my winter running. However I'm concerned about the ceiling height in my house.We are in the process of redoing an old home built in 1920 the ceilings aren't very high. Does anyone know roughly how much headroom I need and does anyone make I guess for lack of better terms a low profile treadmill or one with a low deck?

Basement ceiling is 93" and I am 5'11" and are nowhere near the ceiling. You'll be fine. Using a Trimline mill.
Quote Reply
Re: Will a treadmill fit? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet setup
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I measured my Sole F80 at a deck height of 8in at the front third. (Slightly lower at the back.) I have a low basement ceiling which leaves 5-6 in of clearance when standing with shoes on the treadmill. I avoid much incline on the machine because I have hit my head at the higher slopes, but I never feel like it is too low on 0-1% where I do all my running. I don’t think my head gets much higher when running even at faster speeds. To check clearance even further I just put on a funny hat that made my standing height within 4 inches of the ceiling and I did not brush up against the ceiling.

TLDR: standing height plus 4-6 inches is plenty for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Benyak wrote:

Ok, stop.

Please don’t touch any structural elements of your house, period.

On the treadmill thingy I have a true CS 800 which has a 12 inch deck, I will be putting it in our basement at 96” and am 5’9”. Lots of clearance, like 6” from the top of my head.

Maurice
Quote Reply