Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Would be interesting to know your CdA as I believe Graham Obree was .0172 on Old Faithful Crouch when testing recently which was his lowest possible CdA now when retesting his positions.

Old Faithful Crouch 0.172
Modern UCI Standard 0.185
OId Faithful Superman 0.200
1993 UCI Standard 0.204

My CdA is lower than that - I think I'm also a bit lighter than Obree, though. Exact CdA is a hard to measure as it depends on how you test (track, wind tunnel, outside) and what other parameters you put into your model - and the accuracy of your measurement equipment, of course.
Quote Reply
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [CN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CN wrote:
Impressive ride Martin, well done (especially on the back of your top-10 finish in the European TT champs)!

You've got a nice rivalry going on with Mikkel Bjerg! ;)

Always highly interesting to see what equipment choices you go for. The lower Q-factor Campy cranks seems like a very sensible switch. Did you favor the Aeox rear disc over the Walker Bro's in order to get PowerTap data? Couldn't see a PowerTap on the pictures, but would make perfect sense in my opinion.

Looks like you also switched to a track chain this time (instead of a 11sp road chain)? Can you reveal which brand/model? I'm guessing that the treatment is super secret. :)

With these changes and the new extensions, elbow pads, skinsuit, helmet, position and chainring; it looks like you've turned almost every stone since your attempt in Aguascalientes!

Thanks!

Yeah, the new rear was to get a Powertap to get power and speed reading in a place that doesn't affect aerodynamics.

It's still the same chain - I think it's actually exactly the same chain :p Cleaned and re-treated of course.

Yeah, I've changed quite a bit actually. I wonder if another year of testing will bring me somewhere new again...
Quote Reply
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you dont mind how many meters ( cda) do you guess you gained from all this equipment changes since aquas
and roughly how many hours did you invest roughly.
cheers

iam not sure if anybody ever asked can you swim and run lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
CN wrote:
Impressive ride Martin, well done (especially on the back of your top-10 finish in the European TT champs)!

Always highly interesting to see what equipment choices you go for. The lower Q-factor Campy cranks seems like a very sensible switch. Did you favor the Aeox rear disc over the Walker Bro's in order to get PowerTap data? Couldn't see a PowerTap on the pictures, but would make perfect sense in my opinion.

Looks like you also switched to a track chain this time (instead of a 11sp road chain)? Can you reveal which brand/model? I'm guessing that the treatment is super secret. :)

With these changes and the new extensions, elbow pads, skinsuit, helmet, position and chainring; it looks like you've turned almost every stone since your attempt in Aguascalientes!

Thanks!

Yeah, the new rear was to get a Powertap to get power and speed reading in a place that doesn't affect aerodynamics.

It's still the same chain - I think it's actually exactly the same chain :p Cleaned and re-treated of course.

Yeah, I've changed quite a bit actually. I wonder if another year of testing will bring me somewhere new again...

Funny, I got the exact same wheel combo and cranks for my ongoing track build (not knowing you'd switched to it)!

Cool, so not a more "standard" White Industries cog then...

There's always new stuff hitting the market; new helmets, skinsuits etc. You'll keep finding new gains. :)
Quote Reply
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
The Tempor is such an interesting helmet. It got constantly shit on since 2012, but now it's sold out everywhere. (Thanks Darbedos) Would be interesting to see if it sold better if it was re-released now. It seems for a very specific position it is great.

I tested one on the track. I was hoping that it would suck because I think they look incredibly dumb. It didn't. I am mercilessly ridiculed every time I wear it, so I save it for special occasions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
CN wrote:

Thanks!

Came across this through a Rule 28 facebook post:

https://www.uci.org/...MG15yA107MDXc4ZkGJIw

Not sure if it really means that you're already allowed to ride with shoe covers on the track?

Maybe combined with the new Defeet EVO Disruptor socks? ;) Their marketing claims promise a lot...
Quote Reply
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I am mercilessly ridiculed every time I wear it, so I save it for special occasions

I would wear it to bed if I had won Nat's on it.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
I am mercilessly ridiculed every time I wear it, so I save it for special occasions

I would wear it to bed if I had won Nat's on it.

Hahahahahahaha +1

It's on my list to test next trip to the tunnel. I want to see it, the new Kask and the Lazer vs. my Aerohead Ult. Also been slowly accumulating some (used...eww...but cheaper) higher end skinsuits to try.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the low hands on the road / high hands on the track is really interesting. I'm assuming this means he's tested both in both situations... Does this predict the end of the current high hands trend once people stop relying on areo testing in indoor velodromes and wind tunnels?

Quote Reply
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [mitochondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I read desertdude saying on here some time ago that high hands tended to be worse at yaw. It's safe to say that Martin tests everything, but fidelity testing outdoors is still quite poor with current equipment. And at the extreme pointy end you are always trying to parse small differences.

Martin is shown at ~15:30 in the video I linked above. The announcers are "funny". They appear to not know who he is and botched reading his palmares. "He's been up there in the Danish National TT on a number of occasions" (actually won in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2nd in 2019). "...and has rode the Chrono des Nations in 2017 and 2018... actually 3rd in that in 2016, that's a good indication of TT form" (doh, he won in 2017 and 2018). "9th at the recent European Championships" (true but not his best showing)... "a rider who could be setting a good early time actually" (no shit... ;). They partially recovered a bit later but still no mention of him being 10th at Worlds last year, or setting the Danish Hour Record last week. Martin flies under the radar most of the time...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello. Sorry for my ignorance but who is this dude??? He´s done it great, still far from Wiggins.... I wonder what is going on what this record attempt lately. I grew up watching the sorts of Indurain, Rominger and Boardman giving a go, but, as long as I know, this stuff has not been on the radar for years till UCI re-set the records, erasing the previous ones due to the unapproved bikes...blablabla, and Wiggings then broke it... I just wonder if someone like Dennis, Roglic, Campenaerts , Dumoulin, gets into this stuff.... I think this thing needs a push and some marketing behind.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
I just wonder if someone like Dennis, Roglic, Campenaerts , Dumoulin, gets into this stuff.... I think this thing needs a push and some marketing behind.

Campenaerts set the record earlier this year in Mexico... haven't you heard? Dennis tried in 2015 and failed. Although he could probably do better he has ~2.5km to make up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hour_record

Martin's palmares is actually quite good by World Tour standards, but he has a day job and you only see him at TTs so he isn't that well known. A lot of us think it's pretty cool that a guy can perform at that level while having a full time job. Plus he has been an ST member for a long time.
Quote Reply
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [mitochondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mitochondria wrote:
I think the low hands on the road / high hands on the track is really interesting. I'm assuming this means he's tested both in both situations... Does this predict the end of the current high hands trend once people stop relying on areo testing in indoor velodromes and wind tunnels?

Wiggins was pretty much the same. Low(ish) hands on the road and high(ish) on the track:
https://secure.i.telegraph.co.uk/.../Wiggo4_3333099b.jpg --> track
http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/.../1/sptdw3053_670.jpg --> road

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [CN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are now allowed to ride with shoe covers on an indoor track!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
*small correction but Dennis did break the record at the time.

Quote Reply
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:
You are now allowed to ride with shoe covers on an indoor track!
Interesting I had not seen this change. Now I have to start looking at covers again

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doh! I guess that was a record at the time...

Velotoze are a good cheap shoe cover. You can buy the long ones too and cut off the tops. I made covers that just go over the laces out of the excess top piece (glued on a piece of latex tube to join the ends under the shoe), and that's so much easier to deal with, and less sweaty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I think I've got some velotoze laying around somewhere. The nopinz ones look good... But I've got all these socks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On of the guys this last week had a pair from nopinz. Their ‘overshoes’’ were the nicest I’ve ever seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They somehow slipped in the rule change with a recent revision. A couple guys had picked up on it, but it even took the officials off guard. I got to know them and was told uci does not even tell them about updates !
Quote Reply
Re: LIVE! Martin Toft Madsen Danish Hour Record attempt [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah that sounds about right

Quote Reply

Prev Next