Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 5 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 5 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This is my last week in Maine; goal is a long outdoor run and whatever else I feel like.
I ran outside Monday for part of my run, but didn't do the long run outside. I did have a good "whatever else I felt like" week.
I feel very sad today because summer camp is over. That is my favorite 4 weeks of the year and I go through serious withdrawal when it's over. Fortunately I think my friends will let me borrow their kids this week.

M: 6.8 mi run + 500 yd swim
T: 11.5 mi run
W: 3.6 mi run + 2325 yd swim
T: 8.3 mi run
F: 9 mi run + 7.6 mi bike
S: 5.2 mi run + 1375 yd swim + 13.8 mi bike
S: 6.2 mi run + 1375 yd swim

so I am flying back to OK today and was SO SURE my flight was at 4:30 pm, didn't do the check in last night ... was at the gym and got a text "reminder that your flight leaves at 12:58 pm." WHOOPS. Fortunately I was able to get to the airport in time but I'm a bit ashamed as I usually have my life better managed than this! Will not make that mistake again.

too stressed right now to make goals for the week :P

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all!

Thanks for starting TC. Sorry about the end of camp! I could tell that you've been really happy there. Hopefully you can take some of that home with you.

This past week was the biggest of my training plan, and I went up to LP to try out the course on the weekend. I got through it all, not that I felt great. But I'm glad it all came together enough for me to show myself I can do it, if over 2 days. Also, LP is gorgeous y'all, and since the full was the weekend before, it was still crawling with triathletes.

Dat bike course tho. Geez. Have any of you done the full? If you have, I have a lot of respect for you over here. About 2/3 of the way through I was wondering if I was going to make it at all, and suddenly, as if the heavens parted and beamed down to me exactly what I needed, I saw an ice cream shop and stopped for a float. The break and the combo soda/ice cream gave me what I needed.

This week:
M: strength and swim
T: run and threshold bike
W: strength and swim
Th: bike and hill sprinting run
F: RESTRESTRESTREST
Sa: "test run" for the race (according to my plan), with a swim, a big ol' bike, and a short run
Su: Run and swim

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday, Ladies!

Dr TC- I'm sorry you have the leaving blahs. Be kind to yourself this week back in OK. I'm also selfishly bummed you won't be in Maine at the end of the month when I'm up there for OOB.

GN- Way to get it done! I used to live near LP, and am very familiar with the course. I remember the first time that IM came into my life, when my ex-fiance told me as we were driving through Jay up into LP that this was part of the bike course for IMLP. And I had a very large NOPE moment. Sure, now I'm all yay IM, but I'm still very much NOPE about IMLP because he and his family live there (it's a very small place if you're not a tourist). But anyways, you're going to be great! The fear for that course should be gone and replaced with respect- for the course and for YOURSELF for getting out there and conquering it!

I had a pretty good week, all things considered. Apparently my uterus is "stabilized", or something, because I am feeling better after the reset. The HRT withdrawal flu was not the least bit fun, and I full on had a system crash by Wednesday. That meant shuffling workouts around, and my coach also pulled one of my workouts from the lineup. I would have been fine, but I probably would not have felt as good as I did for the 80 mile ride on Saturday.

This week's focus: Rest and Test
M- rest!
Tu- 30min easy swim
W- Run TT at the track
Th- 30min swim or rest
F- FTP test
Sa- 90min ride, 6mi run
Su- OWS practice at the bay

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh that flight situation sounds like my worst nightmare. Glad you were able to make it Dr TC!
Well done on solid training GiantNewb and Dr_C (glad you are feeling better).

My goals were:
Quote:
3 x swim, 4 x bike, 4 x run, 2 x strength
Skipped one strength session but otherwise got it all in. My father's visit was nice except for when he lost consciousness at the dinner table. So stressful and the docs were unable to find any reason for it. Again. (Those of you with keen memories will remember that last time he visited me about 18 months ago he also collapsed inexplicably.)

This week is RACE WEEK! For once I think I'm more excited than anxious. My only goal is to beat my 2018 time.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 5 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Be kind to yourself this week back in OK. I'm also selfishly bummed you won't be in Maine at the end of the month when I'm up there for OOB.

Being kind to myself is always a good reminder. Thanks. I'm sorry to miss you there, too, but glad you get to come to my super cool state.

On another note, glad to hear your health stuff is sorting out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, TC, the flight mixup! I fly so dang much I have had some doozies. Once, I thought I bought a ticket for 6 pm--turned out it was for 6 am that same day, which was before the event that I had flown all the way to Oxford, England, to take part in. Another time, I showed up at the right time, at the wrong airport. Still another time, the whole flight full of people waited for an airplane part for 8 hours, then the flight was finally cancelled and they wanted to put us on a bus to another airport (it wasn't the best plan). I went to get my luggage that had been checked, and found that I had lost my ticket, so I went back to find it and they left without me.

Glad you made the flight.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 5 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
I'm also selfishly bummed you won't be in Maine at the end of the month when I'm up there for OOB.

I'm not as special as Dr. TC, but I will be here! I live at about mile 51 of the bike course, so I'll be out in my driveway, probably with my husband, ringing cowbell. If you share your number and what you're likely to be wearing, I'll look for you and cheer extra obnoxiously ;o) And if there's anything you (or anyone!) should need while you're here, feel free to hit me up.

I know I suck and can't get my stuff together on a weekly basis, but I do enjoy following what you're all doing.

I was a DNS for IMLP this year - just could not get out of my own damn way to get the training done, and it burnt me out completely. I'm trying to get over "I thought I wanted to do long course but only because everyone else is doing long course and really I like sprints better" angst by reminding myself what *I* enjoy about the sport - mostly the cheering and the "you go, awesome newbie!" aspect, the atmosphere on race morning, and playing bikes.

So... no current planned workouts, but taking advantage of opportunities to ride as they come up. Last week that involved some mountain biking (new bike ordered, w00t!), some tolling around the neighbourhood with my husband, and I rode the rail trail yesterday with a colleague trying to regain some fitness and lose some weight, which was a great way just to get out and ride for funsies - even when we got caught in a rain squall! Waiting to see what this week presents, but I'm not going to beat myself up about it.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 5 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, YAAAAAY!!!! :) I just realized that I probably have a bib# at this point, and will send it to you when I find out what it is. I appreciate the offer of hospitality! My husband and his family lived up there for over a decade before I stole him away, so we're pretty familiar with the area (hello, carb loading at Standard Baking!). Maybe in the chaos of racing that weekend I can find a moment to stop by and say hi while I'm not on my bike!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday was my birthday - a new age group. I spent a long weekend at the lake house in Kansas with my little man who recently turned 5.

https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=paaef3jiblk0

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 5 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy birthday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice! A belated happy birthday.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy birthday!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik, I hope you're cheering up back in OK. I've definitely shown up at the wrong airport (NYC!), shown up on the wrong day, booked a flight a month off, and booked a fight on a day when I'm already in another place...

GiantNewb, congrats on a big week. I've been up there a few times but never raced. My favorite workouts are when the heavens part and light beams down onto a snack shop :D
Scheherazade, good luck this weekend, I hope you have a great day. I also hope your dad is feeling better and gets some answers).
Dr_C, glad you are feeling better! Thanks for the note too.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ironclm!

Quote:
This is a sorta taper week for me rolling into race day with the same number of usual things but shorter, sharper efforts. I'll be trying an anti-acclimation strategy for the heat and elevation. We'll see how that goes.

I'm going to trust the anti-acclimation strategy for future races because I had a great day at Boulder with a PR swim, strong bike, and just enough left in the tank for a solid run for a new 70.3 personal best and my best overall placement. As a bonus, I had a bunch of friends and teammates racing and cheering and getting to spend time with them made me super happy. Also, mountains <3

Since the race, I've mostly chilled. I enjoyed some excellent Rest Day Brags and have run some easy trail and swum some lazy laps. Will get back to work tonight. Probably. Thinking 3 bikes, 4 swims, 4 runs for the week.

Happy training y'all.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 5 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats on your PR!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys. I had an OK week last week as far as training, just three rides and three runs, but I got to spend a lot of time with my husband's family so it was all very well worth it. I can't believe that we're coming up to the end of summer already!!!!!! Hopefully Michigan weather will be unpredictable enough that we get another month or so of warmth. =)

Dr. T, sorry to hear camp is over, it sounds like it was a blast! I too have a flying mishap. Airport code for Costa Rica: SJO, name of the airport is Juan Santamaria. Airport code for San Juan, Puerto Rico: SJU. Yes, I bought tickets to the wrong damn country. I caught the mistake less than a week before we left so we had to pay the cost of our tickets again to change them, but we were already committed with AirBnBs, rental car, meeting our friends there, etc. When we went to Argentina this year I checked the airport about 50 times and had multiple people double check for me, haha.

GiantNewb, glad you found what you needed on your bike ride, lol

Dr_C, glad to hear you're doing better. Hopefully you can continue working toward figuring it out.

Scheherazade, how scary that your dad passed out! I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with travel? Thank goodness you were there. And good luck on your race!

UK2ME, glad to see you back here. Sometimes you just need a break. And all that biking sounds lovely.

Happy birthday, ironclm!!!

SoCal, what an awesome race. You have been working your butt off and it shows. Congrats!

My week is already off to a good start with a double trainer ride + weights video on Monday and a run yesterday in the heat and humidity. I am leaving in a few minutes for a run evaluation and I am super excited! I will report back. (haha) Husband's family is still in town for another couple days so I am going to try for an outdoor ride on Friday before we all hang out on Friday/Saturday. Husband and I are running our usual summer 5K Sunday which should be a lot of fun even if we have to wog it. It's for a good cause and we've done it all four years it's been around so it is our own tradition by now. =)

Hope you all are doing well!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Birthdays and kick ass races and race prep and life - good work everyone!!

I'm back at work today after a weekend mountain bender. My 3 year old called it my "field trip" and he isn't wrong. :P 4 days/3 nights in the back country. It was glorious - over 60km of hiking, lots of laughs and all the views - mountains, lakes, rivers, (mini) icebergs, glaciers, ice fields, mountain goats, marmots, porcupines and chipmunks.

I'm picking the doggo up after work and I think we'll try an easy jog. I'm not sore, but my calves are a bit tight still.
Quote Reply