Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: August Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3.31 mi run
2400 yd swim

11 x 100 w/u (5 on 1:35, 6 on 1:30)
8 x [50 kick + 100 fast] (5 @ 1:13, 3 @ 1:14)
25 kick
75 swim c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Aug 26, 19 9:05
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like I’m a doper (not really, ha!)

Doc prescribed salbutamol inhaler and Flovent inhaler for this cough that will not end. 3 weeks now. I checked the globalDRO site and salbutamol is ok as long as conditions are met. (Inhaled, max dosage over 12 and 24 hour period only, etc)

It’s definitely helped already.

Flovent is fine.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad it's helping!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the pool: SCY

1500 Free (20:30)
4x200P on 3:00 (2:30-33)
4x100P on 1:30 (1:15-17)
6x50 BK/BR/FR on 10
4x25 IM on 30
100 cool down
3500 total
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6.11 mi easy run, 1625 yd swim

500 w/u
50 kick
4 x 200 on 3:20 desc 2:46, 2:42, 2:37, 2:34
50 kick
225 c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4.8 mi easy run, 525 yd swim (straight swim, kick the last 25)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3.6 mi easy run / 1075 yd swim / 3.7 mi easy run

5 x 100 on 1:35
50 kick
100 "fast" 1:15
50 kick
200 "fast" 2:35
50 kick
100 "fast" 1:15
25 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake swim: 56:45

Experimenting with breathing pattern.
Did every 2nd arm stroke for 4 then bilateral (every 3rd) every 2nd arm stroke for 4 on other side. For last 15 minutes did bilateral, then every second then bilateral toward end of swim. It felt good and kept me balanced. Will experiment some more.

In pool I typically breathe every 2nd swimming and every 3rd pulling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6.1 mi easy run, 875 yd swim (850 swim + 25 kick)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local swim shop closing :-( They were having a clearance sale @ 60% off, so I picked up a new suit, fins, paddles, shampoo and a dome race cap for $90 taxes in. The fins are usually $75 before tax, so I finally bit the bullet and got a new pair to replace my old ones that I really don’t like

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SCY
Warmup
3x100S
1x100K
2x25 UDK + recovery

Main Set
3 rounds
4x25K on :25
EZ50 choice on 1:00

5 rounds
25 on 1:00
50 on 1:00
75 on 1:00

4x75 on 1:20
EZ 50 on 1:00
4x75 on 1:10
EZ50 on 1:00
4x75 on 1:00
EZ50 on 1:00

100 warmdown

2800 SCY
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice easterly wind (offshore) here in W central FL, a prelude to whatever we get with hurricane Dorian which may or may not be catastrophic. But today was wonderful with a 2400 yard swim at a 1:40 or so pace. I've been swimming enough this summer that it hardly taxes me at all anymore. I have a race on 9/13 which should go pretty well if I can keep my mojo.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 mi easy run, 3075 yd swim

20 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick, 50 swim, 50 kick, 100 swim, 50 kick, 150 swim, 50 kick, 200 swim, 50 kick, 250 swim
75 kick c/d

23,000 yds for the month which is a little higher than last month.

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Aug 31, 19 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SCY
400S/400K/400P
5x200IM on 3:30 (2:56-57)
6x100 alternate BK/BR on 1:35/1:45
6x100P alternate BK/FR on 1:35/1:30
100 easy
3500 Total

Good month: all swimming outdoors!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a tough day at the Maui Channel Relay. The first two hours were reasonably calm except for a couple wind fetched, churning up some 4 foot chop, of which the second one was during my leg.
Our savvy boat captain believed the would be a substantial northbound current so we aimed for south of Lahaina. Sure enough we hit it and fought the 6 knot current, trying to keep from overshooting the Kaanapali exit. We were the southernmost boat, but well behind the always fast Aussie team. They’re so fast, they missed the current and the fetches. All the other teams got swept past Black Rock and some well past it. The race director announced those teams that had no chance at a proper finish could have their swimmer touch any beach, swim back to the boat then motor to the finish. We finished legit, with me, on my third effort, took it to shore. We were the second of three teams that finished legit. However, because of the rule change, we saw several boats motor around Black Rock and finish ahead of us. So we ended up 8th overall and third in our division in 4:36. Kinda sucks!
In the 50 years or so the race has run, they’ve never had conditions like this. A few teams DNF’d as they missed all the beaches they could set foot on and were entering the Molokai Channel.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
It was a tough day at the Maui Channel Relay. The first two hours were reasonably calm except for a couple wind fetched, churning up some 4 foot chop, of which the second one was during my leg.
Our savvy boat captain believed the would be a substantial northbound current so we aimed for south of Lahaina. Sure enough we hit it and fought the 6 knot current, trying to keep from overshooting the Kaanapali exit. We were the southernmost boat, but well behind the always fast Aussie team. They’re so fast, they missed the current and the fetches. All the other teams got swept past Black Rock and some well past it. The race director announced those teams that had no chance at a proper finish could have their swimmer touch any beach, swim back to the boat then motor to the finish. We finished legit, with me, on my third effort, took it to shore. We were the second of three teams that finished legit. However, because of the rule change, we saw several boats motor around Black Rock and finish ahead of us. So we ended up 8th overall and third in our division in 4:36. Kinda sucks!
In the 50 years or so the race has run, they’ve never had conditions like this. A few teams DNF’d as they missed all the beaches they could set foot on and were entering the Molokai Channel.

This sounds really epic and deserving of a full post and Q&A session in the main forum with an event/race report. This is exactly why I come to slowtwitch (to hear about endurance sport exploits). All the stupid talk of gear, and windtunnels gets really old (and i am trained as an engineer, and run an engineering company but its still gets old). Guys and girls crossing a channel having to predict currents and fight it is really cool stuff.

On my side I did my 5th Olympic tri of the summer yesterday. My swim times have been dissappointing...all of them in the mid 25's for 1500m except one that was 24.08. I swam 23:34 at swim nationals. In that I had turns every 25m, but in these swims I had a wetsuit. I figured I should have been breaking 24 easily, but never did. All of the swims however, were river swims out and back either single or double loop. It's hard to say what the current in the river was like (3 in the Saint Lawrence river two in the Rideau River, but its certainly non zero so that MAY explain it).

Next weekend, I am doing the Demi Esprit half IM in Montreal. With no current, if I can't break 30 minutes then something is wrong when I swim in wetsuit.

On a plus note on really windy days for all but one tri I am averaging almost 36 kph and I have broken 50 min (run time, some races include transition) in all but one. I just started jogging in March the week of swim Provincials. I was getting grief from Jason in May for the running I was doing in the lead up to swim nationals, but I was "hoping" that I would be able to do some tris after 4 years of zero. Now I have done 5x Olympic (got 1st, 4th, 1st, 3rd, 1st in my age group...local level stuff) and one sprint (1K-30K-7k) and I'm going to try my first half IM.

Along the way, I got some bragging rights in the Global Swim Series (King Wolf Crossing, Lac Tremblant 12km crossing, Riverkeeper 4km up current river crossing). It turns out I'm 15th in the world overall and 3rd in 50-59....its mainly a function of three races within 1:45 from home:

https://globalswimseries.com/...uit-global-rankings/:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Local swim shop closing :-( They were having a clearance sale @ 60% off, so I picked up a new suit, fins, paddles, shampoo and a dome race cap for $90 taxes in. The fins are usually $75 before tax, so I finally bit the bullet and got a new pair to replace my old ones that I really don’t like

Which fins did you get.

OK you will like this and I believe this qualifies from "real fish status".

Around 18 months ago I said that I "achieved" my first underwater 25m dolphin kick crossing of the 25m pool. That was already a big achievement because my dolphin kick was so bad that 8 months earlier, when I tried, I barely got to the flags with a push off and 5 kicks (I know I should get to the flag with no kicks, just the push off and glide).

In any case back then I was taking 39-42 kicks to cross the pool.

So today after my main set I decided to stay around for 30 minutes after free swim started (meaning kids jumping all over the place, strange denizens doing stranger things than even my ex triathlete self). In any case, as the "main kick set), I first did 5x50 m with fins (as 25 dolphin under water, easy kick on back coming back). I took 20 seconds rest between these. I was taking 18-20 kicks with fins.

Then I decided to do it without fins. First I did 2x 20 dolphin kicks no fins just to see where I was coming out. I was surprised how far I was getting. So then I did the same set as the set with fins, but this time no fins and one minute rest

• first 25m 30 kicks, recovery kicking 25 m on back, rest 1 min
  • second 25m 30 kicks, recovery kicking 25 m on back, rest 1 min
  • third 25m 30 kicks, recovery kicking 25 m on back, rest 1 min...I believe this one was faster pace as my intensity was higher
  • fourth 25m 32 kicks, recovery kicking 25 m on back, rest 1 min...I believe this one was the fastest frequency and intensity were higher
  • Fifth 25m......28 kicks...I was really focused on starting my kick from just under my chest and using the entire core as a "fin"

So I think I am getting it. I think if I went for pure "lowest number of kicks" and cut back the intensity a bit, I COULD maybe do it in 26 but for sure in 27.
Quote Reply
Re: August Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waikiki Roughwater Swim
Was up for cancellation consideration due to massive current, but happened anyway. I’ll tell you right now, it was like swimming a 5k or longer, depending on your strategy. I had a fairly decent strategy, but not quite good enough. 57 minutes for last year and and hour 23 minutes this time. The strategy is to make a radical sharp turn at the first turn buoy and swim to shore to avoid current. Swim along the shore, then back out to the final turn and swim in. Beeline distance is 2.34 miles. I did 2.6… longer, but faster, but slower than other years. I should have gone closer to shore. I did not podium – eighth place. I think the Maui Channel Relay took a lot out of me – not everyone do both. GF, Heidi, beat me by a couple minutes and placed third. She was first last year.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next