Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Torn Quadriceps Tendon
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I just tore my quadriceps tendon in a mountain climbing fall. Not as exciting as it sounds, did the Presidential Traverse and was 2 miles from the trailhead when I lost focus and caught the tip of my shoe and went down and tore the tendon. Need to be carried off on a litter.

Looking for anyone who may have had a similar injury and could share their recovery experience. I'm having surgery next Thursday to reattach the tendon. I'll be in a fixed brace for 6 weeks with an estimated 6 months for recovery. I'm a fit 64 yo male. I'm guessing the age is a negative but hopefully the fitness level is a positive.

Any replies would be appreciated!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Torn Quadriceps Tendon [rayman54] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear it but keep the faith, prior fitness is a huge benefit for healing - physically and mentally.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tore my patellar tendon(bottom of the kneecap, while your injury is the top of the kneecap) 95% off my patella and had it repaired in March 2017. My recovery timeline:

March 3 surgery
First swim about 15 days later as soon as the stitches came out. Swimming was a bit logistically difficult since I wasn't supposed to drive for 6 weeks or whatever it was...plus getting in/out of the pool and showering was a challenge when I couldn't put weight on the surgery leg. But aside from the rehab exercises it was all I could do so I got to the pool about 4 times/week.

First bike ride on the trainer (15 minutes) about 7 1/2 weeks after surgery. Gradual progression after that (rode 2hrs about 5 weeks later)

First jog (3 x 45seconds at 5mph!!) about 11 1/2 weeks after surgery. Gradual progression after that.

Presumably your surgery is similar to mine in that the tendon really needs to scar down well to the patella for a successful long term recovery. So really be non-weight bearing for the time they tell you to. Do what the surgeon and PTs tell you to do. The recovery is fairly long compared to some knee surgeries, but the long term prognosis is good (basically complete recovery if you do what you are supposed to do).

Hopefully you have a good support system since everything is a challenge for a while after surgery: cooking, showering, sitting on the toilet...all were really hard. I live alone which really wasn't ideal.

I'd recommend forearm crutches instead of traditional crutches...safer on stairs and a bit easier to get around with.

Be patient and do post your progress/frustrations/questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Torn Quadriceps Tendon [Nelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Fuller and Nelo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which tendon did you tear? the main one at the front I am assuming? I tore my outer tendon, the vastus lateralis. 40% tear apparently, the injury is not the main issue for me that probably healed after 6-8 weeks its all about the rehab. I didnt have surgery at the time as it wasnt as clean tear. The quad muscle just disappeared and I am now 8 months later and I cant run properly yet, its getting stronger slowly but its not back as it was yet. Its all my fault!! I havent done as much strengthening as I should. I do strengthening occasionally and the more I do the more I can do if you see what I mean. I am taking a year out of racing competitively and hope to be back 100% for next year.

The take home is that you have to be 100% focused on strengthening and rehab to be back sooner than i am. Ideally having a physio/practitioner on hand helping you thro that 3 times a week (I didnt)
Quote Reply
Re: Torn Quadriceps Tendon [cantswim24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Cantswim24,

The tear was of the main quadriceps tendon directly above the patella. This blog graphically identifies that region as well as the repair:

http://321gomd.com/...driceps-tendon-tear/

Right now I'm quite motivated to do everything necessary to recover quickly. Hopefully that remains to be the case after surgery ( this Thursday).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good luck with the surgery and subsequent rehab.
Quote Reply
Re: Torn Quadriceps Tendon [cantswim24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update:

Surgery was yesterday. lasted about 1.5 hours. The surgeons told my wife that the tear was a complete one, but they said everything went quite well.

My last memory was of getting a leg block intended to mitigate the post-op pain. They said it didn’t work, not sure how they knew that. The worse pain I can feel so far is in my patella where they drilled the anchor holes for the sutures. It’s like a very strong ache. They already want me to put weight on the lag and I have my 1st PT session Tuesday morning.

I typically don't do meds, but the doctors strongly urged me to do so given the nature of the procedure. On Tylenol and Advil and a small limited dosage of Oxycontin.

Thanks again for the replies!!
Quote Reply