Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Walking in the swim-rule? [Terrordact] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrordact wrote:
100% legal. I've heard people joke about running the whole swim at eagleman/IM maryland.

I clicked this thread just to reference Eagleman, and already at the first reply, I was not disappointed.
Quote Reply
Re: Walking in the swim-rule? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
Not exactly apropos to your question but a few years ago a friend of mine spent the better part of a year learning to swim so he could finish a sprint triathlon. The swim was 300 yards in the downtown YMCA lap pool in Fort Worth, Texas. The pool's depth was not deeper than maybe 3.5 feet. He walked it.[/quote]

This is why pool swims are attractive to newbies. I like it.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Walking in the swim-rule? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
dswezey wrote:
Inane question in a technicality.

If you run into a sandbar or shallow water in a IM swim and walk forward. Is that disqualification or is that allowed?

Shallow water at the exit isn’t a problem. But what about mid course?

It’s legal. The rule is you have to stay outside the turn buoys. I’ve done that before on a two loop course. I swung wide ran 100-200 and jumped back in.

And if you're talking a moderate to strong current situation, there can be times when you want to run down the shore a bit so you can work with the current to make a turn buoy correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: Walking in the swim-rule? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the same thing at 70.3 Oman this past March. Ran about 200 m along the beach to get the straight shot. Still came out of the water at the same time as my friend who didn't even use a wetsuit. So probably the better strategy would have been to train swimming more effectively.

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Re: Walking in the swim-rule? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely Bevan. I remember watching and thinking “that’s a crafty veteran move!”

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Walking in the swim-rule? [dswezey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a sprint back in the 90s where I ran parallel the lead swimmer for a few hundred meters, until we hit the first buoy. He started yelling at me to swim every time he breathed on the side nearest me. I would wave and give him a big beautiful smile. Unsure if anybody behind me did the same. I had a blast! Later the folks who swam the first part told me they were hitting the bottom with their hands at times. Poor course design.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Walking in the swim-rule? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is pretty much the rule and how it is enforced. If the swim goes over sandbars, you can usually dolphin dive that section...The one exception is obviously the australian exits, and on some of the beach swims, you have a wide area within which you can return, so you can pick your line and potentially run along the beach for a bit (the Mooloolaba world cup is a good example of this one, where people took very different lines to the beach...).
Quote Reply
Re: Walking in the swim-rule? [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
so the related question then is at what depth of water is it quicker to swim in vs walk/run (obviously it varies for different height and swim capabilities, as well as underwater ground surface)

I can swim faster in water down to about 20" deep. Have to alter my technique as the water gets shallow (elbow bent ~90%,and pull under the torso with forearm perpendicular to the direction of travel), but it's faster for me than trying to run through water deeper than my knee caps.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Walking in the swim-rule? [dswezey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just remember, if you do a USMS OWS, touching the bottom is illegal, no matter the depth.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Walking in the swim-rule? [Terrordact] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrordact wrote:
100% legal. I've heard people joke about running the whole swim at eagleman/IM maryland.

Yep - I don't think I have ever done a race there without walking part of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Walking in the swim-rule? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Just remember, if you do a USMS OWS, touching the bottom is illegal, no matter the depth.
not so says usms rulebook
Quote:
303.9.5 Make forward progress by pulling, pushing, or maintaining contact on physical features and/or craft on or near the course, other than the bottom near the start and finish and at specified locations. Event hosts may choose to prohibit deliberate contact between swimmers and craft and physical features if it has been announced in the event information.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next