Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, agreed the attack on the poster who got in the accident is ridiculous--heal up!! I mean, you don't even need to experience such slippage with these pads to understand how easy it would be for this to happen. The material is comfy but naturally slick. Just feel the material and employ a little common sense. So, while unfortunate, none of these incidents are surprisingly in the least. After simply feeling the pads, I quickly changed direction with my cup/pad choice.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to no one in particular:

if you want to post an opinion, or a personal experience incident, you may do so. but what i won't allow - and i just pulled some posts - is for 2 of you to engage in a beat-up of a product; and i won't allow any posts that demand an outcome that you consider the only one appropriate.

you may post your experiences. if you go much beyond that prepare to have your posts pulled.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [dl1340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also had some issues with the pads being slippery. First thing I did to try and remove the slickness/grease was use some rubbing alcohol, second thing I did was use some low grit sandpaper to rough up the surface. No issues since.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ‘em. I like ‘em. I sweat a lot. No slippage, but would prefer a pad that absorbs the sweat a bit better. Not planning on switching.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [ctkidd_23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ctkidd_23 wrote:
Well, here is my experience FWIW ...

I read this thread, agreed with it, never took action. I was 8 weeks out from my A race and was in a group ride, hit a bump while on someones wheel, arms slid off the arm cups which were good and sweaty at this point, lost control 24mph ended up going over the handlebars and landing on my shoulder. Season done for, 400+ hours of training gone, $5k+ wasted on a race I cant take part in, medical fees for the last two weeks of hospital visits (plus whatever is to come - surgery, etc). This isn't the only incident I have had with this product.

My recommendation at this point is obvious ... but I wanted to share my experience.

Sorry to hear about your crash. I just crashed this weekend. Same thing, hit a bump that 300+ other riders hit and were fine... but I slid out of the 51 Speedshop aero cup pads and forward onto the cockpit, jack-knifed the front wheel sending me flying off the bike.

I've been riding triathlon bikes every year since 2007. I have over 25,000 miles total logged ON A TRIATHLON BIKE with 6 Ironmans, 16 Half-Ironmans and this is the FIRST TIME I'VE EVER CRASHED. I also mountain bike weekly during every fall/ winter so my bike handling skills are excellent.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you ride with elbows on the pads or forearms on the pads?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
I have ‘em. I like ‘em. I sweat a lot. No slippage, but would prefer a pad that absorbs the sweat a bit better. Not planning on switching.

there are, in general, 3 kinds of pads. open cell (skin sliced off) blown rubber pads. fabric upper pads (zipp, profile, etc.). and foam pads with skin on. Felt has made some of these with its Devox bars that go back a half-dozen or more years, they are slipperier (in my experience) but easier to keep clean. that's the plus/minus. cervelo's new P5 disc and P3X pads are easy to clean and they're not slippery. that's probably my favorite current pad material.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking for new cups and pads. Mine (PD) were getting old and I couldn’t get them as narrow as I wanted to try. I was really considering the 51SS. A few weeks ago I did a ride with some friends and new guy was there. He had those and I asked him what he thought. He said they were comfy. I asked if they were slippery and he said for him they were, and that was the one thing he didn’t like. I’ve heard good reviews too, but I sweat a lot and it worried me, so I ended up getting TriRig ergo cups. Very satisfied with them.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 51 speed shop bars and pads set up at 10degree+and have never had a slipping issue.
I live in Georgia and it’s hot and humid 8 weeks of 90+ degrees.
In my opinion the new Cervelo pads feel the same as the speed shop pads.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking for replacement arm cups and came across this thread. Just wondering if there have there been any updates or modifications to the 51 Speedshop material or design to alleviate some of the concerns highlighted in this 2+-year old post.

Or otherwise any new feedback on the use of 51 Speedshop arm cups? I have the Carbon Ultimate extensions and it may be nice to match them with these.

Thanks,
@Kid
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short answer is no. I picked up some ceegee pads to use with the 51ss cups to mitigate the issue.

However, there are some pro's that have been on new cups/pads for quite some time. It sounds like those will be available in the spring along with their new extensions.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huge thank you on this recommendation - Cee Gee's work amazing and feels great to be planted in the cockpit again.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [ttreise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the weight of 51 speed shot cups and pads?
Quote Reply

Prev Next