Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I don't get it...
Quote | Reply
Virtually all short course racing in the U.S. is non-draft legal. If you do well, you can go to the USAT national championships, which are again non-draft legal. But it you somehow make it to the world ITU championships, it suddenly becomes draft legal? Is that right? That can't be right.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't get it... [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
Virtually all short course racing in the U.S. is non-draft legal. If you do well, you can go to the USAT national championships, which are again non-draft legal. But it you somehow make it to the world ITU championships, it suddenly becomes draft legal? Is that right? That can't be right.
It's not correct.

One can just sign up for NDL Sprint National Championships, without qualification. So, "doing well", whatever that means, is not necessary to race in the NDL qualifier.
The only qualification for this ITU AG WC qualification race is: you are a current USAT member, and you've completed an entry, and paid the entry fee.

At this event, the top 8 in each AG are awarded berths on Team USA.
The remaining 10 berths are awarded at second qualification event, later in the year, which is DL.
The ITU SD AG WC is now only DL (since 2015?).

Editorial: in 2018, at AG Nationals, to qualify forTeamUSA to compete at 2019 ITU AG WC in the DL Sprint: one did not have to have any bike handling skills, other than an ability to navigate around (numerous) potholes--nor be able to swim.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: I don't get it... [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, I get that the Sprint is open to everyone. But I believe my main point remains. If you make it to the word championship, it will be a draft legal event. That just strikes me as odd, given that draft legal events are rare (at least in my area).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, they are rare in the US but not in Europe. I wish there was more of them in the US.

The decision to go to Draft legal happened in 2015 for the 2016 ITU Sprint Champs. In 2015 there was a DL qualifier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Draft legal... triathlon's wheel-suckers' charter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This truly is an “you” problem. And by you I mean US problem while rest of world just rolls with it. But lack of numbers/interest/ liability issues etc just has Americans thinking it’s the worst form of racing.

When in reality it’s simple. Just race. No worry on equipment, just go swim bike and run. No officiating really needed.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: I don't get it... [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see any information about the 2nd qualifier DL event. Does anyone know where and when?
Quote Reply
Re: I don't get it... [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still not been listed and at this point, it's f'd. You don't decide the race venue 3 months before the event and expect high participation numbers.

What it tells me is that RD's simply don't want to do the DL requirements that are needed. IE- full closed course costs vs normal non-closed course costs that most events are run under (yes the big events can close their courses, but 95% of US races are raced on open roads).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: I don't get it... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year it was at Sarasota, the same venue they hold the CAMTRI races. I wouldn't mind they hold it there again, it's a nice course. But given it's age group, you may end up with a lot of races so the closure of the roads/park may be a lot longer than the CAMTRI races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s not a good course in the fall due to Florida heat and water quality, it’s been a duathlon the last 2 years for fall races. Great spring venue as the water quality is better.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jun 19, 19 14:29
Quote Reply
Re: I don't get it... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, I forgot about that... the water quality and whatnot. Maybe that's why the USAT is still undecided where to hold this. Given the logistics involved, you would think they should know by now, we are talking about 3 months out, like you said. How about Tempe, AZ? I am just guessing now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this point that’s all they can do. Just tack it onto the collegiate ncaa race (which also has a Ag race still I think).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In many countries there's no requirement that the qualifiers for the age group sprint DL races are actually DL... We tried it in Canada (where our qualifying system is different) and the end result was that we had fewer qualifiers, and not filling nearly the spots that could be. Because of the limited RDs who were offering DL age group races, they started to allow non DL races to act as qualifiers... I agree that can make for a bit of sketchiness at worlds, but in my experiences at least in the sprint duathlons at two worlds is that the people who were terrified of riding in close proximity didn't ride in close proximity, so I never really felt fearful that someone was going to take me down... Not all draft packs were rolling effectively, but that's the same in bike racing... it takes both skill and willingness to make a pack roll well...

In terms of the why for DL, a number of countries, their races were by default DL (one easy way to stop people bitching about drafting not being policed enough is to just stop policing and make it legal...)... Especially in countries where there's a lot more bike racing, people are less fearful of the idea of draft legal racing, and the municipalities are more open to the road closures required for those types of races (the solution that several of the races here that have offered DL waves has been to use auto-race tracks, you get a decent sized loop, they are closed to traffic by default without the police costs to close a bunch of intersections, and no angry residents... plus they tend to be canted well to allow cornering at high speed, and can be hella fun, and there's plenty of parking...)
Quote Reply