Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike "upgrades" for weight purposes: worth it?
Quote | Reply
hi,

would you say it is crazy to look at changing aero bar extensions, chainrings, etc. from aluminium to carbon to save weight vs the cost these have?

would these changes represent that much? i know the new shimano ultegra chainring/crankset is about 680grms and changing to carbon would drop around 400grms... but aero extensions.. what can be the difference?

i know main thing to probably change in reg to being lighter is the actual rider weight, but would these changes make sense at all?

any experience / feedback welcome.

thx
Quote Reply
Re: Bike "upgrades" for weight purposes: worth it? [ARA18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy clothing that fits properly (tight) and that will likely save you more time; or a better aero helmet, etc. etc. I'm sure others will chime-in on proper hierarchy of upgrades based on value.

And yes, rider weight and training will do more than saving a few hundred grams. Take the money you would spend and get a coach or buy a formal training plan.

Last comment (and this is just my opinion): if you don't yet have a power meter, that would be a good investment to make rather than focusing on grams of certain components.

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ARA18 wrote:
hi,

would you say it is crazy to look at changing aero bar extensions, chainrings, etc. from aluminium to carbon to save weight vs the cost these have?

would these changes represent that much? i know the new shimano ultegra chainring/crankset is about 680grms and changing to carbon would drop around 400grms... but aero extensions.. what can be the difference?

i know main thing to probably change in reg to being lighter is the actual rider weight, but would these changes make sense at all?

thx

nope.

The time to look at that stuff is if you're changing components for function. If it's in your price range and doesn't sacrifice durability etc, then get the lighter version. But it's not usually worth it to upgrade purely to save weight.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Bike "upgrades" for weight purposes: worth it? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

nope.

The time to look at that stuff is if you're changing components for function. If it's in your price range and doesn't sacrifice durability etc, then get the lighter version. But it's not usually worth it to upgrade purely to save weight.

thx. exactly my point and purpose of my question. aero bar extensions in carbon are nice but alluminium ones do the same job, chaingrings... same.

wanted to know reg how much weight difference can be taken off by exchanging these.

to previous answer, i understand the prioirities for aerodynamics (helmet, tight clothe, etc.). this questions was more in reg to cost vs weight for certain bike products.

cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ARA18 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

nope.

thx. exactly my point and purpose of my question. aero bar extensions in carbon are nice but alluminium ones do the same job, chaingrings... same.

wanted to know reg how much weight difference can be taken off by exchanging these.

to previous answer, i understand the prioirities for aerodynamics (helmet, tight clothe, etc.). this questions was more in reg to cost vs weight for certain bike products.

cheers

you need to look at each component individually to know the answer. Sometimes the aluminium version is lighter than the carbon. e.g. in my bike racing days I used to use a syntace f-99 aluminium stem mated to a 3T Prima 199 bar, which were lighter than anything readily available in carbon at the time. Same with the Thompson masterpiece seatpost (which I still use)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 19, 19 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IME, I would not change that stuff just for the weight. However, if you were making original purchases, I would always choose lighter if the incremental cost is not stupid.

For example, my bike came with an FSA Omega crankset that weighed almost 1 kg. It was a turd. So, when I replaced it, I chose a SRAM Red 22 crankset because it is one of the lightest and stiffest out there. But, if the bike came with a FSA Visoin or Ultegra crankset, I probably would not have changed.

Ditto my cockpit... I bought everything new, so I was getting extensions anyway. I chose the carbon because I liked the non-round shape and they were lighter. Otherwise, I would not have picked them over aluminum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ARA18 wrote:
hi,

thx

Firstly you won't find a crank & chainring for 200g! .
Switching from Ultegra to say Carbon Quarq dzero may save you 100g or so. Most cranks are 500-650g.

I've recently gone through a number of upgrades, partly for weight savings and partly for bling/brand preferences.
Completely depends on your priorities and budget. I've changed a good few things and I'm very happy but that's more with the gear and looks changes than the weight loss. Am I faster as a result - Nope.

So I'd say it doesn't make a big difference. Once rolling there's not much weight has to do with it. And that goes for your body weight also.

Aero trumps all in my experience.
And power obviously...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago at IM Florida awards dinner - Bella Comerford (sp) told the story of unpacking her bike with the fellow pros-- they all looked at her aluminum frame and wheels - and one asked, "it this your training bike?" Nope she replied - she won by a large margin and closed her speech with, "Well, I guess it must be about the engine not the components eh?"

Cased closed! :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fill your water bottles a little less... probably same weight savings, and free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Optimize your tire pressure.

Quote Reply