Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What happened to ceramic coated rims?
Quote | Reply
I remember back in the day getting Mavic ceramic rims and XTR v brakes and it was an amazing improvement. Then disc brakes arrived and that was that.
Why didn’t ceramic coated rims take off in the road bike world? The braking was much better in the wet and the brake tracks lasted forever. The only downside was when a rock hit the track it would chip. I filled a lot of chips with super glue back in the day. But it wouldn’t be much of an issue on a road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to ceramic coated rims? [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are actually a number of recent-release road rims with ceramic (or similar) coatings...Boyd has a version of both the Altamont and Altamont Lite, Aforce Al33, I think DT Swiss has one as well. They're out there. I've had a set of the wheels built with the Aforce rims for a couple years now, and the braking performance is definitely better than a standard machined rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use them for commuting as I was getting through rims way way too quick. However, whilst they were fine in the wet and dry, when it was cold and wet then the 'brakes' were lethal - took a couple of wheel revolutions to get some heat into the pads to then start braking. Not good when cars pull out in front of me.

But still using those rims / pads for the occasional CX race that I now use that bike for. However, as you allude to, once I swapped to avid road disks in 2008 for my commute then there is zero reason to go back. And I guess that in a mass produced world then ceramic rims are pretty niche as a sub niche of high end cycling components given the other choices now available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I *just* ordered some custom wheels yesterday and opted for the Boyd Altamonts without the ceramic coating... The black brake track looks fantastic, but it seems like it doesn't last forever... Should I have opted for the ceramic coated ones?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Vittoria Elusion Nero wheels that are ceramic coated. Braking performance is ok, but I wouldn’t say it’s better than most aluminum rims I’ve used. If you run them with standard pads you’ll probably get great braking, performance, but the pads will wear out quickly. The special pads for ceramic rims are a very hard compound.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to ceramic coated rims? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience with the H Plus Son Archetype rims, one wet Century ride , and the road grit will take that black coating off.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to ceramic coated rims? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
In my experience with the H Plus Son Archetype rims, one wet Century ride , and the road grit will take that black coating off.
The H Plus Son Archetype rims are just a cosmetic anodised finish rather than ceramic, to the best of my knowledge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BITD ... ? !

I’m still riding them ... lol

https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=l0er3wrph8ad

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
Why didn’t ceramic coated rims take off in the road bike world? The braking was much better in the wet and the brake tracks lasted forever.

They are still available, like this DT Swiss wheelset from MBS: https://mybikeshop.com/...c-700c-wheelset.html
Quote Reply