Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Santa Fe, NM Road Biking?
Quote | Reply
I know mountain biking is a big thing in Santa Fe, but how is the road biking?

Good routes, road conditions, driver awareness of cyclists, road cycling community, etc.?

Looking at potential relocation for a job and doing the important research ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Santa Fe, NM Road Biking? [BKyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak much for Santa Fe, I've only done one ride there. Started in Albuquerque and rode south of the mountain and then up to SF on the Turquoise Trail and up to the ski area. Amazing, amazing ride. Hard, but so awesome. I follow a local on Strava and he gets lots of killer rides in around SF. My in-laws live in Albuquerque and are considering moving up to SF. I've done some preliminary research and the cycling looks good for my purposes (a few epic long rides when I'm in town throughout the year). Not sure about the daily, smaller options.

I'll say though, ABQ is my favorite place to ride. Maybe it's because I come from a mostly flat area and I really love the SW landscape, but I just can't get enough. Every time I'm there I'm staring at the mountain trying to think of a way to convince my wife it's cool if I disappear for a few hours to go climb it. Many, many routes with some really great climbing and good roads (compared to Dallas).

Drivers are always very kind and give me plenty of space. That being said, I do know someone who lost their father after being hit. All it takes is one, as you know. My experience has been great, but as always you have to be careful no matter where you are.

Bottom line, you could do much, much worse in terms of locations for cycling. If you get bored of SF options, you're crazy close to Albuquerque or northern New Mexico for some great riding too (Taos).

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply