Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: road tubeless wobble [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your bead isn't set.

deflate it. Put some sealent around the beat and inflate it until you get the tell tale "ping"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Yup. Looked up the cost of a pancake compressor at Lowe's in Canada. $109. I can see it getting a lot of use.

my typical usage, besides inflating bike tires: we have 2 cars, 2 quads, a trailer behind each quad, and 2 trailers: a horse trailer and a dump trailer. we have a lot of tires to keep inflated.

after i wash my bike i used the compressed air to dry it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: road tubeless wobble [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
A pancake compressor is ideal, but if you don't have the money or space for it, then I would suggest getting a trigger activated CO2 inflator like this one that can dump out all the compressed air at once when the trigger is pulled:

So far I have 100% success rate with it, seating 12 road tubeless ready tires without using soapy water, even tires that have been removed from the rim before. I used 20g cartridges, and each cartridge left 120 psi in each 700x23c tire after the beads popped loudly into place.

I understand the 'space' argument, but the cost of those dozen or so 20 gram CO2 cartridges used is getting into entry level compressor territory. Glad to know it works in a pinch though.
Quote Reply
Re: road tubeless wobble [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure. However, I can get 15 of those 20g cartridges for under $28 USD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some tire sealant companies recommend against the CO2 route. Some people theorize it is because the cold air coming out of the CO2 freezes the sealant, and others say it's because the CO2 air is so dry that it doesn't play well with sealant.

It was more expensive, but I bought one of the 2 gallon "Fortress" brand air compressors from Harbor Freight. It was significantly more expensive than a similar sized pancake compressor, but it is radically more quiet (60dba vs about 85dba for a standard pancake compressor).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh wow, that's really inexpensive. I have been curious if the ones they sell at home brewing stores are 'pure' CO2 like bike specific ones. They are less than half of the price of the normal bike shop price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:

Local Walmart, box of 50 for about $18. Threadless type.
Quote Reply
Re: road tubeless wobble [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
RichardL wrote:

Local Walmart, box of 50 for about $18. Threadless type.

Great info. Threadless type is the type I need.
Quote Reply
Re: road tubeless wobble [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
Some people theorize it is because the cold air coming out of the CO2 freezes the sealant, and others say it's because the CO2 air is so dry that it doesn't play well with sealant.
It's sufficient to put the valve at the 12-o'clock position and let the sealant flow down to the bottom of the tire before blasting the tire with CO2. This way the sealant won't be directly hit by the cold gas. As for dry CO2, a good fraction will escape within 24 hours after the tire has been seated, so you will be replacing the lost dry air with normal air anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: road tubeless wobble [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are useless. I have one by Bontrager. I dread using it, and half of the time it won't work. I am ditching it for a pancake compressor for my next tubeless install.
Quote Reply
Re: road tubeless wobble [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
I don't understand these tubeless-specific "charge-up a chamber and dump it into the tire" pumps. A good one will run you $150, a cheap one $70. They require a ton of work to charge the chamber and then you've got one (fairly weak) shot to blow the beads on. You can get a pretty nice compressor for $90, fit it with a ~$25 presta converter and you have a much better solution that can also be used for many other purposes. I've had a cheap 3 gallon compressor for years, it works very well.

Absolutely. And an air compressor comes in handy for other tasks, plus you can buy an endless limit of air tools. Who doesn't want that?

I have a larger compressor that is always pressurized, and I use it for every tire installation, including tubed tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update:

New rim tape.
Remounted tire.
Floor pump filled it in first go!

Only a tiny tiny wobble now. Barely noticeable. I think I'll fill it with sealant and call it a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I know. But with three tubeless bikes and changing between training and race tyres on tri bike several times a year that equals a lot of cartridges seems quite a waste of single use cartridges to me.

For my road wheels never had problems with the airshot. Maybe you aren't using it right ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next