Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No Alcatraz article?
Quote | Reply
Kanute for the win continuing his streak, Malloy #2 with a stellar come back year from near career ending injury...
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcatraz article? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was wondering the same.....Why no love?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2016 olympian joe maloy? Hadnt he retired?
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcatraz article? [looberforce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe no one from the editorial staff was at this event.

Joe Maloy - rocked 2nd place men's Pro field on the Premier Tactical. Hey - I enjoyed it :-)

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes and yes

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, I thought it odd. Guess it was a non event.... ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looberforce wrote:
2016 olympian joe maloy? Hadnt he retired?

Had some major hip surgery and now is back! He also placed well at St. Anthony's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked to be a very fast run from Maloy in this race, judging by how much he out split Kanute and West by. Kanute did what he always does though and dominated the bike.

MPRO Swim
(3) Josh Amberger - 23:41
(1) Ben Kanute - 24:16
(2) Joe Maloy - 24:17
(6) Eric Lagerstrom - 24:29
(10) Jarrod Shoemaker - 24:58
(5) Andy Potts - 25:28
(4) Jason West - 25:33

MPRO Bike
(1) Ben Kanute - 45:10
(5) Andy Potts - 46:48
(3) Josh Amberger - 47:17
(4) Jason West - 47:35
(2) Joe Maloy - 47:41
(6) Eric Lagerstrom - 48:26
(10) Jarrod Shoemaker - 57:38

MPRO Run
(2) Joe Maloy - 43:55
(1) Ben Kanute - 45:26
(4) Jason West - 45:40
(3) Josh Amberger - 46:14
(10) Jarrod Shoemaker - 47:06
(5) Andy Potts - 47:27
(6) Eric Lagerstrom - 48:43
Last edited by: CVH1296: Jun 10, 19 15:06
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcatraz article? [CVH1296] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there. The swim was perfect. Great water temp, perfect visibility, no chop at all.

Turned in a pretty decent performance and came within two hours of winning. If a couple of things had gone my way, like genetics and discipline, I think I could have stolen a podium spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Kanute for the win continuing his streak, Malloy #2 with a stellar come back year from near career ending injury...

We, unfortunately, can't cover every race. We get to as many as we can (and really, we've gotta thank T.C. for the level of effort he puts in each weekend).

Threads like these do help shape decisions as to which races to cover in the future, though, so note taken.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcatraz article? [BowwwwBallll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BowwwwBallll wrote:
I was there. The swim was perfect. Great water temp, perfect visibility, no chop at all.

Turned in a pretty decent performance and came within two hours of winning. If a couple of things had gone my way, like genetics and discipline, I think I could have stolen a podium spot.

So close, bruh.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcatraz article? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always thought of this race as one of the most iconic in our sport. Always a strong Pro field and some of the best Age-Groupers in the country. Is there a non-70.3/140.6 with a stronger field? USAT Nationals maybe?
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Jun 10, 19 17:22
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcatraz article? [BowwwwBallll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BowwwwBallll wrote:

There is always next year!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcatraz article? [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:
I've always thought of this race as one of the most iconic in our sport. Always a strong Pro field and some of the best Age-Groupers in the country. Is there a non-70.3/140.6 with a stronger field? USAT Nationals maybe?

Ehh, strong AG? Or strong wallet AG?.

Pros at Alcatraz are legit, so was wondering why lack of coverage. Past weeks we have seen tons of not so stacked 70.3s reported on ST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree that Alcatraz is stupid expensive and I understand the argument that IMG has priced this race out of reach for many people, but I would argue that entree fees are in reality a small part of what a race costs. Transportation, lodging, meals...etc are a much bigger piece. For me, Alcatraz will be the cheapest race I do this year because it is local.

Anecdotally, I just don't see any evidence that the increase in price that has occurred in the past four years has had any impact on the quality of the field. It is still one of the largest non-ironman races in the country and when you compare finishing times to 5-10 years ago, they appear, anecdotally, to be faster.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcatraz article? [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think the pricing has mixed effects on quality of field. Most people aren't gonna spend that kind of money to race if they aren't ready. Even if it does price out some price sensitive faster athletes, I think you thin out a ton of people who might try it as a first time race otherwise

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcatraz article? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, for sure I think this is a big race on the calendar. Stacked field as well!

Too bad there isn’t more like this on the pro circuit. Those Lifetime races were awesome.

Glad I’m not alone in thinking “wait, that Joe Malloy?” I didn’t know about the injury, just thought he was retiring to be a banker.

Anyone know what Billington is doing?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcatraz article? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what Billington is doing?

-----

Enjoying life and working for corporate world I believe Visa.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I for one stepped away from weekend work as I want to spend time with my family, and actually race and train.

Ran a marathon on Sunday and qualified for Boston, so yeah.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcatraz article? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd disagree - Alcatraz has been a pretty weak field. Sure, great athletes like Potts, Lagerstrom, Cam Dye (last year), but they aren't drawing any of the "top" short course racers to Alcatraz outside of Kanute. Timing of the race makes it hard for any of the ITU guys to do it as a one off race, though, which is a shame

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply