Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Superfrog feedback?
Quote | Reply
Considering doing Super Frog this year, but was curious what peoples experience was with it? I had a couple of concerns:

1. 2 lap swim
2. 4 lap bike course
3. 4 lap run
4. running in sand
5. no pros did it last year (why?)
6. why is it so "cheap"?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog feedback? [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything about the race is wonderful except one big issue for me: The water contamination from Tijuana sewage runoff. I've heard Imperial Beach has been closed many times because of contamination. http://www.sdbeachinfo.com/

I signed up for the race but I'm now seriously considering not doing it.

Anyone else have thoughts about this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you looking a the military or general entry for the race? The General admissions is 325 to 375 which is on the higher end of where 70.3 races cost.
Also aside from Lance Armstrong doing it a couple years back, pros probably don't do this race because of the 4 loop course which might end up causing them to get blocked by age groupers on the bike and the beach run as well.
Last edited by: Charleslo_99: Jun 14, 19 22:30
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog feedback? [wesley1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wesley1 wrote:
Everything about the race is wonderful except one big issue for me: The water contamination from Tijuana sewage runoff. I've heard Imperial Beach has been closed many times because of contamination. http://www.sdbeachinfo.com/

I signed up for the race but I'm now seriously considering not doing it.

It’s a serious consideration. But it’s going to depend on the day. I don’t believe that it’s constantly contaminated (how’s that for faint praise). But there is no sewage treatment for the water coming down that river
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog feedback? [wesley1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wesley1 wrote:

Little fecal coliform doesn't stop SEAL Team 6. GET OUT THERE! But get your hepatitis shots up-to-date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 month earlier, $150 cheaper, is chula vista triathlon. no running in the sand, calm bay swim. pancake flat. Across the bay from the island...
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog feedback? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a great race. The tough swim (past the breakers) and the sand run is a thing if it’s own. Not to mention, I lived in a Coronado for 5 years so the bike was my training course for years. One of my favorite races and it’s for a good cause.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race last year and absolutely loved it.
1) it is a 2 loops swim through surf. Last year we had 5 to 7 foot surf. So yes getting on and out will take some energy. The exit was in a RIP so getting out was tough as well. I swim in Ocean Surf weekly from Jun to Sept with Tower 26 here in LA. So I was prepared, but that does not mean that it was easy.
2) Flat bike 4 loops was not not too bad. Actually the loops went by pretty fast.
3) 4 loops went by fast but getting across the soft sand to the waters edge started to get tough towards the end.
4) Running in the sand was not as bad as I thought it would be. Most of it was at the water line so it was not ALL Softsand. But it was not flat either....
5 and 6 I cannot answer... but probably because all proceeds go to the Navy Seal Foundation.
This is a good race.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
connan23 wrote:
Considering doing Super Frog this year, but was curious what peoples experience was with it? I had a couple of concerns:

1. 2 lap swim
2. 4 lap bike course
3. 4 lap run
4. running in sand
5. no pros did it last year (why?)
6. why is it so "cheap"?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

1. 2 lap swim- Not an issue as long as you are comfortable getting in/out of the surf/break. It has been known to be quite "big", but usually once through it is isn't all that bad.
2. 4 lap bike course- It's flat and fast, just going to be a bit congested due to the amount of laps it is. If you are a fast rider it could be frustrating, but really comes down to what speed you ride at to how frustrating it may be.
3. 4 lap run- I haven't done the new run course, but the previous course I believe was only 2 loops and wasn't bad.
4. running in sand- It wasn't bad on the old course, but not sure how much more/less there is on the new course. If the tides are right you can typically run in the "harder" sand, but not sure if the sand sections are still right along the water or not?
5. no pros did it last year (why?) Quite simple, there hasn't been a prize purse since it became an IM/WTC event.
6. why is it so "cheap"? I don't think it's on the "cheap" side, unless I'm missing something here?

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply