Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
50+ wrote:
windywave wrote:
Attendance is down because it is so fucking expensive to go. 100 bucks for meh tickets 12 bucks for a beer. It's easily 200 to go to a game per person. 20 years ago it was 100 bucks per person and that was leaving the game sloppy drunk.

Wow, where? To see the Jays cheap seat are still $20,00 and behind home plate start at $89.00, beer is $8.75 for a tall can. Food is pretty reasonable to.

Wrigley

You want cheap..... go on the south side you can get in for $7 and basically sit anywhere—-on Wednesdays Hot dogs are $1-
If you want to get sloppy drunk upgrade to “patio party” for $45 (cheaper when offfered on Groupon)—you get unlimited beer/wine (and crap food) for about 2 hours (1 hour before game up to 3rd inning, you can take 2 beers to your seats).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
monty wrote:
Well you're at 40 bucks right now

20 to park now 60

2 Hot dogs nachos and a soda and two beers 40 bucks //

That was what I was thinking, not really going for any jerseys or other crap I can get on amazon for 1/4 the price. And as long as the beers are not Bud, Coors, or Miller. Too much to hope for an actual nice micro brew, but I would settle for a Sam Adams on tap and be happy with that...Do they still make their hot dogs a foot long, with a ton of condiments to make it an actual meal with veggies?? I remember the foot long Dodger dogs, I would put it in a big box, cover it with relish, onions, sauerkraut, and mustard. All the essential food groups in one box!!!

Dude a foot long would probably be 14 bucks (Never neen to a game in LA but that is my guess)

Dodger dog is $6.75.

The better deal however is with their minor league affiliate in Cucamonga. $10 tickets and $3 beer ($4 for something that's not piss) on Tuesdays and Thursdays. A-ball isn't close to major league quality. But you're close to the field, get to interact with players, etc. Everyone once in a while, a Dodger plays a game or two on a rehab assignment. And you get to see young talent. I remember watching both Bellinger and Seager there.
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I was thinking that sounds great, but where the hell is Petco park?? I looked it up, and it is the old Jack Murphy stadium I guess? Anyway, definitely within our driving zone, so will check it out. Thanks for the tip. I also have Dodger stadium close by, but wondering about the traffic situation getting in and out of there, maybe just on weekends...Anyone been there lately??

Dodger stadium is a great park to watch a game, but the traffic can be a pain. You kind of need to make in an entire day -- Saturday afternoon somewhere in LA with the game in the evening.

A better bet is minor league ball. Rancho Cucamonga Quakes are inexpensive, fun for kids, and a good chance of catching a foul ball.
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I can only speak for Toronto but there are a lot of baseball fans in this city but they aren't willing to go watch garbage.

The Jays are in full tear it down mode and the team is crap.

If they become good again, the fans will show up. Jays were selling out virtually every game in 2016.

I've taken the kids to a game the last 3 years, and it's a good time. Given how long the game is, it's good value for money. Having said that, I'm not taking them this year because I expect that the quality of play is going to be worse for the same price. Plus I can watch Vlad strike out from the comfort of my living room.
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
Attendance is down because it is so fucking expensive to go. 100 bucks for meh tickets 12 bucks for a beer. It's easily 200 to go to a game per person. 20 years ago it was 100 bucks per person and that was leaving the game sloppy drunk.

And every game is available from home. I think I'm paying $168 for the season.

I was watching the A's game today, a beautiful Sunday afternoon. They are planning to build a new stadium. They panned around, the place was empty. Listed attendance was just shy of 19k. I'm betting actual was more like 10k. I live 2 hours'ish from Cleveland but with the price it would take a big game to get me there.

Not sure what the answer is. Actual revenue is still going up. No team has been sold for a low price so the money is still there.

I hate watching baseball on TV. You can't see any of the strategies for each batter or how the pitcher reacts except for what they want you to see. I like to see how the infield and outfield rotate on batters and get a better look at what is going on during the pitcher's wind up. Watching the base coaches giving a huge amount of signals to say next to nothing but still really cool to see. You really don't see much on TV except for the pitcher and catcher, that's boring as hell.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [ruby1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ruby1 wrote:
Once us old farts die off, the sport is dead...put a fork in it.

That's what I used to think, but, not so sure anymore. Wifie and I have a 20-pack for the Brewers at Miller Park. We have all Friday night games. I have been shocked by all the yutes ("Uh ... did you says 'yutes?'") in the stadium. Packed with yutes and young families. But, then again, I do watch on tv and see all the empty seats in many stadiums.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We just joined little league this year, and the coach said that the league hadn't been this big in years. So I did a quick search;

https://globalsportmatters.com/...-for-casual-players/

Seems to go along with his observation, across the entire country. I know in my N=1 case, we will be going to games now, ones I haven't been to in over 30 years. So besides the kids getting more involved, passive participation is really growing. It looks to me like there is going to be a good market for the game going forward, in spite of troubles the game has had in the recent past...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I paid $229 for four seats in second row behind dugout with good parking for the Rockies.
My kid has never gone to a game and not gotten a game ball. The benefits of friends with great season ticket seats.

It’s pricy but the seats don’t get better than that. We go one or two times a season.

ETA both my daughter and I have started playing softball in the past three years. It seems to be a slightly saner option for sports relative to soccer- with more room for a laid back recreational participation level.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: May 13, 19 11:29
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every once in a while I can get SF Giants tickets for $2 plus a small fee through SeatGeek.

Tomorrow they are playing the Blue Jays and the tickets start at $5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read an article last year, and I'm trying to search for it but cannot yet find it, that talked about football's continued fall from grace would lead to larger participation in the other major sports with baseball perhaps gaining the most. Reason that baseball would gain more traction than basketball was the simple fact that there are more players on a baseball team than basketball. The article was also hopeful (for baseball's sake) that the further decline in those playing football would lead to increased popularity with baseball among African-Americans since the percentage of MLB players that are African-American is far lower than it had been in the 70's-90's.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Is MLB in trouble? [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
windywave wrote:
50+ wrote:
windywave wrote:

Wow, where? To see the Jays cheap seat are still $20,00 and behind home plate start at $89.00, beer is $8.75 for a tall can. Food is pretty reasonable to.

Wrigley

You want cheap..... go on the south side you can get in for $7 and basically sit anywhere—-on Wednesdays Hot dogs are $1-
If you want to get sloppy drunk upgrade to “patio party” for $45 (cheaper when offfered on Groupon)—you get unlimited beer/wine (and crap food) for about 2 hours (1 hour before game up to 3rd inning, you can take 2 beers to your seats).

As a life long Cubs fan and former north side resident I would agree with this. You also have some incentive to walk around the park (inside the stadium) to check out the various statues and history around them. Not a whole lot of that inside Wrigley.

Tailgating down there is pretty fun as well. You could argue that Wrigleyville is one giant semi-tailgate but there is something about having a dedicated tailgate area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well you're at 40 bucks right now

20 to park now 60

2 Hot dogs nachos and a soda and two beers 40 bucks
Update:
So we did the game yesterday, and just got in-between the rain storms. Great tailgate party, loaded up on all the usual fixins there, and kids got to walk the field. It was $10 to park, $5.50 for a hot dog, and $15 for a 24oz double IPA. I was good with one beer, since I started at 11am(not a morning/noon drinker) so I was able to hit my under $100 target for the day. It was super fun, sun came out, but home team lost(but one the first two games on the series). Have to say though, 7 and 8 year olds really do not watch the game much, it is all about the snacks, big boards, fireworks, waves, and messing around with each other. They did have fun going down to the bull pen and getting autographs. Will definitely go back for some more games, but not taking the whole family, at least not for a few years...
Quote Reply

Prev Next