Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: City of Penticton looking for “signature” triathlon event [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Triathlete's are notoriously cheap and weren't spending a lot of money before and after the race.

What's ironic about the "triathlon demographic" is it's actually REALLY good!! - a little bit older, high income, college/university education, lot's of Professionals, business owners etc . . . but . . as noted when it comes to food, eating and drinking - they are cheap. On the things that restaurants make the most on, the biggest margin area of their menus (meat, booze, deserts), the triathlon crowd tends to steer completely away from this!

If you put the question to Municipal Business Development Officials in charge of attracting conventions, conferences and events to an area - who they would rather have come - 1500 triathletes or 1500, say Doctors/Lawyers - they will ALWAYS choose the "Doctors/Lawyers"!! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: City of Penticton looking for “signature” triathlon event [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hold my beer....

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: City of Penticton looking for “signature” triathlon event [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
I would do a independent half-Ironman if they put one on. All of the indie half’s in MT, ID, and WA have gone the way of the buffalo and Penticton is a relatively short drive from me. The idea of a 500-1000 person field is more appealing than 2000+ to me
Chelanman and Black Diamond are still running independent half-iron distance races last I checked.

Interesting. Black Diamond (which I did in 2016) dropped the half for 2018 which I was bummed as I was going to do it. But you’re right, they are bringing it back this September. Thanks for the heads up.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: City of Penticton looking for “signature” triathlon event [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chelan man sells out fast. It's a fun town without pretensions and a very fun race but with enough challenge to spice it up.
Quote Reply
Re: City of Penticton looking for “signature” triathlon event [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
I never did the race in Penticton (only Whistler 4x) but I remember trying to look into doing Penticton and the accommodations were just insane. Super expensive for a complete dump of a hotel or simply nothing available.

Contrasted with Whistler where the hotels where much nicer, wider variety, and an order of magnitude cheaper. That alone made the difference for me and why I never made it over to the challenge race.

Yep. I raced IMC in Penticton three times, and lodging was always a nightmare.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: City of Penticton looking for “signature” triathlon event [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is some April Fool's joke, but Super League on their website have removed the Penticton Qualifier for this year and moved it to Ottawa
Quote Reply
Re: City of Penticton looking for “signature” triathlon event [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Triathlete's are notoriously cheap and weren't spending a lot of money before and after the race.

What's ironic about the "triathlon demographic" is it's actually REALLY good!! - a little bit older, high income, college/university education, lot's of Professionals, business owners etc . . . but . . as noted when it comes to food, eating and drinking - they are cheap. On the things that restaurants make the most on, the biggest margin area of their menus (meat, booze, deserts), the triathlon crowd tends to steer completely away from this!

If you put the question to Municipal Business Development Officials in charge of attracting conventions, conferences and events to an area - who they would rather have come - 1500 triathletes or 1500, say Doctors/Lawyers - they will ALWAYS choose the "Doctors/Lawyers"!! :-)

I think 'cheap' is the wrong word. Triathletes are notoriously healthy and performance-oriented so they generally avoid alcohol and desserts or consume in moderation. By contrast, doctors and lawyers have a reputation of being much less healthy than the general population. So, yes, if you are selling booze, then you definitely want to target the addict population and not the health-nuts. But be clear, the difference isn't about money, it's about behavior.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20160203-story.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2703249/
Quote Reply
Re: City of Penticton looking for “signature” triathlon event [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think 'cheap' is the wrong word.

Yes - you picked the better word(s) - different behavior. Actually, on the contrary, as a demographic, the tri population is a very good one if you look at some key metrics - education and income. At a minimum they have a university degree and I seem to recall in the last bit of promo stuff I saw from IM, they were saying average income of $150,000/year! But hold the beer and the chocolate mousse desert! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 1, 19 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: City of Penticton looking for “signature” triathlon event [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah. I'm a cheap triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next