Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jan Heine - better bike frames and "planing" [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devolikewhoa83 wrote:
This makes sense physics-wise but i'm curious as to the best way to act on it. Do you just have to try different bikes and get lucky? I'm assuming you could talk to the frame builder if you were going to get a custom frame, and this might be something they have a view on.

But i think my Speedvagen CX bike is still a few years off unfortunately :D

I'm with you. How do we act or try this out? Especially, since Jan says there is a break in or adaptation period.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Heine - better bike frames and "planing" [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Where else could the energy come from?

He breathes easier on the *stiff* frame. Obviously, because he is putting out 12% less power! As I mentioned earlier, he is in the wrong gear on the stiffer bike. I don't understand what they were trying to control, but it sounds like some subjective feeling in the legs (with gearing fixed!) rather than a maximum effort.

I suppose a "good" test would be for group of cyclists to swap back and forth between stiff and flexy frames, and ride an uphill TT like they really want to win. Record power, HR, cadence, and subjective impressions.

Hmmm...if a change of crank length from 175mm to 150mm didn't result in a difference in HR, average power, or time in a hillclimb test I did, how would one expect a difference in frame stiffness to change things?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...erwithin-reason.html

...and, thinking about it some more, I'll bet that difference in crank length resulted in a bigger difference in frame deflection than the stiffness differences in Jan's test :-)

Oh...and my legs felt the same in both runs...breathing too...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Heine - better bike frames and "planing" [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
I'll bet that difference in crank length resulted in a bigger difference in frame deflection than the stiffness differences in Jan's test :-)
Oh...and my legs felt the same in both runs...breathing too...

Frame flex doesn't seem like a good way to modify the force-speed relationship at the pedal. Hysteresis, no way to tune it, and crappy handling in the bargain.

IT wrote:
I'm with you. How do we act or try this out? Especially, since Jan says there is a break in or adaptation period.

I've had really flexy bikes. First was a Japanese glued together aluminum frame that was probably flexier than a Vitus. I liked it ok. Yes, it takes some getting used to having the frame whip all over the place in a sprint... or a technical descent! The bond between the seat tube and bottom bracket came loose and I kept riding it for awhile and I even got used to that. The company replaced it with a steel SL tubed Olmo. That was stiffer but not by a lot. I replaced it with a Klein Quantum which was probably the stiffest frame you could buy in the 80s. It was so much better at everything, IMO.

My advice: buy a stiff frame. If you want to try modifying the force-speed relationship, get oval rings of some kind. Experiment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a 2010 Giant TCR. Enormous downtube. Way too stiff for my liking. Hated adapting to it in March every year when I started riding outside again. Legs would be sore for a couple of weeks. Had good results on it and it went fast but gave no pleasure to ride. Adapted pedaling style by rocking the bike slightly from side to side when to get comfortable and in a good rhythm.

Current Giant Propel has just the right amount of stiffness and needs no adaptation. Also handles better.

Funnily enough, most of my best power datapoints for various durations have been set on steel bike which is notably flexy in BB. Lousy sprinter though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
I am kind of with you. What do we do with this information, if true? He is saying that a flexible bike might flex back at the right time if the the person is in the right gear.

First of all, being in the right gear is key to feel. After that, riders vary so much by size and weight that are we getting into what's a good frame for someone below 150lbs, between 150-175lbs, 175-200lbs and then over 200lbs. Or maybe a better measurement might be watts for a short period of time.

I find it hard to work with the idea that Jan posits.

BQ's test covered a fairly limited scope in many ways, one of which is the ways in which stiffness was varied across the test bikes. The stiffer bike had a stiffer downtube and top tube than the flexier bikes. I think it would be very interesting to see what would happen if a similar test was conducted that also included bikes that only used the stiffer downtube, or only the stiffer top tube, or other comparable variations. That the balance of stiffness between different elements could be important is something that's been alluded to quite a bit in BQ, although they haven't explored it rigorously.

In this context, I think this is interesting because Heine himself has favorably reviewed how many modern frames pedal. He's definitely a fan of the 1940s-French-gravel-bike look, but he doesn't seem to think that modern racing bikes generally pedal badly. Are they stiff, and does that disagree with his "planing" narrative? Maybe. I don't know. Maybe it does to some degree, maybe it's complicated. But I think that this discussion often gets damaged by a lot of folks' assumption that Heine thinks that you need a thinwall steel rando bike to have a good-pedaling bike, which isn't really the case.
Eyeballing my Emonda, the ovalized junction between downtube and BB shell will obviously prevent much lateral flex, but it seems like a big more-circular junction would do a much better job of minimizing torsion. Similarly, the narrow seat tube doesn't look like it wants to intervene very aggressively in the matter. If I had a jig that allowed me to measure how different frames flex in different ways and in different areas, I'd love to see how the different pieces of the Emonda interacted with each other, and compare it with my seemingly-not-so-great-pedaling Campeur... or with any of my other bikes that feel different. Alas, I do not.

But, what I suppose I'm trying to get at... and am probably at best vaguely meandering toward... is what I tried to allude to in my first post of the thread. Which is that maybe this isn't so bleak, because even if Heine is mostly right, it might be the case that a lot of frames work for a lot of riders. And that performance-oriented frames are usually going to be at least pretty good.

I suspect Heine's biggest "planing"/pedaling/whatever beef isn't with racing bikes, but with touring bikes. Perhaps I only suspect that because of the Campeur's seemingly weirdo pedaling. But it does seem to me to be the case. The guy is a big fan of front loading. Partly because the flop effect of front loads can be partially compensated by adjusting steering geometry, whereas rear loads are inevitably tails that wag the dog. But also, perhaps, because a stiffness/flex/whatever profile that's optimal for rear load stability might not be good for pedaling. Maybe. I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

rruff wrote:
He breathes easier on the *stiff* frame. Obviously, because he is putting out 12% less power! As I mentioned earlier, he is in the wrong gear on the stiffer bike. I don't understand what they were trying to control, but it sounds like some subjective feeling in the legs (with gearing fixed!) rather than a maximum effort.

I checked. The drivetrains of the test bikes were derailleur systems, and it doesn't look like they were holding gearing constant. Interestingly, the article specifically claims easier spinning as a benefit of "planing."
Last edited by: HTupolev: Mar 27, 19 23:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
[
My advice: buy a stiff frame. If you want to try modifying the force-speed relationship, get oval rings of some kind. Experiment.

Except, Jim Martin's lab's work basically shows us that the human body quickly adapts to non-round rings by slightly modifying the ankle joint flexing to maintain the rider's "preferred" biomechanics (joint velocities and torques) of the main driver muscles...in other words, as was used in the headline of on online article "Oval rings don't work, because your body won't let them" ;-)

Of course, understanding the above, that also tends to put a pin into the whole "frame planing" balloon as well...

Quote Reply
Re: Jan Heine - better bike frames and "planing" [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By "gearing fixed" I didn't mean a fixed gear, rather that they didn't optimize cadence for the frame they were on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
..in other words, as was used in the headline of on online article "Oval rings don't work, because your body won't let them" ;-)

Good point. Well, I've never been inspired to try them anyway... ;) There is a recent discussion of oval rings on the UKTT forum, where one person said he used them only in races for this reason. But it wasn't for more power or speed, rather he thought he recovered better.

Apparently there is some adaptation going either direction, and guys who are used to frame flex might need a little while to adapt to a stiffer frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
..in other words, as was used in the headline of on online article "Oval rings don't work, because your body won't let them" ;-)

Good point. Well, I've never been inspired to try them anyway... ;) There is a recent discussion of oval rings on the UKTT forum, where one person said he used them only in races for this reason. But it wasn't for more power or speed, rather he thought he recovered better.

Apparently there is some adaptation going either direction, and guys who are used to frame flex might need a little while to adapt to a stiffer frame.

Jim Martin actually found the "adaptation" happens quite quickly...as within the 1st few minutes of a changing...which matches my personal experience when I was riding around with both a 54T round ring and a 54T Osymmetric ring on the same crankset. When switching either way (oval to round, or round to oval) it always felt weird for the first 30 or so pedal strokes and then that became the "new normal"...and then when switching back (either way) it felt weird again.

That was the test where I had the rings mounted to a Quarq spider and then had a PT wheel in the rear. It was pretty obvious seeing the round ring power match the PT and then the non-round ring cause the Quarq to read high (PT power stayed constant) when switching back and forth between them. Fairly definitive proof of "non-round ring power inflation" on certain power meters ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
That was the test where I had the rings mounted to a Quarq spider and then had a PT wheel in the rear. It was pretty obvious seeing the round ring power match the PT and then the non-round ring cause the Quarq to read high (PT power stayed constant) when switching back and forth between them. Fairly definitive proof of "non-round ring power inflation" on certain power meters ;-)

That was a damn fine test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
By "gearing fixed" I didn't mean a fixed gear, rather that they didn't optimize cadence for the frame they were on.

Yes, that's what I meant. I think that they shifted at will in the test.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Mar 28, 19 9:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Jim Martin actually found the "adaptation" happens quite quickly...as within the 1st few minutes of a changing..

Good stuff!

Makes me think that Heine was specifically trying *not* to adapt or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if he has tried the Z-shaped / L-shaped cranks, and what his opinion is on them.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Mar 28, 19 11:19
Quote Reply

Prev Next